The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Carl Ballantine et. al. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Anybody know where I can find videos with Carl Ballantine doing his act?
I remember seeing a few minutes of him in a performance a long time ago, but I have never seen much more than a few minutes.
I have done a few light searches on the net and have found squat.
He was hilarious Smile and I'd love to have some of his work to watch whenever I want.
Thank God for VCR's and DVD's

I am also looking for Steve Martin's comedy magic act(s).
I saw a piece of his work where the audience asked him to do some magic or ballooning.
He said he had nothing with him, but he'd try to blow up invisible balloons and put words in them. That way when they popped the words would come out. He then demonstrated.
I almost hurt myself laughing. Smile Smile Smile

I know that there must be others like them out there too, so if anyone knows where I can find these or other comedy magicians on video, please let me know.
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I beleve Carl Ballantines act is on one of the Mark Willsons Magic Circus tapes.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yeah, I'd love to see Steve Martin's magic routine also. I heard it was on Johnny Carson. He was called, "Flydini." Anyone know if it's available? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Flydini is on the Carson tapes sold through the infommercials. I know this from watching them at 4:00 in the morning.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I only remember seeing him do a guest spot on Night Court in the 80's.

Ellen
Donovan Deschner
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
24 Posts

Profile of Donovan Deschner
Steve Martin also wrote and produced a great little cartoon called "Morto the Magician" you can find it at:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/morto.html

-DD
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Donovan,

That is truly a funny clip, I had seen it some time ago and wished I had remembered the url. Thanks!! Smile
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Ha! That is funny. Smile

Brian
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17070 Posts

Profile of joseph
Is Mr. Ballentine still with us? Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Great Ballantine is still alive and still performing! That in itself is an amazing trick given that he was born September 27, 1922.

Like you, I'd love to see video's of his act. I remember him from the Ed Sullivan and the Steve Allen shows (that dates me!).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: Carl Ballantine is a god!

I seem to remember seeing a description in a catalog of a comedy tape called something like "The Young At Heart Comedians." It included Ballantine, along with Henny Youngman and other old pros. It's probably out of print by now. *Sigh*

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Hey guys, sorry about the time lapse, I seem to lately be swamped and haven't had a lot of time to come to TMC, and guess I forgot this post. Thanks for the responses, It's good to see that people still remember Mr Ballantine.
Harry, Where is he Performing? I probably won't get to see him, but if by chance, I get anywhere near there, I'm sure going to try.
Joe, I'll be looking for that tape also. If I find it, maybe we could pass it around. It sounds good.

Maybe if we can find him we could send Mr Ballantine
some type of birthday greeting since his B'day is only about a month away. It would be nice for him to know that people from all over still appreciate his work.
Steve Smile
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Wouldn't that be a nice idea? Does anyone know if there's a way to contact Mr. Ballantine by email? I think it'd be great if everyone here at the Magic Café could sign a birthday email to him.

Whadaya think? Anyone got any thoughts about this?

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I remember Ballantine because he was on Macale's Navy. Anyone else remember him on that show?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Joe
That sounds like a great idea to me, but I have no idea of how to get it started.
Help!!!
Steve Smile
zzz

James
I first saw Mr. Ballantine on Mc Hales Navy, Loved that show. He was my favorite, with Tim Conway coming in second.
We really ought to work on finding an address for him, and get him a card.
Maybe Harry knows more.
I'll Pm him and ask.
Steve Smile
zzz

Well, so far no email address. However, I did find a site on google with famous peoples addresses, and this is what they had for him;

Carl Ballantine
6767 Forest Lawn Dr #115
LA CA 90068

http://www.kiva.net/~rcombs/G.htm

I am hoping that this is not the famous "Forest Lawn" cemetery. I'll send out a letter tomorrow and see if anything comes back. In any case keep looking, and I'll keep you updated.
Steve Smile
zzz

[Ps It is 19 Sep 2003, and I am editing this post, so as not to cause confusion. The ADDRESS I gave above is wrong. go down to Pete Biros' post (3rd one below this) for the correct address for Mr Ballantine. Sorry for the mix up, and thanks again Pete]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Steve,
Let us know if he responds. He's actually not too far from me. His picture is on the wall of the Magic Castle. I wonder if he ever performs there, if he is still performing, as Harry said.
Jim
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Jim
As soon as I hear anything, I'll post it.
Hopefully, he's got i-net access, then we could do something from the Café.
Steve Smile
zzz
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I usually see Carl ever week or so... Took him to see his Dr. a while back, the Doc said, "Keep doing what you are doing and you'll live to be 80." Carl answered, "I'm past 80 already."

I do not believe the Forest Lawn address is his. I think that was a gag.

2575 Beachwood Dr., Hollywood, CA 90068 is what I have.

He really isn't performing the Amazing Mr. Ballantine act anymore... he did a couple of one-off spots at a convention last year... he's working on a pilot as a magician's dad, on a possible series.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Pete,
That sounds like it could be a fun show. Hope it gets made. If they shoot a pilot, let us know. Maybe we could get a peek at the pilot, even if it doesn't make it to the little screens. (Most pilots never get picked up as a show.)
Jim
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
The only complete video I have seen of Ballantine's act was in a TV special called "Magic At The Roxy" and this was back in the early eighties. Other magicians on this show included a young David Copperfield.
Also, check for the episode of Car 54 where Carl does some magic at a party. He had a continuing role playing the husband to Tuddy's wife's sister. Ballantine would always shut up his wife's rambling character by saying, "That's all Rose".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Carl Ballantine et. al. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL