The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » R. Paul Wilson's Extreme Possibilities 4 DVD's (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Mad Hatter deal on this set makes it affordable to everyone.

Paul is one of the premier sleight of hand arits in the world and is tipping so much.

He has performance only of two marketted effects I use ( Ricochet – Paul’s famous version of the Reset plot and Spectrum – Paul’s powerful color-changing deck routine.

When you see Ricochet, you'll want it ( and it's easy ). You might as well order it with the set:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com/magics......_id=2740

I think it will be a fun set.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I wonder if all this material would have fit onto 3 DVD's rather than 4 if they had left out all the "performance only" items.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If I buy a single DVD and it has performance only, I get annoyed. But 4 DVD's, for about $80, I don't mind. And...they are marketted effects. So, if you like the performance, you can buy the trick ( which requires gaffs ). I think you have to take it on a case by case basis.

Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
The performance-only pieces really don't bother me. I think I learn more from watching other people's performances than by listening to them teach tricks. I can see what I like and don't like about their style and learn from it (notice I did not say steal it for my own, that isn't even close to what I mean). I once went to a weekend workshop with some well know magic folks. There were things that I wanted to learn and I asked about them. They were things that were personal pieces from the performer. He told me that, and that they weren't for other people to learn. I don't see that as a problem. Nonetheless, he performed them so we could look at his performance style, his approach to creating effects, and the way he thought about his magic. It was an incredibly informative, and valuable, performance-only kind of moment.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
As I stated many times in the past, performance only pieces are a complete waste of space and money. Sure there is a lot that can be learned from performance only acts, however if I want that I will just watch all the effects on the DVD and skip the secrets, then the entire DVD becomes "performance only." The secrets will still be there later if I want to view them, so I am getting a far better deal. Whether they admit or not, magicians buy DVDs for material/tricks, not performance pieces solely. Otherwise we would see A LOT more of them as opposed to effects that are actually taught.

Especially beginners and the younger crowd, who have absolutely no interest in performance only DVDs, as they are looking to develop a repertoire of workable effects. Performance, theory, and presentation come later. For the DVDs that you can go and "rebuy" the secrets to the performance only effects, to me this is only a marketing ploy to make more money off of something you should already own. I wouldn't be surprised if the other DVD also contained another performance only, in which you could then go buy another performance only DVD...and on and on...6 performance only acts on one set is ridiculous.

If you don't want to divulge the secrets, leave it off the DVD. Put other material on there that you can teach, or as stated by someone previously, leave it off and make less DVDs and sell for less money to save on production costs. About the only thing these performance only segments do is make the other material seem like "filler" in an attempt to re-market material that should have been included in the first place.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 21:24, sirbrad wrote:
As I stated many times in the past, performance only pieces are a complete waste of space and money. Sure there is a lot that can be learned from performance only acts, however if I want that I will just watch all the effects on the DVD and skip the secrets, then the entire DVD becomes "performance only." The secrets will still be there later if I want to view them, so I am getting a far better deal. Whether they admit or not, magicians buy DVDs for material/tricks, not performance pieces solely. Otherwise we would see A LOT more of them as opposed to effects that are actually taught.

Well, yes. . . that's a good point. Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. I have to say, though, not being a big dvd/video fan, one my favorite videos is Denny Haney's performance video.
What would Wavy do?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I had not really thought about it either until now, but your post helped provoke the thought. Sometimes the facts are hidden right in front of your nose, you just have to look down at them. With my above statement you can see why it makes no sense to include performance only effects, as they all can be that if you simply skip the teaching. To me these pieces are just a slap in my face, by exclaiming they are "too good for me" to learn. If that is the case don't bother showing me them. And since this is the case with this set, my money is "too good" to spend on this set. So I will pass.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
My favorite Videos happen to be the Legendary Repertoire of Mike Skinner's (performance only) videos. I do agree with you Sirbrad, that the majority of the people in magic purchase DVDs to learn the secrets. Then you have weirdos like myself who would rather watch a good performance only effect or video as long as the magic is powerful and the magician is great.

I don't mind a performance only piece or two on a video (excuse me, DVD).
ME
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I prefer seeing a good performance with an audience over some moves taught in an empty studio. And I'm not talking about L&L's stage audience, I'm talking real people. Gazzo Uncensored is a good example. I can learn more from how he handles himself and the people around him. Teaching the tricks are secondary.

Oh, and Mark, no "excuse me" necessary. It's still video. DVD is just the storage and delivery medium.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Performance-only material by the right magician can be worth whatever the magician wants to charge for it. Once you reach a certain knowledge saturation point, you learn a lot more from bootlegs of Kaps, Ricky Jay, Cardini, and the World's Greatest Magic series than you do most educational sets. Also, Haydn, Anton and Gazzo have done the magic world an immense service by allowing some of their stuff viewable for free on Youtube and Google. Once you realize what Tommy Wonder's Mind Movie theory is all about, you get an even deeper understanding and appreciation for the performances on his Visions of Wonder set (assuming you never got to see him live).

Is R. Paul Wilson one of those magicians? Don't really know.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
R. Paul Wilson has some skills, but I think he should pick up Eugene's new DVD so he can learn how to present magic without inducing yawns.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1106 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Sirbrad says "R. Paul Wilson has some skills..."

Even though 2008 has just begun, can I nominate this right now for the understatement of the year award??

Paul's among the world's very best sleight of hand artists. Furthermore, anyone who's seen his show at the Castle can tell you that he knows how to present magic without "inducing yawns." Teaching routines on a video and performing one's professional repetoire for a lay audience aren't always the same creature.

As for the performance only segments: Keep em' coming!

With all due respect, I find it sort of funny how some "professional" magicians act nowadays. I recall a time when spending a nice size chunk of one's resources (time, money, and energy) on learning even a single routine that could become part of one's professional repetoire was seen as a rite of passage. Now we feel slighted when there's less than ten tricks on a thirty dollar DVD. Good Grief!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
"Teaching routines on a video and performing one's professional repertoire for a lay audience aren't always the same creature."

Tell that to the author, as he seemed to judge Ben Salinas based on seeing one demo. Paul may be one of the world's best sleight of hand artists, but that does not mean he has great presentation skills. Also my comments were directed to his "performances" not his teaching, and I have seen quite a bit of his work. I find his performance to be quite boring, and uninteresting to say the least. It just seems like he is going through the motions, and I get sick of hearing his low monotone voice with no real heart or emotion behind it.

Perhaps his style just isn't me, and opinions vary...But like I said performance only DVDs can be every DVD you buy so as long as you do not view the secrets. Duh. I have seen magicians who have very little "technical skill" entertain thousands with the presentation and showmanship, and highly skilled prestidigitators put the whole room to sleep with their finger-flicking skills, and no presentation of storyline to speak of. Even if Eugene Burger was not as skilled as R. Paul Wilson, I would buy a ticket to Eugene's show easily before R. Paul's. There is a lot more to the presentation of great magic than just physical skill.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I've only watched Vol. 1, so I can't really give a review yet. But, I do believe there's a good reason why some of the tricks are performance only. For example, if you wish to perform the Spectrum Deck or Predator, I think you need to buy the props anyway. Devulging the secret to these effects would be pointless.

Personally, I don't mind purchasing "performance only" effects. I'm wondering if anyone knows if "ConCam Monte" aka the classic "Dutch Looper" can be purchased anywhere?

Robert
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Regarding the performance only segments, they are very relevant for Paul Wilson fans. Those who bought the Predator Wallet will probably buy this set as well. Maybe those who are curious about it would like to see it in action before spending the money on it. Just because it doesn't fit into your limited view of what a magic DVD is or can be, doesn't mean others aren't going to enjoy it.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1106 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2008-01-14 11:40, Robert M wrote:

Personally, I don't mind purchasing "performance only" effects. I'm wondering if anyone knows if "ConCam Monte" aka the classic "Dutch Looper" can be purchased anywhere?

Robert

I recall Paul saying that he was going to release his "ConCam Monte" in the future.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1147 Posts

Profile of Salby
Is there a different version of His "3 FLY" routine on 1 of these DVD's??... By the description of 2 effects... It may be.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2008-01-14 21:04, MJ Marrs wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-14 11:40, Robert M wrote:

Robert

I recall Paul saying that he was going to release his "ConCam Monte" in the future.

Thanks, MJ. Man, after seeing Paul's performance, I'm sorry I sold you my Predator wallet! ;-)

Robert
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I started watching these today ( thanks Mad Hatter for shipping so fast ).
I'm a BIG Paul Wilson fan. That's not a guarantee I'll like everything he puts out ( I'm a BIG Jay Sankey fan and you can see when I haven't like many of Jay's releases ).

That being said...I really like Paul's new DVD set so far. He has put so much thought into the effects and it shows. I watch DVD sets like I read magazines-I start in the middle, go backwards, forwards, jump around-so I have no order in what I'm watching or reporting on.

I was glad to see him give performances of the market ted effects SPECTRUM and RICOCHET. The only way I've seen them done is from my view and now I got to see what the audience sees with these two killer tricks. Visual, beautiful magic.

I watched a couple of the coin tricks and didn't care for them. Some of the vanishes looked a bit un-natural ( like vanishing coins is a natural act;-) They used halves and I think some coin tricks play much better using Dollar size coins as halves are too small ( for 3 fly type of routines ).

Then I watched "The Mystery Of The Little Piece Of Cork". It's Paul's take on the Ramsey classic. There are some versions that have props costing several hundred dollars ( even over $1000 ). Paul teaches how to make this yourself, so the cost is the coins and some simple props ( sharpie, cork, a cylinder and dollar size coins).

Paul has made this a Table Hoppers dream. It's a short routine, with wonderful coin appearances and vanishes. The camera goes close for the routine and the gal on Paul's left ( she's a great audience member that has been in a few Of L&L's shoots-she's smart, funny and has different reactions, depending on the strength of the routine. She is SHOCKED at the vanishes ).

This routine will get gasps. Paul did a fantastic job on this routine. It's a Master Class on coin work and misdirection. Iw ould have paid the price of the entire set for Paul to teach me this one trick. So..I got my money's worth and have only watched a small part of the set.

Paul got rid of the suit he usually wears for this shoot. He is much loser is his performing style. And..he has an excellent audience. They participate and play off Paul and each other and it makes for a fun atmosphere.

GREAT filming also.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm watching volume #3. I went to the performance only routine or Paul's "Predator" wallet. He pulled out a brown wallet. I was caught up in the great Predator brown vs. back wallet a few years back so I knew Paul used a brown wallet to yank my chain ( meanwhile, he doesn't even know who I am;-)

Anyway..I can see why this expensive wallet was a huge hit. The routine is deadly. I "think" it's the Psyco Killer routine. Amazing!!!!

And I watched Popper Bound-Paul's pet coin routine. It's a combination of two of Paul's routines that has been on video before. I didn't care for the handlings back then, but this new version had my mouth open in awe. FANTASTIC improvements and one of the most amazing coin routines I've ever seen. Paul gives a detailed explanation and I think many folks are going to add this to their coin work. It would be great table hopping because you could stop the routine at anytime. This is incredible!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » R. Paul Wilson's Extreme Possibilities 4 DVD's (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL