The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » R. Paul Wilson's Extreme Possibilities 4 DVD's (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Sometimes, because Paul is so skilled with cards, it's easy to forget that he's a very smooth coin worker. I, too, thought that Popper Bound was great and began to practice it right away.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 08:52, NicholasD wrote:
Sometimes, because Paul is so skilled with cards, it's easy to forget that he's a very smooth coin worker. I, too, thought that Popper Bound was great and began to practice it right away.

It's amazing how Paul's coin work has evolved since the earlier A-1 videos.

Popper Bound is a spellbound type routine ( combing his Spellbound To Please and The Coin Popper ) with a silver dollar changing into a copper coin ( which is slightly smaller than the silver coin and you'll see why ) and they change back and forth. Pure eye candy!

The routine flows so beautifully you'd swear he was using gaffs ( he isn't ). I keep watching it over again because it's one of the best coin routines I've ever seen.

It ends with his beautiful move from his "Spellbound to please" routine. In the performance the camera didn't catch the transpo. But it' shown in the teaching section. Paul credits Pat Page showing him the move. It's another gasp getter for sure.

Speaking of teaching, this is one of the most detailed teaching DVD's I've ever seen. Paul goes into minute detail showing all the nuances of what he does. It will make a difference in learning and performing.

The set is a winner. One of L&L's best. The raised the bar for themselves, so I hope they go slow in producing new ones ( I realize they get released sometimes 1 or more years after they've been shot ).

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 12:40am
I'be been watching this set the last couple of days and it gets better and better. Paul was a table hopper for many, many years and I think that's why I'm relating to the power of so many of these effects. I love magic that gets gasps and this DVD set is loaded with them.

There is an effect that in the explanation part he says he did wrong ( screwed up ) in performance and got out of it to make it work. He convinved Louis Falanga to keep it in and gave a lesson on what to do when thing don't go your way. This took guts and showed his great character. I didn't notice he messed up-maybe because the ending was a miracle and the audience reacted as such. I won't mention what trick it was. Paul plays it so cool, I doubt anyone will catch it.

Paul's ring on stick with the Jardine Ellis ring has INCREDIBLE moves. I pulled mine out of the drawer and it will now be in the show. When you see Paul's routine, you'll know why.

Ricochet was performance only-so it seemed. He gave some tips, for those that have it and WOW-I can't believe how strong this will be. I can't wait to try it out.

The classic eight card brainwave ( 8 Card BW + 2 ) gets a facelift by adding two extra cards. Paul then shows, at chest level, the backs of three cards ( instead of the usual two done on a table ).The Olram subtley looks extra convincing this way. And...Paul shows how to riffle the backs so they all look the same color for yet another convincer. Just brilliant additions to an already classic effect ( By Nick Trost ).

I'm spending allot of time talking about this set because I think it's one of the best since magic started being released on video!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
How did the coins through table look. I have the manuscript and have trouble picturing how the routine should look.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 02:47, Leeman wrote:
How did the coins through table look. I have the manuscript and have trouble picturing how the routine should look.

Well, it uses 3 silver dollars ( I like the theory of 3 and so this was of interest to me ).

It is extremely clever and looks incredible. It will take some work for me to get the coreography down. I was thinking it wouldn't work for restaurant work and then Paul gave a solution for that.

NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I liked that neat little 3 coins at one time through the table that's done as an afterthought at the end of "3 Through"
learachel
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of learachel
Quote:
On 2008-01-17 00:40, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I'be been watching this set the last couple of days and it gets better and better. Paul was a table hopper for many, many years and I think that's why I'm relating to the power of so many of these effects. I love magic that gets gasps and this DVD set is loaded with them.

There is an effect that in the explanation part he says he did wrong ( screwed up ) in performance and got out of it to make it work. He convinved Louis Falanga to keep it in and gave a lesson on what to do when thing don't go your way. This took guts and showed his great character. I didn't notice he messed up-maybe because the ending was a miracle and the audience reacted as such. I won't mention what trick it was. Paul plays it so cool, I doubt anyone will catch it.

Paul's ring on stick with the Jardine Ellis ring has INCREDIBLE moves. I pulled mine out of the drawer and it will now be in the show. When you see Paul's routine, you'll know why.

Ricochet was performance only-so it seemed. He gave some tips, for those that have it and WOW-I can't beleive how strong this will be. I can't wait to try it out.

The classic eight card brainwave ( 8 Card BW + 2 ) gets a facelift by adding two extra cards. Paul then shows, at chest level, the backs of three cards ( instead of the usual two done on a table ).The Olram subtley looks extra convincing this way. And...Paul shows how to riffle the backs so they all look the same color for yet another convincer. Just birlliant additions to an already classic effect ( By Nick Trost ).

I'm spending allot of time talking about this set because I think it's one of the best since magic started being released on video!

Could you tell me more about the Confabulous effect?

Thank

Simon
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes,I'd be interested to hear more of this, obviously from the title a homage to Confabulation.

Paul.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Confabulous is Paul's version of Confabulation. It's a prediction effect. Essentialy, you have a note pad ( wich you show to be blank ) and an envelope ( sealed and hanging on a string whcih is attached to the pad.

They answer some questions ( maiden name, arandom number, etc. ) and you write it on the pad. After showing them what you wrote, you cut open the envelope and remove your business card and written on it are all the answers they gave you.

Because the envelope is sealed and dangling from the pad there is no "apparent" way you could have written these answers on the business card. It got gasps when Paul revealed it.

I really like it ( have not tried it yet ).

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Hmmm, the pad and envelope 'in view' sounds a little like Grimmond's Triple Forecast. Repro 71 used to sell that in England. This 'type' of effect always gets strong grasps.

Paul.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I bought volumes 3 & 4 this weekend. Very powerful magic from the big fella from Scotland. I also noticed Paul has a bit of an American twang when he speaks!

Chris Kavanagh, he looks like your brother!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-27 11:58, Andi Peters wrote:
I bought volumes 3 & 4 this weekend. Very powerful magic from the big fella from Scotland.

Chris Kavanagh, he looks like your brother!

He's Scottish, I'm Irish. So perhaps distant cousins?

I'm sorry I didn't get his talent!

rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Pauls effect called written wrongs on volume 4 is an OUTSTANDING approach to the signed card in envelope which is in full view the whole time.

I cant praise this piece any higher.

Best

John Carey
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I just watched the first volume. The tricks are good to great, the explanation is clear and to the point. In short, I am happy with it.

I do however agree with some of the posters above regarding his presentation style.

Plese do not take that wrong - Not everyone can and should be Bill Malone and you do not need to crackle jokes like a machinegun to engage the audience. But you need to sell the trick. If I may use the definition of Eugene Burger . . . Paul is doing stunts, not magic.

The magician in me finds his tricks are highly attractive. And as the tape is made for magicians, it serves its purpose. But in terms of audience management and presentation, I did not get a lot of take aways . . .

Again, this is my personal judgement and strongly biased by my own presentation style.

Andy
Cards never lie
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I agree with Rubadubdub on "Written Wrongs" from vol. 3 - it's a great effect and an absolute crowdpleaser. In general, I was pleased with the entire set. And although I wouldn't rate the set a "10" , I think there's something for everybody here. As for Paul's presentational style, sure he's no Bill Malone, but he's certainly a capable performer and a good teacher. And besides, as long as the methods themselves are good, you have something that you can tailor your own presentational style to. And Paul's methods are second to none.
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul clearly states that he isn't funny. He's a quiet, reserved guy from Scottland. But...I like his dry sense of humor. I find him funny ( and so does the audience ).

I'm at a point where I'm not learning 300 new coin and card tricks a year. What I am doing is taking what I'm doing and updating/improving each effect from things I'm learning from new releases.

For instance, I love Nick Trosts 8 card brainwave. It's a classic. Paul took this and brought the displays up to chest level and the Olram Subtlety now shows 3 cards instead of two. And, you can riffle the cards and the backs show all one color. They're big improvements and have elevated the tricks power. And...you can do it walk around.

Paul is one of the world's top sleight of hand artists. His teaching is so in depth on this set, it's like he's in the room teaching you. What's that worth? Many times more than I paid for the set, that's for sure.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:52pm
Man, he smoked me on "Tantalizer Too" from volume #2. I kept trying to figure out the method because it was so clean. Smoked badly!

This set of DVD's is packed with effects, sleights and tips. Easy, powerful effects to advanced card work. Something for everyone! Can you tell how excited I am about this set?

NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I'm with you, Christopher. I've been spending a lot of time with this set. My recent little project is to master S.V.A.R., the slow motion vanish and recovery. Looks very magical.
kent1985
View Profile
Regular user
Perth (WA), Australia
148 Posts

Profile of kent1985
My copies just arrived.. can't wait to watch it..!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I finally finished watching all four DVDs. Good to great material throughout, but by far the highlight for me is that INCREDIBLE poker demonstration on volume four called "Paul Plays Poker".

Robert
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2855 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I just picked up the set of four. I have watched all the performances and can say that this is one great DVD set. The material is first rate. I have no problem at all with the performance only items. And I agree with Robert that the poker demo routine at the end is stellar. I'd recommend getting the entire set of four. You won't be disappointed.

Mike
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3826 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I just watched volume 3. I loved Paul's Knock Out tape and he has some really nice items on volume 3 of this new set as well. I was surprised at the poor camera work however. Not up to L&L's normal standards. For some reason Paul performed a lot of routines seated and L&L still decided to shoot from ground level. So many times, you could barely see what Paul was doing with the cards. Other times, the side angle was used and you could see coins flashing or other items you shouldn't see. Poor camera work aside, the tricks were generally very good. I was surprised that I liked Tipless best of all the items on the dvd.(aside from Predator which I already do).

I do have to disagree with those that thought the 8 card brainwave variation was an improvement over the original. I (and my wife who watched it with me) disagree. I actually thought it was a step backwards. What used to be a slow and fair display is now a cramped and rushed display where you barely see the backs of the cards. Plus, bringing the cards up to chest level to show the backs is a very unnatural move.

That aside, I thought volume three was pretty good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » R. Paul Wilson's Extreme Possibilities 4 DVD's (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL