The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Charlie Frye at SCAM Con soon ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
I thought I'd posted this here but can't find it so ...

The funny and talented juggler and variety artist (and fellow Ringling Brothers Clown College alumnus) Charlie Frye will be at the South Carolina Association of Magicians Convention (SCAM Con for short) January 18 & 19th, 2008 in Columbia, SC. Charlie is scheduled to do a lecture Friday from 4-5 PM and then headline the public show Saturday at 7:30PM.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with Charlie from his articles in "Juggle" Magazine called "Eccentricks" and his series of 3 DVD's, "Eccentricks I, II, III".

My brother, AL & I (the Fettucini Brothers) will be there just schmoozin' so if you can make it be sure to come up and say, "Hey".

For more info on Charlie and the Con visit:

http://charliefrye.com

and

http://www.scamcon.org

Tickets for the show are available to the public.

Apologies if this is repeat information here ...

Aloha-ha,
Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I'd love to go and see him but unfortunately I'm firstly in England and not South Carolina and also appearing in the show at BoB (Bristol one-day juggling convention).

Nigel

and I thought they'd never want me to perform at a juggling show
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-29 10:59, itshim wrote:
I'd love to go and see him but unfortunately I'm firstly in England and not South Carolina and also appearing in the show at BoB (Bristol one-day juggling convention).

Nigel

and I thought they'd never want me to perform at a juggling show

Ok, being in England is no excuse for not being there. Having a booking, however, is a legitimate excuse !! Good luck with your show.

Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
YAY!!!!!!!!
I will be playing Columbia with Ringling that week Mike!
And I just mapquested it and the Arena is blocks away from the Hotel!!!
Count me in!

Larry
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Cool ... that's great to hear Larry !! Consider yourself counted.

Cap'n
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Yeah, Larry,

Charlie Frye will be lecturing on Friday afternoon, plus we're having a small group for dinner with them (special event for the Soc of Young Magicians)!

Aye Aye Cap'n

See ya there
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Hey John,

Cool to see you chiming in here. I'm really looking forward to this clambake - it's going to be a blast !!

Come one, come all, we'll see you there ...

Cap'n Mike
aka Alfresco Fettucini
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Great SCAM Convention everybody. I saw Larry Clark and the Boys from the Big Show for a short while as they came over Friday afternoon to see me (OK, no they didn't - they really came to meet Charlie). We all hung out with Charlie before the start of his workshop but the circus guys had to get back to do a show.

Charlie's workshop Friday afternoon was a solid hour of what he calls "darn good gags" and I would agree - they were all darn good and funny. A few I recall from the Eccentricks DVD's and of course most of it was presented with big emphasis on magic rather than juggling and manipulation. He blew all the magicians away toward the end of his workshop with his version of the "Any card named at any number" trick. He didn't offer any explanation for that one and it sure had everyone guessing at the methods he used.

On Saturday he did almost entirely the second half of the show seperated by one other act. He did his juggling and manipulation set then came back and closed with all magic. Solid, solid stuff - a real pro and very entertaining. He came down to the lobby back at the hotel after the show and hung out with everyone and for those who stuck around late enough, he ended up holding court at one of the tables and just flooring everyone with ~20 minutes of amazing card routines including 'any card named at any number' trick twice more.

This was my first magic convention (except for the times years ago that I'd crash the MagiFest in Columbus, sorry Jeb) and I enjoyed the competitions, shows and workshops and dealers room and hanging in the lounge with everyone and staying out until 4:00AM with a bunch of folks and getting 3 1/2 hours sleep and then getting asked to judge the close-up competition after only 1 cup of coffee. Apologies to the circus folks as I had every intention of going to their building that morning but realized after the close-up contest that I was too late. Good thing these things aren't every weekend or I'd never get any sleep.

Aloha-ha,
Cap'n Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
I was good to see you Cap'n!

Larry
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-01-24 13:59, just_larry wrote:
I was good to see you Cap'n!

Larry

I was good to see you, too ...

Cap'n
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Charlie Frye at SCAM Con soon ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL