The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up drawing duplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Warlock1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Warlock1
Not bad

wl1
kingjay
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of kingjay
These guys are right... banachek, osterlind, kuffs... all have simple style dd
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
Vincent's DD is worth checking out. Really got me thinking. Nicely put together and at a good price.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I have to say that I like several mentioned above. I learned of them in this order:

Loochs' DD-
Very straightforward, no added hastle!

Thom Bleasdale's "Tommy Pad"-
very cool method with some very natural items. Extremely nice.

Vincent's PBB DD-
(you down with OPP!--sorry couldn't help it, it's my humor tourettes)
Seriously an interesting idea for a new method in DD. Very clever

All worthy ideas, check them all out!

Sean
jasons_mind
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of jasons_mind
One thing to add regarding Vincent's DD. This is essentially Osterlind's drawing dupe from No Camera Tricks. Please give the appropriate credit and support the gentleman that put this to the market first - that person being Richard Osterlind.

Jason.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1856 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Stack of business cards and a double lift suits me fine when in a pinch..otherwise..a peek wallet..or my own Pass and Peek...
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
Bob Cassidy has one in his Art of Mentalism book 2. Its not exclusively a concept for a drawing duplication, but it is a clever way to accomplish one.

Alel
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2186 Posts

Profile of dmoses
With no disrepect intended (i use kuff's and banachek's impromptu DDs all the time), I'm surprised no one has suggested a simple Billet S*****.

It's anywhere, anytime.

If you're interested check out Elliott Besler's work.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2071 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2008-05-21 12:54, dmoses wrote:
With no disrepect intended (i use kuff's and banachek's impromptu DDs all the time)...

Agreed on both. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, a stack of business cards is really all you need to do readings, design dupes, thought reading... etc. The possibilities are endless. That being said, I don't think Design Dupes get any stronger than ODDS. There's VERY solid justification for the choice of words, which Richard discusses in the instructions. It couldn't look more fair, (particularly when you hand the cards over before beginning the effect). I've done this one on one, and I've done it for hundreds. It never ceases to amaze. The words Richard has specifically chosen for this effect are brilliant, as you will find many similarities to the spec's drawing after the trick is done, that you couldn't POSSIBLY have known (and you didn't!)
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
177 Posts

Profile of The Game
I never understand the ODDS hype.
Why to use cards to duplicate a drawing? It is not natural, it looks like a card trick, and the spectator does not have an unlimited choice. And you have to carry these weird cards that nobody knows of.
Peek wallets are also not needed.

Just use billet techniques. It's the best and closest thing to being real.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2071 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 04:16, Poison wrote:
I never understand the ODDS hype.
Why to use cards to duplicate a drawing? It is not natural, it looks like a card trick, and the spectator does not have an unlimited choice. And you have to carry these weird cards that nobody knows of.
Peek wallets are also not needed.

Just use billet techniques. It's the best and closest thing to being real.

I agree, nothing is stronger than a non-restrictive drawing dupe. And yes, just use billet techniques.
ODDS is a different animal, altogether. First, dispense with the "weird cards" and hand-write the words on something more natural; glossy business cards, etc.
What makes ODDS stand apart, is that Richard has brilliantly selected (images) that you will notice, (if you perform this effect often enough), people will usually draw in the same manner. This cannot be understated. After a spec selects a word from a mixed stack, I immediately hand the deck to them, or someone else. It could not look more fair. I go to the opposite side of the room, and let's say, for example, they draw a parachute. Their parachute has three strings, my parachute has three. The person hanging from their parachute is a stick figure with its feet pointing left, so is mine. No electronics, no switches, no way I could have seen what they drew, as they did it ACROSS the room and never gave me a piece of paper BACK till the effect was over. The more I perform this routine, the more amazed I am at how on target my drawings are- not for any special talent on my part- but just from continued observation of the populace's behavioral (and artistic) patterns.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Marvelous Mucking peek - Riggs.
Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
177 Posts

Profile of The Game
Where can this peek be found mescalito?
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Gods with feet of clay - john riggs volume 3

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
456 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 04:27, gabelson wrote:

What makes ODDS stand apart, is that Richard has brilliantly selected (images) that you will notice, (if you perform this effect often enough), people will usually draw in the same manner. This cannot be understated.

This is what makes the Osterlind system stand out for the performer who has the vision to see past the cards.

I, for one, appreciate your efforts at attempting to crystalize this for some who have posted on this thread but the discussion put me in mind of an old Steve Allen story. When he was host of The Tonight Show, he was asked by someone if people got his show in Boston. He immediately quipped: "They see it...but they don't get it."
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Like Mescalito says:

from Vol3 - "some of you will hate me... some of you will love..." Smile

That's GREAT!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of NeilS
For a great impression device and which can be used impromptu, my vote goes to The Tommy Pad. (Only the other day I got a booking having just used it to, dare I say, 'impress!')
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2071 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I vote for using combinations. Kuffs' Bold Business, Banachek's from "PSI", imp pad, p**k wallet... Keep 'em guessing.

G
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Has anybody tried p***** drawing?
fib
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The Impressionable Mind Board is really for stage. I wish a second one was made for close-up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up drawing duplication (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL