The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Where to find a good parrot design? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nix225
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nix225
Hi Guys,

I perform a trained parrot show and would like to give my young volunteers a balloon parrot as a thank you, but the majority of dvd's and books I see only offer the parrot on a swing instuctions. Is there, for lack of a better term, a higher quality design out there? While I haven't done any twisting before, I do have a variety of skills and since I'll only be producing this one figure, I don't mind if the learning curve takes a little longer. Can anyone recommend a source with a more realistic parrot?

Thanks,

Mark
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Hi Mark,

there's a book commonly available at Barnes and Noble bookstores which typically comes with a small pack of ( usually unusable) 260s and a small pump. The book is called "Brilliant Balloon Modeling" and is published by Top That publishing, its got instructions on a few basic twists and a good selection of models... one of which is a fairly nice penguin... learn that model, use different colors and let the tail go longer and hey presto you've got a workable and quick three balloon parrot. It's what I use when I'm working street fairs since I've found a quicker and cuter penguin model in the "Above and Beyond" DVD.

cheers

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I use red B-body balloon and a green 260.

Blow up 260 3/4 way up tie un-blown to nozzle end making a loop. Blow up B-body to the black tip,tie off.

Twist a third of the balloon from the black tip, attach knot end of 260 loop to it (that is the neck)

squeeze 1/3 of the air in the head into the black tip and twist off the air, use the remainder of black tip to tie off to the neck portion. This creates the bill of the bird.

run the 260 down the back of the rest of the b-body and twist together the b-body and the 260 about 1 inch from the bottom of the b-body. this will create the wings and a long tail.

Marker in eyes, white marker around the eyes makes it better looking.

The one inch bubble on the bottom can be twisted in to the shoulder of a T-shirt, so the kid has a parrot on the shoulder.

If your really lost e-mail me and I will send you a picture.

PS: Mark P is that you?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
nix225
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nix225
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

No Mark, I'm not Mark Preston (is that who you were referring to?), although we may have crossed paths if you ever did Sunsets at Pier 60. I was out there nearly everyday two years ago whenever we didn't have out of town gigs. Also did the Florida State Fair and Pasco Co Fair in 2006. Can't wait to get back to the Clearwater area.

Thanks again.
Mark Obarka
http://www.parrotpros.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Some of the best parrots I've seen have been by (seperately) Fabrizio Bolzoni and Patrick van de Ven. Fabrizio has a dvd (or 2?) out- Patrick shared some fantastic parrot designs over at http://www.mbd2.com forum (the subscribed section).

I've a free 1 balloon parrot over at my site (below) but I don't think I've added any fancy ones.

George
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 19:38, nix225 wrote:
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

No Mark, I'm not Mark Preston (is that who you were referring to?), although we may have crossed paths if you ever did Sunsets at Pier 60. I was out there nearly everyday two years ago whenever we didn't have out of town gigs. Also did the Florida State Fair and Pasco Co Fair in 2006. Can't wait to get back to the Clearwater area.

Thanks again.
Mark Obarka
http://www.parrotpros.com

Hey I hope the instructions helped. When your back at Pier 60 come on down to the Outback Steakhouse on Friday night I do balloons there between 6-9pm. I'll teach you the parrot in person.

Talked to Preston a few months ago, he is living in Texas now.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
281 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Saw this in a group photo posted by Caldwell; never seen instructions, but here's the reverse engineer I came up with.

Inflate a lime 260 less four inches. Twist off a 5/6" bubble and loop it; pass the knot through to secure. This will be the head.

Twist off a 3/4" bubble and loop it for first cheek. Repeat for second cheek.

Twist off two 4" bubbles and lock. Twist off third 4" bubble and use with first two for a bird body. This will be the bird's ....right. Remainder of loon will be tail.

Twist off a 4" bubble from a second loon, maybe spring lilac, tie off and drain rest of loon leaving a 1" tail. This will be the chest. Tie in spring lilac's nozzle at juncture of the first three loops and tail at juncture of body/tail.

Reverse inflate a yellow 260 about 1.5", tie off, and drain leaving small tail. This will be the beak and ties in at the head/cheek/body juncture.

Almost there: use an orange 260 for 4" bubble. Split it into two and tie the nozzle at the end of the second bubble preserving the rest of the loon. Twist these two bubbles into ear twists for the feet. Attach the feet at the body/tail juncture, and then use the remaining orange loon to make a loop for a wrist strap.

Last of all, use a white 5" round underinflated and split to make two eyes; push one ball through the original loop.

Five colors, bracelet, way less than three minutes at speed.

Tom
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2008-01-03 22:46, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
I use red B-body balloon and a green 260.
Blow up 260 3/4 way up tie un-blown to nozzle end making a loop. Blow up B-body to the black tip,tie off.
Twist a third of the balloon from the black tip, attach knot end of 260 loop to it (that is the neck)
squeeze 1/3 of the air in the head into the black tip and twist off the air, use the remainder of black tip to tie off to the neck portion. This creates the bill of the bird.
run the 260 down the back of the rest of the b-body and twist together the b-body and the 260 about 1 inch from the bottom of the b-body. this will create the wings and a long tail.
Marker in eyes, white marker around the eyes makes it better looking.
The one inch bubble on the bottom can be twisted in to the shoulder of a T-shirt, so the kid has a parrot on the shoulder.

Here is what those instructions did for me....

www.clubstylze.com/pics/pictures.html

Let me know if I got it right...

A definite improvement over the classic (the one right next to it).

I think this design is phenomenal.
Quick, easy, and looks great and more professional.
Grant it, I didn't use the right colors...

Thanks Bad to the Balloon...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Where to find a good parrot design? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL