The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wandy vs. Liddell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
In UFC 79: Nemesis

So UFC 79 is tomorrow night, and I am excited for it. Some nice fights set up for it.

Main Fight Card

Interim welterweight championship bout: Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre

So we have the rubber match(the third fight between two fighters who each have one win over each other) between former 9 time welterwight champion, and former champ George St. Pierre (who won the title from Hughes but later lost it)

Matt Hughes was supposed to fight the man who last beat GSP, Matt Serra (current WW champ), however; Serra was forced out of the fight with a back injury.

I am predicting GSP to win this fight. Why? Cause in their first fight GSP was ahead on the score card over Hughes but got caught in an armbar with 5 seconds left on the clock. In their second fight GSP dominated Hughes and won by TKO. So I predict a late third early 4th round T/KO win for GSP. *knock on wood*

Light heavyweight bout: Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva

This fight has been a long time coming. It was set up a couple times, but events stopped it from taking place. People have wanted to see this for a while. Why? Cause both fighters are known for their knock outs. They all have an impressing highlight reel. However, both men are coming off of 2 loses in a row. So this may determine a decline of one and the rise of another.

Personally I find this hard to call. Chuck's last fight he lost to an average fighter by decision. I guess he was too use to having 5 rounds and is too much of a counter fighter. I hope that loss has put him back on track. Wandy has a lose by KO by a guy who isn't really know for his punching power. I predict a tough battle with a late second or mid third round win for Chuck.

Light heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs. Cameroon Rameau Sokoudjou

I am predicting that Machida will win mostly likely by unanimous decision. Why? Cause I have learned you don't bet against Machida...

Lightweight bout: Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard

We have a striker, Guillard, vs a grappler (Clementi) in this fight. I don't know why I chose what I did, but I predict Rich to win by submission in the late second or early third round. Melvin just never really impressed me.

Heavyweight bout: Eddie Sanchez vs. Soa Palalei

I am predicting Soa to win. How I think it can go a lot of ways. But all I know is that Eddie Sanchez really doesn't impress me. Certainly doesn't strike me as that talented. But it'll probably end in a T/KO by Soa for the win.

Preliminary Card

Light Heavyweight bout: James Irvin vs. Luis Cane

Cane for the win cause I don't like Irvin heh.

Welterweight bout: Tony DeSouza vs. Roan Carneiro

I'll say Roan cause he has put up a good fight against some good fighters, and Tony hasn't fought in the UFC in a year. So Roan ftw by submission.

Lightweight bout: Nate Mohr vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Manvel, probably by decision.

Middleweight bout: Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev

Jordan for the win. Dean isn't that consistent.

Lightweight bout: Doug Evans vs. Mark Bocek

Mark, simply because he is Canadian.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've dedicated my life to nick naming these fighters, here are the ones for this fight:

Matt "The Howard" Hughes vs. Georges "Sissy Name" St. Pierre

Chuck "The Ice Man" Liddell vs. Wanderlei "The Love Donkey Silva

Lyoto "El Machino" Machida vs. Cameroon "The African Nation" Sokoudjou

Rich "Sounds Like an STD" Clementi vs. Melvin "The Undie Puller" Guillard

Eddie "Dirty" Sanchez vs. Soa "The Seamstress" Palalei

: James "Washington" Irvin vs. Luis "Walking" Cane

Tony "The Coat Rack" DeSouza vs. Roan "The Bone" Carneiro

Nate "Gimme" Mohr vs. Manvel "The Manimal" Gamburyan

Dean "Pretty Baby" Lister vs. Jordan "Really, it's Jordan" Radev

Doug "The Donut" Evans vs. Mark "The Correct Box" Bocek
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I think Liddell is going to have his hands full with Silva. Also, St. Pierre looks very strong. It appears to me that Hughes doesn't have the power he had earlier in his career.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
For both of those fights, GSP/Hughes & Liddell/Wandy I would have liked the experience of Big John as the ref, but he retired... Shame

I find it kind of interesting that Wandy beat Rampage twice, and Chuck has lost to Rampage twice heh. I just think Chuck just got pulled out of his usual counter fighting strategy by Rampage's taunts. It's not an excuse, he did get his arse kicked in that fight. It'll either be a good fight or very anti-climactic between Liddell and Silva heh.

God I want to see Hughes take another beating. Such a jerk. I was watching the countdown to UFC 79, when there were interviewing GSP and came to the subject of Hughes smiling and laughing his arse of when Serra beat him... physically he showed no real reaction. His eyes said "I'm going to beat your head in..."

I do wonder about what GSP will do against Hughes. He showed some nice wresting skills against Koscheck. But he also showed a strong striking ability last time against Hughes. I wonder what he is going to do... I wonder if Hughes game plan has changed... He couldn't even get close to a take down on GSP last time. lol I wonder if he's going to fake anymore kicks to the groin ha ha ha

See you space cowboy...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Please, use their nick names when discussing these brawlers.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Also Georges took this fight on 1 months notice so you would think he may have not been in peak performance at the time. Apparently he says he was training for wrestling to try and get in the Olympics. Which may be more evidence to him trying to make this a ground game against Hughes...

See you space cowboy...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You do know it is all fake right?
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Anything entertaining is Smile

See you space cowboy...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Darn, I was hoping to get you guys riled, didn't work...good for you sir!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
One guy in a bar with a broken beer bottle and the other guy with a knife taking on a guy with a 9mm is a real fight.
It is very entertaining though.
Logically it could be deduced that it is thus fake.
Please do not tell anyone I reasoned like this as I am afraid some members here might get angry at the fallacies in my reasoning.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Based on your description I can safely say that I have ben in real fights!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
5 hours until I see it... Grrr

See you space cowboy...
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
The PPV is NOT working in my area! It seems that most of northeastern Ohio, and parts of Canada are having problems getting the fight. Smile
- C
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
***SPOILERS***UFC 79: Nemesis***SPOILERS***

That was a pretty good night of fights. I didn't call them all, but just the ones that mattered.

Main Fight Card

Interim welterweight championship bout: Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre

Well I didn't call the method or round of the win, but I am still happy. GSP dominated Matt Hughes in every facet of the game! It was very entertaining watching that smug jerk Hughes take that beating. The look on his face when he verbally tapped out was priceless.

First round, all GSP. Landed a couple good kicks, but it was his take down defense that was impressive. Matt couldn't get close to a take down. In fact GSP was able to take down Hughes at will. If there was another minute or so on the clock the fight would have been stopped. GSP had Hughes pressed against the cage and punching away at him. Second round, again able to take Hughes down and out wrestle him. And finally ended up with a possible triangle choke on Hughes AND went for a kimura, which then turned into an arm bar with Hughes submission. Great fight!

Light heavyweight bout: Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva

I really didn't expect this to go to a decision! And I have to say that Wandy has a great chin, he took quite a few of Chucks right hands and remained standing. He was rocked a few times, and possibly playing possum one time in an attempt to lure Chuck into a trap.

I do believe that if this fight happened more times it'd be a toss up. Both of them displayed a very impressive stand up game. I think Chuck was rocked quite a few times as well from Wandy's punches, he is very good at hiding when he is stunned though. I could tell he knew he didn't think he could KO Wandy when he went for, and got a take down, on Wandy at the start of the second round. That was just something to add points to the score card for him, which he did again at the end of the third round

It was a nice battle, not quite a Forrest vs. Stephan 1, but good. They were both bashed up at the end, Wandy just a little more, had a pretty bad cut over his right eye from an elbow Chuck threw. Chuck landed a pretty good spinning backfist near the middle of the third round, didn't connect properly, hit Wandy with his forearm, but it still rocked Wandy. And Chuck advanced throwing all he had trying to KO him. After that he paced himself and ended the third round with a takedown on Wandy for the win.

Light heavyweight bout: Lyoto Machida vs. Cameroon Rameau Sokoudjou

I am pretty happy this went all the way. I got it right that Machida won, however; it was by triangle choke. Sokoudjou didn't seem comfortable in the fight, Machida kept throwing some pretty good kicks. Sokoujou didn't seem to have any specific plan of attack, and lost because of it.

Lightweight bout: Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard

Once again I was right, Clementi Choked out Melvin (who has lost 3/5 of his last fight from a choke) near the end of round one. So it ended a lot quicker than I thought.

Heavyweight bout: Eddie Sanchez vs. Soa Palalei

I got it wrong, Eddie won. And OMG this was the most boring fight of the night... Soa displayed no talent in any facet of mma. All he did was throw haymakers and tied up with Eddie. And it went on for nearly 3 rounds. The fight ended by referee stoppage near the end of round 3. Apparently due to an injury to Soa's eye I believe. Personally, I just think the Ref ended the fight cause he was tired of watching them waste time.

4 out of 5 right on the main card? I'll take that.

Preliminary Card

Light Heavyweight bout: James Irvin vs. Luis Cane

Janes Irvin apparently won this fight, it wasn't aired so I didn't see it. Apparently He won by disqualification when Cane delivered an illegal knee to Irvin

Welterweight bout: Tony DeSouza vs. Roan Carneiro

Well it was Roan for the win but not by submission. He defeated Tony by TKO in the middle of the second round. This fight was not aired.

Lightweight bout: Nate Mohr vs. Manvel Gamburyan

Manvel won but not by decision. He was pressing the action and it ended by submission pretty quick in the first round. Won via a leg lock, which looked like it hurt Nate pretty bad.

Middleweight bout: Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev

Dean Lister took this fight via unanimous decision, all the judges scoring it 30-27. This fight was not aired.

Lightweight bout: Doug Evans vs. Mark Bocek

The Canadian pulls through with a unanimous decision over Bocek all judges scoring it 29-28. Must have been a close fight. This fight was not aired.

And I have 3 out of 5 right for the undercard.

See you space cowboy...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Oops! the last fight should say:

"Lightweight bout: Doug Evans vs. Mark Bocek

The Canadian pulls through with a unanimous decision over Evans all judges scoring it 29-28. Must have been a close fight. This fight was not aired.

But I got the canadian part right heh.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wandy vs. Liddell (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL