The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Patter for the Dean's Box (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
Hi,

First of all, best wishes for 2008 to everyone.

Now the question. I'll looking for a 'creepy' patter to use the Dean's Box. Anybody a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I get paid $200 to write patter for original routines. What effects did you plan to use? Oh, a freebie? Never mind!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Check out Michael Close's 'Closely Guarded Secrets' CD-ROM.
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
I am not familiar with the effect. please clarify, and I'll be happy to give it some thought.
Beware of this and that.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Here is a video link of the effect and a basic presentation:
http://www.showtheatre.com/magic/file.php?id=58

Maybe have an object that has the "power" placed in the box to cause the linkings? An old stone or maybe use old ropes that were once owned by a cowboy that are haunted, etc? Instead of roped maybe leather straps? Start making a list and the ideas will come to you.

Jamie Salinas
Jamie Salinas
MPMagic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of MPMagic
The basic presentation I've used for some time involved two long strips of chiffon fabric (for those unfamiliar with the word, check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiffon_(fabric) and on Google for images...), those being part of the sleeping gowns of two lovers... In my case, one was white and the other was red and the fabric gave a sort of "ghostly" feeling to the story and was very curious to the audience.

Good luck!
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
314 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
Quote:
On 2008-01-02 00:34, Spellbinder wrote:
I get paid $200 to write patter for original routines. What effects did you plan to use? Oh, a freebie? Never mind!

that was constructive...
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
Yes, that statement combined with a sense of balance is precisely why I have decided to work on this. I have received enough ideas from the Café that I like the idea of making a contribution from time to time (regardless of what my work is worth). Well, I fear that I have said too much.

No Guarantees, but I'll see what I can do. Some ideas come slowly, others in a flash.
Beware of this and that.
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
Thanks guys,

I've got some ideas now I can work on. I was familiar with the original routine. I like the idea with the use of chiffon.

MPMagic: did you use the hole routine including the ring? Or just the first 2 phases.

That's what I want. I don't want to use the ring. But ... a nice routine is usual done in a 3 phase routine. So a nice ending would be nice.

Thanks for so far.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I decorated my box to look like the Lamentation Configuration puzzle box from the Hellraiser movies.

Instead of ropes, I use chains with hooks attached.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It would be a shame if the bizartists lost their sense of humor and turned into "Little Darlings." Or perhaps my sense of humor is lost on some. Maybe more would have "bit" if I had claimed to get $2,000 for a scripted routine. Oh, well. My "creepy" routine is embedded in "Sefalaljia Revisited" in The Wizards' Journal #10 which is available to one and all for considerably less than $200.

But for those who have lost their sense of humor, here's a freebie: use a black cord and a white cord which are drawn from spider webs (one black, one white). With the linking, the spiders come crawling up out of the box (IT... do I have to explain EVERYTHING?) and the female promptly devours the male, setting the world to right and restoring the natural order of things once again.

Note: This works both with Dean's Box and with the Sefalaljia Plastic Crate.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
I like the sound of those chains rattling.

tcb
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
MPMagic
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of MPMagic
Quote:
MPMagic: did you use the hole routine including the ring? Or just the first 2 phases.

I used the ring, but not the ring provided by Dean: rather, I used a bracelet as it made more sense with the story. The two chiffon silks were rolled around each other and used together in the third phase, it being about the two lovers being finally together forever, held by the bracelet.

Hope this helps, good luck,
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2008-01-02 16:46, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I decorated my box to look like the Lamentation Configuration puzzle box from the Hellraiser movies.

Instead of ropes, I use chains with hooks attached.

If I haven't said it before, Philemon, I like the way you think! Big time!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ok- here is my contribution.... not fully scripted but a theme I use often for effects of a similar nature is Quantum Mechanics...

That box is the box that held a Shroedinger's Cat.

What really goes on inside? No one knows until one looks... otherwise it is not "real"... go on to talk about Shroedie's Cat....

(In fact, you can paint a cat on the box)

Place a small cat figurine inside the box.... it is your Quantum Familiar....yes, link Quantum Mechanics with ancient sorcery (see Quatermass films for patter if you like)...

The strings... String Theory metaphors.

The Ring... a space/time anomoly.

You can teach about physics during the performance.

My price: let me know what happens if you use it! I actually never thought of using a Dean's Box... but now I think I'll get one and work up a Shroedinger Cat routine... and send it to ORACLE Smile

Oh, if you want to pay me $200, please donate it to a charity instead!

Happy New Year!

Dr S
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Gwyd's "Scent of Darkness" lives in mine.
When the little fellow comes out at the top of the bit, he rests on top of the Box.......inside the Box is a small decorated ball and a glass.........when Gwyd's little chap is removed from the top........Astro Ball.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Dr Spektor: Shrodinger's Cat is a great concept for this! I will donate $200 to my favorite charity at once! It would be great if a live cat (solid black fur, of course) could saunter out of the box at the end, but cats never saunter.
Professor Spellbinder

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Cats strut Smile - especially Quantum Powered Kool Kat "Shrodie"
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Philemon.....can you share a pic of your decorated Dean's Box?
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I would, but these guys won't let me...

Click here to view attached image.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Patter for the Dean's Box (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL