The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Cruiseship shows...and what the female performer wears (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mika
View Profile
New user
USA & Germany
100 Posts

Profile of mika
Well, I have been wondering about my costume for cruiseship gigs. It looks like the cruisehip crowd is very conservative- but maybe it is only my agent... I usually wear a black asian style dress, which finishes above my knees ( this dress also has my ball holders for my magic/juggling stuff sewn in). Is there anybody who shows leg (i wear black Capezio tights,- you can't look through them) or is it really on the safer side to wear pants?

I got two comments (female entertainment director and female agent) .....can that be a problem for getting hired?

mika

The agent was indicating that female guests on the ship could become jealous...becasue I am very attractive wo I should tone down...
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I think 'attractive' and 'entertainment' go together, myself. But a longer dress generally communicates 'classier', and that might be a good message for that crowd.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
What's really funny about that is that the girls in the production shows will be wearing less.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
If you have to ask then you already know the answer!
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Mika - real answer here...

Stick to your creative vision. Do not let one comment derail you. There are plenty of female cruise ship performers who "show leg". One of them was reviewed by Max maven in Magic a few years back - Deja? She wore a leotard/skirt and that showed off her amazing legs.

Be you you want to be, not the otehr way around. BTW, this is contrary to what most people here would tell you, and that's one of the things wrong with magic.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
It also depends on the cruise line, Deja works Carnival (which pays crappy)& they're a mostly younger crowd. Some of the older lines may not want anything too risque.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
I don't think there's anything risque about what she described here, though.

If you take in a video of your work, the cruise line will either hire you or not. If they hire you, they'll tell you if you need to make a change... Do stay true to who you are as an artist. I am a costume designer, and I often find that women in magic tend to cross the line between sexy/classy and just trashy. There's a way to be sexy and always remain appropriate for any audience. This is key...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
But they won't hire you & ask tell you to make a change in attire...they'll just think "too racey, sexy, whatever'.
I maintain you don't to give them an excuse to not hire you.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-02-06 21:44, Jerskin wrote:
But they won't hire you & ask tell you to make a change in attire...they'll just think "too racey, sexy, whatever'.
I maintain you don't to give them an excuse to not hire you.

OK, fair enough. But what is the standard they are using to determine "too racey, too sexy?" It's all subjective. If you try to please everyone, you will end up pleasing no one.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
So if a dress that ends above the knee is too racey they wouldn't hire Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell.

They were wearing less when they portrayed very classy ship board entertainers over 50 years ago.

Women in general are not so petty as to be deterred from good entertainment by a younger/prettier/slimmer... whatever performer. If they were, a lot of the women currently employed in movies and television would be wearing full length dresses and waiting tables.

Destiny
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
53 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
My fiance and I have been working cruise ships for several years, mostly Royal Caribbean, and for most cruise lines you have nothing to worry about as long as you aren't wearing a thong. I !@#ume that the smaller and more expensive cruise lines (Seabourn, P&O, Cunard) would want you to be more conservative that other lines because of the clientele. The demographic on RCI is a mix of families, young couples, and older people depending on the time of year and the cruise length. There is no need to be concerned about a knee length dress being too short, if you look at the pics on our website you can see that most my costumes would be considered "sexy" but we have never gotten negative comments regarding anything I am currently wearing because our stage presence is not too sexual or offensive. The most important this is how your carry yourself, and I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
53 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
By the way, that last post was from me, Mistie! I just realized I didn't sign my name Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Cruiseship shows...and what the female performer wears (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL