We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk holder for steals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
Back in 1995, I visited the Magic Castle's magic sale. I bought a brass silk holder that is pinned under the jacket for silk steals. It consisted of a thin tube, maybe 1/4 inch diameter, with a slot cut into it that ran most the length of the tube. A plunger to use with the tube was also provided.

I have since lost it and want to get more of them. Does anyone know the name of this gimmick or if it's still being made? I believe the manufacturer was local to the California area.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Several different manufacturers make this gimmick, but one of the best is Lynetta Welch at Fabric Manipulation (www.fabricmanipulation.com).
Hagerman
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Hagerman
The Super Silk Roller/Holder from Fabric Manipulation is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the quick response!
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
761 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
This is a silk poke.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In a pinch, never underestimate the value of a safety pin with a hair pin hung on it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Or a simple Macramé pin (long straight pin). Not fancy but it sure works! No fuss no bother, just stick it where you want it and stick on the rolled silk. It’s an old Paul Diamond tip from back in the day (early 70’s).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Women have some of the best accessories around for silk magic. They are mislabeled "hair accessories". But just go shopping with an open mind.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Quote:
On 2008-01-08 14:09, Harry Murphy wrote:
Or a simple Macramé pin (long straight pin). Not fancy but it sure works! No fuss no bother, just stick it where you want it and stick on the rolled silk. It’s an old Paul Diamond tip from back in the day (early 70’s).

I think the long straight pin is the best silk holder I've ever used!

Levent
Man Ray
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Man Ray
Chanin would put a small curve in his holder to keep the silk from slipping off. This would be a handy tip with the macrame T pins.
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
133 Posts

Profile of lekin
I am wondering if you could also use banker's clips?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21867 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-02-22 19:33, lekin wrote:
I am wondering if you could also use banker's clips?

Not a good choice.
Quote:
On 2008-01-07 18:10, Hagerman wrote:
Back in 1995, I visited the Magic Castle's magic sale. I bought a brass silk holder that is pinned under the jacket for silk steals. It consisted of a thin tube, maybe 1/4 inch diameter, with a slot cut into it that ran most the length of the tube. A plunger to use with the tube was also provided.

I have since lost it and want to get more of them. Does anyone know the name of this gimmick or if it's still being made? I believe the manufacturer was local to the California area.

Okay, here it is, the silk winder you are referring to is no longer made. I had 6 made by Owen's Magic Over 30 years ago by the late Les Smith, owner at the time to Owen's Magic. It is discribed in the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, it is called the Sterling Silk Winder, I would imagine that it is the famous Harold Sterling, creator of many magic effect in the early years.

Tony Clark is making a larger version from today's material in plastic.

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/......ct_id=74
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3034 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I make mine from thick plastic soda straws (not the flimsy ones, but the thick ones you have to pay a bit more for). Cut a slit or a notch along the side- it doesn't have to run the length of the straw, and if you want it more solid than that, glue a wooden dowel inside the uncut part of the straw. Drill or poke a hole in the other end for a safety pin and you've got a nice, smooth holder with a notch for holding the end.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Jimgerrish:

Nice tip, thanks! I am going to give it a try.....

I've been using the old-school "safety pin with hanging bobbie pin" holders forever and they're stupidly cheap and just work......I've seen the ones that Tony Clark markets and they look good too..
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
It may not be the design you are looking for, but Tony Clark sells Silk Holders.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk holder for steals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL