The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Drinking and Gambling for the New Year (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have a game this evening, when drinking is expected by all. A couple tips for holding the edge.

One of the old time speakeasy hustles, was to jack up the players before taking them. This was usualy accomplished with homebrew beer that was made using a yeast that did not 'rest'. Or to be more descriptive one that didn't soak up the toxins as well when the yeast settled to the bottom. Although this wasn't truly harmful healthwise, on the short term it would bring on the effects of drinking a half dozen after drinking two, clouding judgement and blurring vision slightly. In the days of crooked houses it was a solid.

The second method was to buy bootleg from moonshiners that ran the liquor too long for the same purpose. It allowed nasties in that made the players drunker, much faster. It could be detected by both a burn in the mouth, as well as all the way down into the stomach. Isopentyl, isobutyl, and the pentenols were the culprits, causing the players do become drunk, very fast.

Although you would never hear of such a thing these days, the poorly made 'well drink' liquors are not much better.It is best to avoid any of the wiskeys, ryes,gins and rums in every case. Maximum dosage of the vitamin B groups help a little in that on the short term they help metabolize the toxins. The lesson here is if you are going to gamble and drink avoid beers of any sort, and any flavored spirit, while gaming. They all contain elements that will kill your edge.

Good advice comes from Ian Flemming's James Bond. Top shelf Vodka martini, shaken not stirred. Allow to warm from the cold state to taste any off flavors. If its off or tastes cheap don't drink it.

Best bet is never drink while gambling. Soda water and a slice of lemon is the winners drink.

The last big tip is when a drink gets spilled keep your eyes on the cards....

Happy New Year!
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Although I haven't had a drink in quite a few years, I do remember a few rules of thumb that helped my remain upright longer.
One was to avoid "red" liquor if I was going to be drinking in quantity.
Another rule was to be careful about changing drinks. I found that if I began with beer, it was generally not a big problem to switch to liquor, but changing from liquor to beer was always a big mistake.
Food was always important, both as a means of slowing the rate at which the alcohol was absorbed and metabolized, and also as a means of pacing the actual consumption.
King Stardog has obviously researched this topic more than I have, but I always found these rules to be helpful, when I followed them, and I always regretted it when (as I frequently did) I disregarded them.
Happy New Year!
Be careful out there!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
Twelve pints isnae enuff tae get ye pished so dinnae act it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Sometimes the best getaway car is a taxi! ;-)

I was gonna add if you wait till the drinks spilled to look at the cards, the cooler has already left the table....
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
I thought the rhyme was "Beer before Liquor, get sicker quicker. Liquor before beer, everything's clear."

I don't have a problem with the drinking at my regular game. Those guys suck down all sorts of stuff during the game and I, conveniently, am under orders from my Doctor to curtail my alcohol consumption.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Rawdawg, I can't comment, I never learned the rhyme, just sharing the way it worked for me in my drinking days. The truth is, I was probably never that good at it anyway, in spite of the amount of it I did!
Happy New Year.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Took 2g on a straight game and cut it off early. Had two shots of bourbon over 4 hours time. Nibbling everything in sight and plenty of water. Not a lot of drinking for new years but the edge stayed razor sharp so I have to point to that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Drinking and Gambling for the New Year (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL