The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Please help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Now I don't want to be a Blaine clone, but I really like just going up to people and asking them if they want to see some magic. I don't care about getting paid right now, I wan't to get experience performing for strangers before I even start thinking abou that. So I was wondering, can any of you recomend any good card effects, or really any kind of effect I can do standing up? Here is my list of effects I have that blaine does NOT do: Red hot mamma, Lethal Tender, The M5 System, pen thru dollar, and the web. I have many other effects but either they have been done by blaine already, or you need a table to perform them(i.e. Reset). I would really apreciate your help!

I just want to say, after reading my post it sounds like all I do is gimmicks, I have very many sleight of hand effets also, it's just most of them cant be done standing up. The ones I can do are: 2 card monte red hot mamma and out of sight out of mind. And am working on an ambitious card routine. If you could recommend any good card effects I can do standing up Please do.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Work on developing a good ambitious card routine. The methods can be varied and you'll be able to practice almost any sleight you'll ever need by doing this one trick and all it's variations. From there you can springboard to other effects, but this will be a good foundation and a great stand up effect to boot.

Steven Smile
Coram Deo
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
I have been getting into Ring and String magic. The string takes up very little pocket space, and you can borrow a spectator's ring, making that much more powerful.

Also, get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. There is so much good stuff there.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Jack Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh UK
130 Posts

Profile of Jack Bryce
Lots of tricks can be adapted from using a table to in the spectators hands, provided they are not counting card tricks they go down very well!

I use the spectators hands as a table most of the time and it seems the magic happens in their hands.

Just ask the spectator to cup both hands and deal or place the card or cards in the join between their palms, they are then less likely to try and turn the cards over! Smile
http://www.jackbrycemagic.co.uk

I never forget a face but in your case I will gladly make an exception...Groucho Marx
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I love to perform a sponge ball routine to people. You can walk up, show them a ball and then make it disappear. After that they are usually hooked, and you can do the rest of the routine, most of which is in the spectators hands. I adapted my routine from Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic.

It gets a great response, and I agree, it is fun just to walk up to people and perform some magic just for the experience it gives you and the experience it gives them!

Have fun,
Chad
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Are Spongeballs a good trick? I dunno, they never really fit my style but I might be suprised. I heard girls like them though. Smile Smile Do they have books on sponge ball magic? Wich one is the best? Thanx for all the help guys!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Ryan Anthony
View Profile
New user
Whidbey Is. WA
13 Posts

Profile of Ryan Anthony
Their are many books. I learned my first routine from mark wilsons. you may also want to check out the 25 tricks with sponge balls video sold at most magic shops
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
Sponge balls kill. I didn't I ever use them either. But one night when I was working a cocktail party several years ago, I was on a roll, but running out of material. I happen to have a set of SB's on me and just desided to use them on a lady that was a real screamer. It turned out to be the best bit I did that night. Since then, I don't leave home without them - they always get a good response. The Mark Wilson course has a great basic routine - start there. Then check out Brad Burts Video on the subject.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Spongeballs are a terrific effect! There's a ton of variations but I can get 5 minutes of solid entertainment out of some spongeballs and a purse frame. When you consider the price of the props vs the amount of magic you can squeeze (no pun intended) out of them you can't not add a spongeball routine to your repertoire.
qenny
View Profile
New user
Scotland - New Zealand - London
57 Posts

Profile of qenny
I know you asked about stand up card effects, TheNightBringer89, but you might also want to look at Gregory Wilson's two DVDs "Off The Cuff" and "On The Spot". From what you've described, it sounds like the material you would find on those disks would suit your style well.
Qenny
Sleightly Twisted
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
I have to say that spongeballs are a great effect and you don't have to be superprecise with your sleights as they are a 'forgiving' medium (of course, you still can't be sloppy). I do a little street work and the simple highly visual sponge stuff is often better received than far more skilful effects and flourishes. All the laymen are blown away by them. I wouldn't walk on to a street without some sponge stuff.

Try it once and you'll be hooked.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Please help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL