The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning the glide (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
I have the video Encyclopedia of Card Sleights and the Card College books. I'm trying to learn the glide... here is my problem.

If I start from the basic position with my index finger on top side and my thumb on other middle side, I can easily glide off the top card with my other 3 fingers. However, getting into that position naturally from some kind of starting dealer position is really impossible.

If I am holding the cards in a dealer position, as my palm turns over to place the cards down, my fingers need to make all sorts of adjustments to perform the glide. For one thing, your index finger moves to a new position, your 3 lower fingers that perform the glide need more surface area and leverage, and your thumb usually needs to exert pressure as well. There is no way I can get into that position naturally...

So I'm figuring out its REALLY hard to learn a technique from a video or book. What do I do next?

Wahooka
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Just keep practicing it. or just don't use it, I don't. I've been doing card magic for over a year and I've never used the glide once in performance.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I love the Glide, magicians can pick it out in a second, but it has always fooled laypeople for me. I use my right hand to position the cards properly in the left hand.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Just grab the deck with your right hand, and position your left hand in the proper position. Practice doing this so that you don't fidget. Non-magicians won't think anything about it.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I agree with marty.sasaki! The glide is sooo useful, and it's really easy- you're over analyzing it! Once you can do it so you are comfortable with it, trust me, you're doing it right! Non-magicians won't think anything of it, and your hand provides almost total cover for the glide'ed card anyhow- even if they are burning you like a James Randi at a seance...

Quote:
On 2007-12-27 22:48, marty.sasaki wrote:
Just grab the deck with your right hand, and position your left hand in the proper position. Practice doing this so that you don't fidget. Non-magicians won't think anything about it.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 22:48, marty.sasaki wrote:

Yeah, using your right hand, this is the easiest way of doing it...

but if any of you have watched the Encyclopedia of Card Sleights video, Daryl the Magician does it with only one hand... I've watched it over and over and I still don't see how he does it so smoothly..
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Um... well....Daryl ***HAS*** been doing it for like 40 years+/- ...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Nothing that a few hundred hours of practice won't solve.

Reminds me of the time I asked Harry Levine how long it took him to learn his riffle pass. Even staring directly at his hands I couldn't see it. Harry's ACR didn't use a single double lift, he would just use the pass to get it to the top.

Harry explained that he had a one hour bus ride to get into school. So he practiced the pass on the ride into school, and on the way home, every day for two years. He then smiled and said "start practicing..."
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
Yes, I would practice it if I knew what he was doing,... his sleight of hand is so good, I can't even tell from the video what is going on...
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Wahooka: I'm also having trouble learning the glide. The diagrams in Royal Road are hard to understand, (For me, at least,) but its getting better.

Slowly...

I guess if you just keep doing it, you'll develop a way that's comfortable for you and still looks convincing.

Good luck. Smile
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Don't worry about one handed orientation. Just grab the deck with your thumb along one side and your fingers on the other side and just do it. Like all new things it will feel clumsy at first, but don't worry. Even though it may not look natural to you, don't worry. If you aren't staring at the deck and do it in an offhand way, no one will suspect.
Marty Sasaki

Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
Ok,... I figured out that he sort of switches from a dealer position to an elevated dealer position pushing the cards up with the index finger...

But yeah, I think the advice to use 2 hands is probably best! Thanks!

It does occur to me that learning sleight of hand from books is VERY difficult (Royal Road is complicated book I've heard), and even though video would seem easier, it is still pretty confusing...

Hmm.. how much does Ricky Jay charge for lessons?

:)
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I think I learned it from "The Practical Encyclopedia Of Magic" by Nicolas Einhorn. It has a lot of great stuff in it for beginners, big colorful pictures too!
Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
Ok, I might check out that book, sounds good.. although I did invest in "Card College" and right now I'm finding that very confusing for some reason..
Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
EUREKA!

I figured out the one hand technique...

For those who want to learn from my efforts:

Hold the cards in a dealer position, push the index finger upwards while applying pressure on the thumb to hold the cards. Move your index finger now to the upper corner of the deck alongside the other 3 fingers...apply pressure, and now turn the palm downwards.

From this transition, you can do the glide with only one hand...

:)
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
There are several variations and explanations of the Glide in the book, "The Wild Card Kit" by Jon Racherbaumer. I know you would find a method that is comfortable for you in there. The best for me is the one where the bottom card does not even slide, it tilts instead. It is very deceptive and easy with practice. If you do Wild Card, that book is must have.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
That tilt move is accomplished by the pinky of the hand holding the deck. The card is pivoted a little and then squeezed by the pinky on the corner, causing a tilt and an opening to extract the card. Borrow the book or buy it, but definitely check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning the glide (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL