The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Carl Ballantine et. al. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Whoa, I have definitely been away too long.
Thanks Pete, Jim, and RC4MAG, that's more info than I've been able to get on him in all the time I have been looking.

Pete, I am envious of you being able to help out taking him around and all.
How long have you known him? Sounds like you two must be good friends, and they are a commodity that is hard to come by.
Guess I still have time to get him a card off to the right address.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Pete when you see him again, wish him well for us, and if he has the time tell him we'd love to hear from here at the Café.
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz

Ps and be sure to let us know when that pilot gets out, so we can be sure to catch it.

PPs anybody got a copy of any of the afore mentioned shows that they would be willing to share/sell???
Thanks again
Smile Z

My mind must be slipping,
Thanks for the Address correction Pete.

Quote:
On 2003-09-10 00:27, Pete Biro wrote:
I usually see Carl ever week or so... Took him to see his Dr. a while back, the Doc said, "Keep doing what you are doing and you'll live to be 80." Carl answered, "I'm past 80 already."

I do not believe the Forest Lawn address is his, I think that was a gag.

2575 Beachwood Dr., Hollywood, CA 90068 is what I have.

He really isn't performing the Amazing Mr. Ballantine act anymore... he did a couple of one-off spots at a convention last year... he's working on a pilot as a magician's dad, on a possible series.

I'll go back and try to correct the address in my prior post so as to not mess anyone up.
Thanks again Pete
Steve Smile
zzz
WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
Quote:
On 2003-09-10 00:27, Pete Biro wrote:
I usually see Carl ever week or so... Took him to see his Dr. a while back, the Doc said, "Keep doing what you are doing and you'll live to be 80." Carl answered, "I'm past 80 already."

I do not believe the Forest Lawn address is his, I think that was a gag.

2575 Beachwood Dr., Hollywood, CA 90068 is what I have.

He really isn't performing the Amazing Mr. Ballantine act anymore... he did a couple of one-off spots at a convention last year... he's working on a pilot as a magician's dad, on a possible series.

Mr. Biro, maybe you can let him know how fond we all are of him and his talent. I know if he put out a tape of his act, we'd all buy it!!
PaulGinsberg
View Profile
New user
New York
12 Posts

Profile of PaulGinsberg
Some people are real tresures.. and Carl Ballantine is one. You can watch his act a hundred times, and laugh each time, even though you know what's coming. Last week I had the good fortune to see Dr. Irwin corey do his comedy routine and I cried. Long live the comedy greats.
bobdomeros
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobdomeros
Ballantine's comedy timing during was brilliant. The first time I saw a televised performance of his was when I was a kid. I was very involved in magic, and I remember at the beginning of his act starting to watch him so very closely to discover all the secrets to his tricks!

Has anyone put together a classic comedy magic videotape, of just the performances? Who would you put in such a tape?
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Maybe someone knows how the sitcom is coming along?
Pete?

Here is a link to the site that describes it.
Find the "Our Ghost Star" menu link for more on Ballantine.

Man, I would really like to see The Great Ballantine again...
Smudge
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Smudge
His act is on an early Copperfield special. I have it on VHS somewhere. he's fantastic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I will likely see Sam (his real name, not Carl) at a 4th of July party and will tell him all the computer geeks here wish him well.

He was at the Castle doing a bit last night, but not his act.

There are a lot of shows, Ed Sullivan, and others, that are out there with his act featured.

I used to count the laughs per minute of various comedy variety acts and no one came close to "The Amazing Mr. Ballantine."

:kermit:
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Pete
Do send him our regards, and see if a tape is or could be in the works. We would really enjoy that. I spend -0- money on new tapes, or supplies, (3 Daughters in college) but I would buy this right off the shelf in a heartbeat.
God Bless
Steve
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
For those who want to see the great Carl Ballentine, get to the IM KonKlave in Fort Smith, Arkansas August 13-14.

The guest of honor will be Mr. Ballentine. Other classic notables will include Mark Wilson and Lee Grabel.

More info: http://invisiblelodge.org/konklave.html

:bikes:
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1156 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Hopefully Robert Baxt will have a chance to respond to his post. He has become very close friends with Mr. Ballantine and spends quite a bit of time with him.

Hocus Pocus was trying to obtain any footage available on Carl to make a DVD. In talking with Paul Gross and Robert, I know somewhere...and I have been spending plenty of time going through old tapes (I never label them like I should), I have 2 or 3 clips of him. Haven't found them yet though. They told me that Carl mentioned he had absolutely no copies of any of his television work and really wanted to have some. So they are soliciting any copies of him you may have in the hopes they can forward it to him.

Carl was a heck of a guy. It was a true pleasure and surprise to find out I was sitting right behind him at a Lance Burton show in 2000. In the middle of the show, Lance announced that a true legend was in the audience. When he asked Carl to stand and be recognized, I started looking down to the front row, and was shocked as the gentleman in front of me stood to a round of applause. Truly one of the nicest and friendliest people in the world.
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
84 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
Yikes! My sincere apologies for having been away from TMC for so long.
I am pleased to report that Carl Ballantine is alive and well and living in Hollywood. He has a comfortable home on the hill underneath where the famous "Hollywood" sign sits.
Sadly, Carl will NOT be at the Invisible Lodge Masonic Magicians Convention in Fort Smith, Arkansas in just a few days on August 13 and 14. I was just with him and he has an inner ear infection that's causing vertigo. NOTHING SERIOUS! Antibiotics will cure the infection and he'll be right as rain, but for the moment the trip to the convention is beyond him.
Paul Gross at Hocus-Pocus.com has invited Carl to be his guest at the MAGIC LIVE! convention in Las Vegas later this month, August 22 to 25 and we have high hopes that Carl will be able to attend.
Carl loves magic and magicians and show business, and as was stated previously, he has almost none of his thousands of tv and movie appearances on tape. In those days, they didn't have vcr or dvd machines. Now that they're so commonplace, I'm doing my best to collect everything I can on Carl to present to him. I'm looking for the best copies I can find to transfer to dvd where they hopefully won't degrade and get blurry as my twenty year old videotapes have done.
Anyone who has any good quality footage of Carl, please be so kind as to send it to Paul Gross c/o Hocus Pocus Magic
2311 E. McKinley Ave. Fresno, CA 93703-3006. Paul has the facilities there to tranfer everything to dvd, and will happily do so and get it to me to get to Carl
I've already made Carl a present of a dvd player and set it up for him so he can see some of the few clips I had available.
If anyone has episodes of McHale's Navy where he was featured that would be very much appreciated. Also his work on the tv show "Hollywood Palace" is stuff he would like to own. Carl will be very grateful to anyone who can help him out and I know he's been kind enough to send out a couple of his autographed 8x10 pictures to those who have contributed.
He really is a fine gentleman and I want to do all I can for him. I would be much obliged to anyone who can help.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I actually found the "Young (at Heart) Comedians Special" Video in a $1/per video discount bin - so it is around if you search - it features George Gobel, Jackie Vernon, Shelley Berman, Jackie Gayle, Norm Crosby, Henny Youngman, Ballantine and is hosted by David Brenner. It does show some of his act. It was made in 1984 and was released by Paramount.
I recall him also being on the Cosby Show playing an aging magician along with Vaudevillian Bill Irwin. I remember it was quite funny. Carl also had a short Cameo in Billy Crystal's movie, "Mr. Saturday Night". To see just a sample of his movie work and television work, punch in his name at http://www.imdb.com
On a personal note, when I was young, my grandfather would make our entire family roar with laughter by simply telling us about 'the best magician ever shown on Ed Sullivan' and would then describe Carls act. My Grampa was not a magician , but Carls act made a real impression on him. The last time I saw my Grandfather before he died, I was just starting magic and he told me to keep practising and maybe I would be as good as Carl Ballantine (I haven't gotten there yet!). Carls act was a spoof, but he had to be a brilliant magician and performer in order to poke fun at the art and get away with it - which he did.
"How Else?!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Carl Ballantine et. al. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL