The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When to expose magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I'm not sure if this is the forum to post this in, but:

My six year old is extremely interested in magic. She has seen me perform and likes to watch me practice. She is very perceptive, and can pick up simple moves and tricks. She nailed a friend of mine's double lift during a trick (really embarrassed him), and came to me two days after having seen me do the twisting arm illusion ("I figured out the arm twist, daddy").

As much as I'd like to teach her a few illusions, I don't want to ruin the wonder of magic for her. I taught her Johnny Thompson's "Sheep and Thieves," which she came up with her own patter for, but I don't really want to show her any "real" magic.
I'd really appreciate your thoughts on when the appropriate time to introduce her to the workings of magic might be.

She enjoys magic, and I don't want to discourage her from learning, but I would also like her to still have the wonderment of a six year old when something appears or vanishes.

Thank you for your input.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Gandolf,
I can see why you wouldn't want to let her "in" on too much magic! She seems ready to blow the rest of us away, as it is! <G>

Seriously, if she has that kind of interest and that kind of creativity (that she's coming up with her own routines) then she's ready right now.

Not being an expert on child-raising (and who is?), I would suggest that you strike while the iron is hot and be thankful that she has an interest in magic!

It's still possible to have the wonder, even though you may know how it's done. (Hey, I do and I'm 63!)

The real magic is in the performance, not the props, and that is what creates the wonder and that is ALWAYS going to be magical, no matter what the age.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
My Daughters used to love learning magic tricks and Emma has been a magician's assistant for a magic mate of mine at the Plymouth circles xmas party. She dressed up for it and played the part like a pro. She's even spent days out helping me at parties where she was helping me to reset and pack the show away.

I used to teach them both how to do lots of tricks. The important thing to drill into them is not to tell their friends how the tricks are done. Their interests change so fast. Your daughter's 6 now. In about another few years time she will loose interest in the magic, especially when she discovers music, clothes, make-up and boys. I know this because my girls are now 11 and 13 and see it as a real downer on their street cred. Whoa betide me if I even so much as attempt to show a trick to their friends. I got told off once for saying "hello" to them when I picked Becky up one day. "Dad there was no need to speak!"

Therefore, enjoy her magical interest while you can and hopefully you'll sow a seed then once she grows up and gets to the other side of her teens she'll come back to magic. That's what I'm hoping my girls will do anyway.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I think as a general rule it is a good idea to support your children's interests, even if the interests are only phases. You never know which phase will catch and become permanent. In later years, your children (or specifically, your daughter, in this case) will look back and recall fondly the opportunities you created for them and the encouragement you gave. Just be sure to enable rather than push. Let her interest and curiosity guide you.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
It's nice if your kids 'follow in your footsteps'. Mine have done the opposite. My eldest, now nearly 18, was given £1000 worth of piano lessons (I used to be a pro. player), but failed to continue. I don't resent having given the opportunity, but it hurts a bit when it doesn't work out. Neither my youngest, now 12, nor my eldest have ever shown any interest in magic and puppetry either. But my 18 year old decided to leave school -- he told me he didn't want to be a student -- and has a job so good, and so well paid, that we still can hardly believe it! He also was so clever and hard working at school we could hardly believe that either! I think the main thing we've learned through experience is not to press them too hard. But, if like our friend's six-year-old girl, they have a natural aptitude, then go for it!
Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Simply teach her to do a FEW things well.

Paul
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Thank you for your input. I'm still debating this issue. I'm leaning towards showing her a few easy illusions and see what she does with them. I will have to remember she is only six though...

Tried to teach her a very simple needle through the balloon (the one using tape, not the "real" needle through the balloon). She thought it was great until I popped the balloon at the end! She does not like loud sudden noises... OOOPS! Now she wants no part of that trick!!!
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I had the same problem with my son when he was 7 but as he was really interested. I started teaching him and at the age of 15 he was teaching me. Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When to expose magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL