The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up drawing duplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18486 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Is now a good time to talk about a little something, well two little somethings you can learn from mr. john riggs?

vol2 and vol5 have things on there that'll look "naked" hands free and all that jazz..they're my two faves at the moment...

must build that shrine to him soon...
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1159 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Using this device (sp) for getting what you need for a book test or picture duplication was first mentioned by Basil Horwitz's on the Martin Breese tapes and I think in his books back in the late 70's or early 80's .

However, having said that I am sure Richard has come up with a brilliant routine for this. I have not seen his no camera DVD's so can't comment.

For those who think this method is transparent. Really??? In the past I have performed impromptu effects where I hold a written word or card behind my back and reveal it with resultes being a great reaction. Heck, just try the old crayon trick behind the back for someone who does not know it and it kills. Silly yes, but the right person doing it kills with it.

My point is that they only associate it with what it is if you let them or act guilty. Heck, that is like saying that magic slates have been around forever or carbon paper or mirrors or reflections in TV's and on and on. Just because the use is known does not make them irrelevant, it is how you use them.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2071 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I wasn't referring to Vincent, either. Vincent's work speaks for itself, as does Richard's. And as Abraxus said, take a look at Riggs' work.

And by the way, in my experience, SP is far more reliable than HS. And more practical.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1159 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Dave,

since this is a public forum I can't post on methods, however, are you looking for bare-bones cheap or willing to spend some money? What are the limitations? Is it to be large, is it to be small?

Keep in mind that any large prediction method can also be thought of as a picture duplication. Many book tests can result in a picture duplication. Phone book tests with yellow pages can result in duplicating a picture.

On my (and not trying to promote. See how this works?) DVDs I have a large picture dup that is performed in your Q&A enabling you to perform the Q&A.

Hope this sort of makes up a little for the previous posts. I also apologize for all my typos in the previous post. Thought I caught them all. I am dyslexic and some days for some reason it is worse than others.

Oh, also, if looking exclusively for close up as was original question, you can't beat Max Maven's 'Desire' from his color series, now Prism for a great routine that could lead up to a picture duplication. In other words substitute pictures for the written information.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
Syd Bergson was a genius, but I only know him from your works, Richard. Did the man have books of his own?
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Rosemary,

He mainly put out single effects along with the props. Yes, he was a genius!

Richard
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3321 Posts

Profile of Looch
Some great thoughts from two of the best. I wonder how many people actually digest whats been said here.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you guys for standing up keeping us informed with the truth. If it isn't true, I don't won't to hear it. We need more VIPs like you in this world.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Am surprised that no one followed up on Jason's revelation that Vincent's effect is a duplicate (Pun intended!) of Osterlind's "Incredible Mind Reading." Tsk. (Yes, Banachek, you'd thoroughly enjoy *No Camera Tricks* and you should bully Louis into sending you a set.)

One problem I have with a number of Drawing Duplication effects, is that the actor seems to put the emphasis on copying the drawing. It should never look like the drawing is being copied. It should, instead, be "He read my mind and knew what I was drawing." It's a subtle but, I think, significant difference and makes a huge difference in whether the audience thinks of it as "a trick" or an invasion of their mind.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6167 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I'll second Syd as a genius. I belonged to the magic ring in Miami named after him. I was a young kid and he was still around. Every month at the meetings he presented something and always amazed us.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I used to DgD[duplicate guests drawings]...now I DgD[describe guests drawings].This approach 'for me' is stronger.

Rich
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2343 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 18:50, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Am surprised that no one followed up on Jason's revelation that Vincent's effect is a duplicate (Pun intended!) of Osterlind's "Incredible Mind Reading." Tsk.

In regard to the item Osterlind uses and Vincent's DD approach, they are different and Vincent's happens to be better in my opinion.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

As I was saying earlier, I feel that the method I demonstrated on the Bonus Disc of No Camera Tricks, which I explained was from a Syd Bergson effect from many years ago and which I also published variations of in Bascom Jones' Magik (also many years ago) is the most expedient and trouble-free method. It only requires palming a coin-sized, flesh-colored gimmick ... BEHIND YOUR BACK. For this slight bit of magical expertise necessary for you to master, you can do the effect anywhere at any time, without any pre-set or any clean-up afterwards. It is instantly resettable and requires no time constraints when working. It also is much more reliable in actual performance giving a perfect impression of the design.

This method was given on my FREE BONUS DISC and was the first time in many years that the principle was used or thought about in mentalism. I have endorsed no other methods.

Richard
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6167 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
And when I saw that on the Bonus Disc it brought back memories. Syd demonstrated it at one of the meetings. If I'm not mistaken he had the substance in a small mirror box so that he could read the reversed letters.
He was a brilliant guy.

Greg
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-31 20:57, Greg Arce wrote:
And when I saw that on the Bonus Disc it brought back memories. Syd demonstrated it at one of the meetings. If I'm not mistaken he had the substance in a small mirror box so that he could read the reversed letters.
He was a brilliant guy.

Greg

Greg,

And he was a pretty remarkable looking man!

Richard
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6167 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Talk about someone looking like a mentalist... he was the guy.

Greg
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
177 Posts

Profile of The Game
Why do you people insist to use gimmicks to do DD?

Just use billet techniques. Billet switching all the way. No gimmicks to carry.

Just your business cards.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
There are many techniques mentioned here and they all have merit, Banacheks drawing dupe / Q&A is in my humble opinion the best method for Q&A I have seen, total distance from the questions written which in my mind is essential. I can't justify handling questions even if I am blindfolded, it just jars with me.

They exist for clarification only and may not be required. Back in the day the mentalist handled them in a theatrical manner, to me todays audiences are more savvy thus I need to be three steps a head and Banacheks routine gives me five steps..

ODDS is also great, it needs framing but that should be the case with any routine. Also the bonus piece on No Camera Tricks is super sneaky.

Wallets are fine in the right context, to me it would be odd using a blank piece of card or paper to do a billet peak / switch in a close up environment. A business card is normal, everyday and inconspicuous.
A blank piece of card isn't. What is it, why do you fold it, why do you handle it?

But then being devils advocate with my own statement I can see how this feels more simplistic and minimal which is a strength in itself. Bob Cassidy kills with billets as does Nyman, as did Anneman.

It's personal choice and preference, the most important thing is to remember you can have a gimp on stage with the latest electronic masterpiece for drawing duplications and a 'real' mentalist on stage using nothing more than a regular pad, balls of steel and theatrical ability and personality and you all know who is going to create impact, emotion, suspension of disbelief.

Method is 10%, you are everything!

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Kudos
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

There are all kinds of techniques and gimmicks in mentalism to accomplish all kinds of effects. It is the wise performer who knows many and carefully chooses the most appropriate for the right situation.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Close up drawing duplication (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL