The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time travel (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
There is a teen-age Superboy story where the villain "gets rid" of Superboy by sending Superboy into the future. The bizarre consequence of that is that at the same time, his Adult counterpart of Superman is flung back automatically into his teenage time period.

<snip>

There was another Superboy story where he decides he'll go back in time and stop Lincoln's assassination. He gets there and sees a note that "Mr. L" is in room xxx, he decides he'll visit Lincoln in his hotel room and warn him of the attempt. He walks in and it's not Lincoln, it's an adult Lex Luthor! Luthor hits him with a freeze ray which paralizes him, and spends the night gloating that Superboy can't arrest him. Then he hears the commotion out in the street and looks out the window to see them taking Lincoln's body into the hotel! He realizes that Superboy had shown up not to arrest him but to save Lincoln, and Lincoln's death was on his conceience (sp). We see Luthor, travelling back to his present, saying; "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." to himself. Then the ray wears off and Superbody comes back to the present, aware that SOMETHING will always stop him from changing history.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I came up with a patter idea for a coin vanish and reproduction. "When it disappears, it is because I sent it 5 seconds into the future." When it reappears, "5 4 3 2 1 (it reappears) We caught up to it again." I like it. Not about time travel...just another joke about money "Superman is afraid of crypto currency - he thinks it is made of Kryptonite". Have a nice day.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
They used that idea on The Orville recently with a sandwich Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Do any of these photographs prove time travel? What do you think?
https://youtu.be/1u0dyacusik
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2022, Orville Smith wrote:
Do any of these photographs prove time travel? What do you think?
https://youtu.be/1u0dyacusik
There are a couple of paths to explore in this discussion. The first path, where you can go home again, was pretty well covered by Bradbury's story "A Sound of Thunder" and taken to an extreme by Heinlein in "All You Zombies" where someone is both of their parents. Let's go with the second path as that's less pessimistic. Smile Portal fantasy is okay. Check out Sterling's "Mozart in Mirrorshades", Gibson's "The Peripheral", and Stross's Merchant Princes stories. Also his (Stross) story "Palimpsest".

If you want a comicbook version - try Gibson's "Archangel"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I always time travel.

Time travelling right now, to the future.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2022, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I always time travel.

Time travelling right now, to the future.

OK, I just went through the entire thread to see if I'd mentioned it... and I hadn't.

Spider Robinson had time travel show up multiple times in his "Callahan" series. But one of the oddest was a missionary who travelled 20 years into the future and was completely overwhelmed by Future Shock. The weird thing was, his "time machine" was a South American jail he'd been thrown into in the late 60's, and wasn't discovered and released until 20 years later. People wrote Analog complaining that this story didn't actually have any "science fiction" elements, since there was no mechanical time travelling!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

What did you folks think of The Peripheral?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
No, this news report about South Korea is not time travel but feels like it.

In June 2023, people in South Korea will suddenly become younger, the BBC reported. On December 8th, the South Korean Parliament voted to switch from two traditional methods of counting age to the more widely recognized international method for official documents. Currently, Koreans are one year old at birth and then gain another year on the first day of each following year. An alternate method has them at 0 upon birth, then adding a year each January 1st. So, for example, someone born on December 31st, 2002, is 19 years old using the international method. But under Korea's traditional methods, they might be 20 or 21 years old.
One member of Parliament said the change would reduce "unnecessary socio-economic costs, because legal and social disputes as well as confusion persist due to the different ways of calculating age."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The older I get the less interested I would be time travel. The logistics never quite seem to work out.

Now, if there were some fantasy version where there were no bad real world consequences then it would be fun to see the roaring 20s or tell myself to go for a scholarship instead of student loans.

If I could go back with power to change anything maybe preventing slavery in the US. The country still hasn't completely recovered from that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They did a couple of "time travel" stories in "Supernatural." In one, Sam and Dean go back to when their parents were hunters and see how the set up of the series started. Dean tries to change things, but can't.

Another has them finding people are being killed off in bizarre ways. The only thing the people have in common is that all of their ancestors arrived in the US on the same boat... the Titanic! It turns out a "trickster" character went back and arranged for the boat not to sink. (He claims it was because he was sick of the Celene Dion song. Dean says; "Who?" and the trickster says; "Exactly. She's a Canadian lounge singer right now, and let's keep it that way." It turns out there were other ramifications to letting the Titanic survive. One is a massive spoiler, so I won't mention it, the other is that Sam and Dean no longer tool around in a 1967 Impala, but in a Mustang instead! (That kind of hurt. "Baby," Dean's car, is practically a character on its own!)

They have another where a mysterious gun, the Colt, was created in the 1800's, and Sam and Dean have to go back to get it, and Phoenix ashes. Dean, a MASSIVE fan of the Old West (or, the "movie/TV" Old West, anyway) is massively disappointed by the reality.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Neuroscience article showing that children and adults experience time differently.
https://neurosciencenews.com/time-perception-age-22432/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 8, 2023, critter wrote:
If I could go back with power to change anything maybe preventing slavery in the US. The country still hasn't completely recovered from that.

That's not going to be so easy. The societies in West Africa might make that a challenge. Also Dutch businesses at the time. All way before the American revolution.
https://www.ascleiden.nl/content/webdoss......bolition
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well yeah that's why I say if I had the power to change anything. Like fantasy level. This is a fantasy world where there wouldn't be negative consequences of time travel. With my current knowledge and ability I wouldn't even know where to start, it's just a nice idea.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
We time travelled here.

It's 21 years later since the first post.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2023, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2023, critter wrote:

That's not going to be so easy. The societies in West Africa might make that a challenge. Also Dutch businesses at the time. All way before the American revolution.
https://www.ascleiden.nl/content/webdoss......bolition

He didn't say he was going to stop slavery globally. He just said he would try and stop it from getting set up in the US. (Or, the British colonies that will BE the US.)
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If I could go back in time...

I wouldn't tell you guys what I did. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, went through the thread AGAIN to see if THIS had been mentioned... and it hadn't;

SPOILERS - If YOU haven't seen the movie, "Avengers - Endgame," don't read this.

I've just seen "Avengers - Endgame." A big deal is made of the fact that they can't go back and stop Thanos from doing the snap, because that will only create an alternate universe. So they have to get the Infinity Stones from periods in the past, (Thanos destroys the current stones) rebuild the gauntlet and "snap" everone back. (Presumably taking into account the position of the Earth five years ago, AND people who'd been on trasports like planes or ships, or even cars. (You wouldn't want to "blink" back on a busy super highway, now would you.) A plot point is that, in the past, Thanos finds out about their scheme and travels to the future to RE-snap the universe. Huge battle, Thanos ends up fighting people whose lives he ruined (hi, Wanda) who he has no idea who they are. At the end, (this spoiler should be well known by now) the snap is interrupted by Tony, who manages to steal the stones off of Thanos' gaunlet and put them on one HE'S constructed for himself. He snaps, and Thanos and his entire army are reduced to dust.

Wait!

Thanos hadn't done the first snap yet! So, are we saying the first snap never happened? I'm confused.

Also, a paradox. One of the characters runs into her early self and kills her. But SHE herself doesn't cease to exist!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Time travel (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL