The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using Google Adwords » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
371 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Isn't it possible to do BOTH? Create a killer website with good search engine optimization backed up by a good reputation AND use Adwords to bring in additional customers. You can always track your hits to see where your visitors are coming from.

Learning search engine optimization is much harder than learning Adwords I suspect, because there are so many variables to SEO, and you're competing against thousands of others. I may be totally wrong about this and I may get nothing from Adwords but I'm willing to give it a try.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you have a web site that sells your services, and it is search engine friendly adwords is redundant.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MatthewJames
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MatthewJames
Hello Al,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm laughing here.

That sounds all well and good, and I'm also an SEO expert.

SEO is not free though. SEO is free only if your time, and your webmasters time is free. Buying clicks is CHEAP, especially because they result in paid shows, lots of them!

Al, are you booked doing as many shows as you want? If so, congrats, then keep doing what you're doing! Most magicians are not in that boat.

Googling the terms you gave me had you come up in the 7th position roughly, not too bad. Ever consider what it would do for your business if you owned ALL top 7 spots?

Would it be a 7 times increase, or more than 7 times? This is possible, but not with anything regarding metatags.

By the way, to clear things up, advertising whether free or paid, is not begging for business. It's advertising.

Al, I question you for my own knowledge and learning, and I'm wondering if you've bought any clicks at all? It will take you broke?? Did it make you broke?

I understand we can all have our opinions here, but coming out and saying that "buying clicks is stupid and will make you broke" is kind of funny to me. I'd be curious to know if you tried Adwords and it didn't work for you, but I'm glad you're doing well with your free SEO.

Best of luck with your site!

Matthew James
ToolsForMagicians.com

[email]matthew@toolsformagicians.com[/email]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Matthew
You are selling a fool proof formula. I am not selling or giving away any of my secrets, but I HAVE NEVER PAID FOR A HIT IN MY LIFE, and I find your acusations very flattering. By all means sell your bill of goods, I just want people to know that everything you are selling is in the public domaine.
MatthewJames
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MatthewJames
"Isn't it possible to do BOTH? Create a killer website with good search engine optimization backed up by a good reputation AND use Adwords to bring in additional customers. You can always track your hits to see where your visitors are coming from."

ABSOLUTELY!

You're building a business on quicksand if you just rely on SEO or just rely on Adwords or a single Parent magazine, etc.

SEO is changing VERY fast; Web 2.0.

Trust me, if you want to rank well in the coming months and years, start learning about Web 2.0 because its changing VERY fast, and people are gonna be stunned when their sites are nowhere in the search engines, passed up by goofy videos from YouTube.

Even if you're #1 on Google, that doesn't mean anything!!! On some keywords, more people click the #2 spot. Also, some people don't click SEO results, they go straight to Adwords ads, cause the average person doesn't know they are ads!

One more tip, alongside with what you said; you MUST track.

Thousands of hits don't mean crap unless they convert! I see everyone bragging about "hits", but conversion is what matters. Some magicians get everyone to see their sites, but they've got so much flash and no direction and the person just leaves the site without buying.

First, work on making your website convert, meaning getting people to BOOK you, then worry about driving lots of traffic to it via SEO and any other means.

Best of success,

Matthew James
ToolsForMagicians.com

MatthewJames
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MatthewJames
Heh, thanks for your comments Al.

Best of luck with your site,

Matthew James
ToolsForMagicians.com

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Matthew
I have had my web site as my primary source of advertising for over 10 years, and all of my strategies has come the hard way.

Yes it is possible to use a high search engine placement and adwords, but without having your web site as a persuasive sales tool all that you get from adwords will be hits.
HAVE FUN
Al
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I have also asked Al how a website, business cards and referrals are the ONLY WAY he can keep booked up. I suggested promoting your business my land you more shows, higher paid shows, shows closer to home, shows that you WANT to do (your choice, all or some of the aforementioned).

If Al is able to meet all those criteria from the only three methods above. I want HIS course!!! (Or, spill if here, and share Al!!!)

Al also mentioned he has a great act (no doubt) but just think how many more folks would want to buy it and flock to his door if he promoted/advertised and potential clients new this. As I pointed out to Al even the BIG boys who do image/brand promotion do the specials and advertise this fact (think Mc Donalds, Ford, GM, Hilton etc. etc. etc., year round and seasonally). I have several different shows (think products) and if I want to maximise the number of times a client uses my services, I have to promote this fact to them.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

(P.S. I hope Matthew is able to give you an understanding of what he is offering and doing for you with his course/program)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Blair
I thank you for all of your kind words, and everything I have said here is true. I have been going against the grain at "tricky business" for years, and my high search engine placement is a closely guarded secret, but I learned all of it through trial and error. If you look at my web site you will see very few words, and lots of pictures of people having fun with me.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

But how do people get to YOUR site. (I notice you also list the other promotional sites/sgencies on the first page).

Hear me out here.

A person has to be looking for entertainment, they have to be thinking magic or juggler, they have to go to the computer if they choose this method, they have to search, filter etc. this is not a pro-active means of advertiseing. Yes, once you get them there then it is your job to CATCH'em SELL'em!!!

I would have to ask (and please PM me if you feel uncomfortable answering here)
how many shows do you do, or target to do, each year? And only because I have no idea, what do jugglers charge for a show?? By show, by hour, by add-ons???? ie add some magic?? I have no idea!

My goal is 300-350 shows this year (all levels).

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Blair
People find me by googling "Magician Philadelphia" or "Juggler Philadelphia", I do belong to several free directories, I pass out my business card very liberally, and this is how I get practically all of my hits. I never make cold calls, send thank you cards, Christmas cards, or any kind of reminders through the mail. Jugglers charge about the same fees as magicians, both by the hour, and by the show. I have done about 200 shows a year consistently for about the last ten years within 100 miles of my house. I have to laugh at all of the how to be a successful magician courses sold here, because I have always followed my own instincts. I am very lazy, and I save all of my energy for show time where I jump around on stage like a man half my age.

PS- I do have several local agents that use me exclusively both for their juggling jobs, and magic jobs, but we all do networking.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
On 2008-01-08 22:10, jackturk wrote:

Another tip I just heard from a guy who's pretty knowledgeable about Search Engine Optimization -- don't overlook MSN's Adcenter. According to him, the search engine most used by women is MSN's. And since most birthday parties are booked by Mom... I'm looking into additional sources to back this assertion up, but it definitely makes sense to at least consider placing some bets on not just Google alone. The search box on Internet Explorer gets some pretty hefty usage too.

--Jack

Jack, I still believe this is the case.
Google is the main Business to Business search engine. More likely to be used for corporate bookings etc.
Yahoo/ MSN etc is still the main search engine for individuals, the mother booking a party etc.

There are some differences in how they function, but the principles are still the same.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

OK, so here is where we differ.

The MAJORITY of my shows are within 10 miles of my home, most within 5 miles (saves time, saves money = more shows at high seasons) my rates go from the family show market to the corporate illusion show. (My stand-up 30 minutes is pulling a grand, not often, but often enough).

I don't send out Christmas cards, although I do send thank-you notes (marketing, and as a courtesy).

I do not do cold calling.

I have 5 different family market shows which enable me to book up to 5 shows with the same customer in a year (locks out competition, generates referrals through frequency, I only promote the shows with whom I want to work for). ie. I have already booked several shows with clients for Christmas on Dec. 19, 22 and 23 within a mile of my home!! Yes, I contacted them and made the offer, but I know NOW where I will be two-three days before Christmas (and should there be a storm). AND THEY were appreciative that they were able to book my services so close to Christmas, AND they have been invoiced, AND they thanked ME!. Oh yes, they also paid my new 2008 rate, 10% higher than 2007.

So I get out there!

But all this depends on what YOU want, out of magic and YOUR life. Gotta be happy with what you are doing!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Blair
If you want the majority of your work to be close to home I suggest that you make all of your meta tage say both "WHAT, and WHERE" you are. For example I am "Juggler Philadelphia" and "Magician Philadelphia" this way the people in Pittsburg 350 miles away do not get my name in their Google search.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

That's why I own MontrealMagicien.com, OttawaMagician.com, MontrealMagician.ca, MagicienMontreal.com. Not up yet, BUT they will be!!

Aa gas moves higher and higher, I appreciate the shows being close to home!!!!

Blair
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Blair
Are you confusing a meta tag with a domaine name?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

No, but to my knowledge site activity is a combination of both, I have the above domain names, each will have the appropriate meta tags (market specific). And I plan to keep BlairMarshall.ca and ShaZzamShow.com as my corporate, and show sites respectively.

As you can see from my activity, I do not have the time to "read the books", as I am a performing magician I will turn to someone (probably Matthew) for his help (course) on getting it all together, up and running!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
MatthewJames
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MatthewJames
Hey Blair,

Al makes a good point about targeting your site just to a specific area, but here's the easiest way:

Just pop up some Adwords ads for the exact areas you want to perform in! Google lets you target specific towns, cities, or states/provinces.

I too still do offline marketing (as it is silly to rely on only a couple sources of business-too unstable). I've always said, anyone who is not sending out Thank You cards is craaaazzzyyyy!!! Ask Eric Paul about this! So many magicians NEVER send a thank you card. Not just magicians either, but EVERY service professional. I can only remember 1 time where I received a thank you from a service professional; happened to be a massage therapist at a high end hotel. What a coincide that my girlfriend and I will be returning soon and asking for HER. Sure, it does take a little time, and about 41 cents for postage, but oh man, it is soooooo worth it! As Deano would tell you too, I could give you my client list and they'd say, sorry, we only do business with Matthew or Dean. THAT is what you want if you want to be around long-term and avoid the swings in the economy, etc. Get a solid base of clients who LOVE and ADORE you and who will only use YOU.

I know you're doing this already Blair, so congrats! Smile

Take care,

Matthew James
ToolsForMagicians.com

Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Can you ge those ad words for free, or do you pay for them?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 21:29, MatthewJames wrote:
Get a solid base of clients who LOVE and ADORE you and who will only use YOU.

Matthew James

Matthew you hit it on the nose with that statement.....

I stay in touch with many of my clients. I find many will help you with other projects and or leads. I have a client who is actually allowing us to use her mansion in Laguna Hills to film a few things at no cost to us and she also treats for dinner.... LOVELY LADY indeed. I send some clients postcards, emails, and funny jokes or interesting stories I find on line....

I also have a client in Palm Springs who owns a Dairy Queen and she loves it when I stop in for ice cream....

:) Smile Smile
So staying in touch I think is a must...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using Google Adwords » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL