The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Creating leads at shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I hear a lot of people saying that you should be booking shows as a result of performing shows... I've heard recently that you should be booking two or three shows after a show...

That's great and all... but the question is HOW?

Other than the obvious quality of the show, what else can you do/say during the show that will create qualified leads?

Sam
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Sam -

First off, I agree. Quality of the show, and your business behavior off stage, are vital.

There are subtle (and some not-so-subtle) mentions you can do during the show, that promote other shows (cross-promote), or suggest the idea for people to approach you after your show to ask for a card (or so you can get their info), etc.

You can also do giveaways to the entire audience, in some circumstances. Or run a fan club. Or offer an interesting newsletter that people can sign up for. Etc.

Plus there are other ideas, like asking for referrals and repeat business.

Keep looking through threads on The Café for some ideas.

Julian Franklin also shares some ideas in his "Viral Marketing" product, as does Eric Paul in his "How to Become Your Area's Top Children's Entertainer" course. In those resources you might find specific scripts of what you could say during your show, to plant some seeds in the audience's minds.

Is this the sort of help you were looking for?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
There are several things you can do.

Make sure they remember your name. You can weave it into your act somehow, like Mac King does, or have it displayed on a sign placed on stage.

Have a give-a-way that includes you name and contact information.

Leave extra business cards or flyers in the back of the room for people to pick up on their way out.

But most importantly, have a great show. They should be approaching you after each show asking for your card. When they do, ask for their card and give them call the next day. If people aren't asking for your card, your show needs work.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I feel that sometimes it isn't appropriate to try and pick up extra gigs. For one, if you are there with an agent you can't hand out business cards. Also, I often do weddings and I am there to entertain the guests. I don't think the bride and groom would appreciate me selling myself during the show or passing out flyers etc.

Furthermore, when I do a show at a corporate function, after the show I leave the stage and return to the dressing room. I don't particularly want to wait around for the party to finish and hand out business cards as people leave. Is this what I should do though? Or, is it best to do BOR and promote yourself after the show?

Thanks

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Simon, I agree that it would be inappropriate for someone to market at an event such as a wedding, but I would make sure the the bride and groom have a couple of extra business cards on have to give to people who might ask them later, "Who was that magician you had at your wedding?"

At an event handled by an agent I would either have the agent's card, or have a good enough relationship with that agent so he or she knows I'll refer spin offs to them even if I give out my own card.

Finally, at a corporate event, I would not hang around and pass out business cards as people leave, but it doesn't hurt to mix a little with the folks after your program. There might be some interest from another department or division, and you might have an opportunity to meet those people. They will ask your initial contact about your services anyway, and you can even ask your initial contact if he or she could refer you to another department or division, but it's always nice to meet them in person. Of course, if it was booked by an agent or bureau you would want to refer them back to the bureau.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Knock their socks off on stage.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yes, you should act appropriately for the type of show / venue you are working. Sometimes having your name on a show sign or mentioned in the show, is the correct amount of "appropriateness".

And yes, I always give my business cards to my customer (along with some other things which are not promotional materials) at the show, in case others ask him / her about my services.

And yes, if you were hired through an agent, you give their card, not yours. Ask the agent for a bunch of their cards so you can do that. You could print your name on the card, so the potential lead knows which performer to request.

BTW, question for Jim. Do you feel that if you give some sort of souvenir to all of the children in the audience (with your name / contact info on it), that you will still be approached by people for your business card? Do you think it would happen the same amount, or less, or more? I have some personal opinions about this based on experience, but I am interested in yours. Thanks.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Donald,

I think you will still be approached for a business card, but I don't know if it would be more or less. It's been a long time since I gave things to children in the audience, so I can't really answer your question. What is your experience?

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 10:26, Jim Snack wrote:
Simon, I agree that it would be inappropriate for someone to market at an event such as a wedding, but I would make sure the the bride and groom have a couple of extra business cards on have to give to people who might ask them later, "Who was that magician you had at your wedding?"

I make it a point never to disagree with the likes of Jim and Donald - their wisdom is invaluable - invaluble - enval...Priceless. Still, I don't see the harm in casually leaving your business card behind as part of a killer closing effect. I have several full-color business card designs that include the blow-off to an effect on the back; a rising card in a goblet, appearing writing divining a lost card or mentalist effect, etc. The effect is the focus; the business card is a "souvenir" of the moment.

Its marketing without the crude "Here's my card - call me" approach. Just a thought. Jim...Donald...am I wrong here? Am I being socially crass? Smile

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you feel that if you give some sort of souvenir to all of the children in the audience (with your name / contact info on it), that you will still be approached by people for your business card? Do you think it would happen the same amount, or less, or more? I have some personal opinions about this based on experience, but I am interested in yours. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This reminds me of Trixie Bond's approach. At the end of her show she asks the children to group together for a photo then asks all who want a free gift to raise hands. As she hands the promotional big bill or other promo item out she casually states for the adults present, "This is what we call marketing." Gets a laugh and calls parental attention to the items being handed out.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Skip, I think there is a big difference between "selling oneself during a show and passing out flyers" and casually leaving a few business cards behind. I think you can take a low key approach to marketing without offending anyone, and, if done tastefully, you can even include a little subtle marketing in your show. It sounds like that is your approach.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
See there! I KNEW we were in sync! All that KIDabra training is really paying off! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Sorry for the two typos in my last post. I've been up late the past two nights doing my 2007 taxes and my brain is fried! The good news is that my business gross was up nearly 20% last year. The bad news is that my business gross was up nearly 20% last year...and I'll have a tax bill due in April. Anyway Skip, we are on the same page.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Going back to Sam's inquiry, I too have heard of folks BOOKING other shows after just having done a show. On this thread I have noticed that no one has mentioned booking additional shows, at a show.

One of the interesting things that has arisen for me is how the image you have built impacts the "request for card" ie. when I am doing a family show now it is usually for a LARGE number of people, most in attendance would think I am either too expensive, too busy, or not interested in doing smaller parties or groups etc.
Also if the material I am performing is "playing big" this will reduce the "requests for card". When I have been on a "variety" show with other magicians for a family audience, the "children's" act will get requests for cards, but not the illusion act (for the aforementioned reasons) even if it was family oriented.

So as has been mentioned above, you have to plant the idea in your audience/s mind that you would be a suitable attraction for their next event.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 10:26, Jim Snack wrote:

At an event handled by an agent I would either have the agent's card, or have a good enough relationship with that agent so he or she knows I'll refer spin offs to them even if I give out my own card.

Finally, at a corporate event, I would not hang around and pass out business cards as people leave, but it doesn't hurt to mix a little with the folks after your program. There might be some interest from another department or division, and you might have an opportunity to meet those people. They will ask your initial contact about your services anyway, and you can even ask your initial contact if he or she could refer you to another department or division, but it's always nice to meet them in person. Of course, if it was booked by an agent or bureau you would want to refer them back to the bureau.

Jim

Thanks for that Jim. Some good points there.

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
A neat little technique I always pre-script into my programs is the casual mention. For instance, when I'm doing a birthday show there's one routine I do that I know just kills for adults as well. So I "casually mention" something like, "and I'm now going to attempt an experiment that I actually did at a Microsoft morale event..."

This totally comes to mind as I got a call for a corporate gig last night, and the message the guy left me was, "we had you over for a couple birthday parties and I remember you mentioned something about Microsoft morale event..."

This isn't the same thing as saying, "Hey, hire me!" -- it's a subtle way to plant the farm out there that you have lots of great services to offer. I wouldn't do this with every routine, but a couple times during your program seems appropriate.

Something to consider as you're scripting your show.
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Great idea, Jack. I was going to mention that one also, but you beat me to it.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Here is a cross promotion concept a lot of you have never thought about but I swear it works.

I decided the number of people who book shows a second time - for a party or small event - was much less then the number who booked me the first time. It took a year to convince a friend that we should make refrigerator magnets (they are never tossed out) and when I was in someone's home, I would put HIS magnet on the frig and he would put mine on the frig where he was.

We kept records including the all important question "Where did you hear about me?". . Both our business increased slightly more then 17 percent. We both booked shows in the same homes and knew that recommendations were also coming from the refrigerator magnets from people who never saw us perform. Some of the homeowners would recommend the performer they didn't see just because the other performer was fun..... I have realized that no matter how brilliant I would like to be, I am a just commodity and need to treat what I do as such. There were magicians before I was borne and there will be magicians when I am gone.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 19:23, Blair Marshall wrote:

One of the interesting things that has arisen for me is how the image you have built impacts the "request for card" ie. when I am doing a family show now it is usually for a LARGE number of people, most in attendance would think I am either too expensive, too busy, or not interested in doing smaller parties or groups etc.
Also if the material I am performing is "playing big" this will reduce the "requests for card". When I have been on a "variety" show with other magicians for a family audience, the "children's" act will get requests for cards, but not the illusion act (for the aforementioned reasons) even if it was family oriented.

Blair hit the nail on the head with this one. ...This is my big problem.

I always have people come up to me after the show and say how fantastic it was, and thank me for the performance. However, it's few and far between I get asked for a card.
As Blair suggested, I think the problem is that the majority of the work I do is on the large-scale illusion show side, and people are most likely assuming that I'm out of their price range. This is hardly ever true as I offer a wide variety of packages to clients.

I need a way to tell them, that yes, I do these larger shows, but I can also work for lower budgeted events.

Is anyone else running into this problem, or am I way off my mark and have no idea what I'm talking about?

Sam
Eric Paul
View Profile
New user
Phoenixville, PA
66 Posts

Profile of Eric Paul
Hi Sam,

Check out:

http://www.moremoneywithmagic.com/videos.htm

I just posted a video mini-series on this very topic.

You may find it useful.

Enjoy,

EP
Eric Paul
"Dedicated to Bringing Your Magic to the PAYING Public!"
Web: http://www.MoreMoneyWithMagic.com
Blog: http://moremoneywithmagic.com/blog
Members ONLY Site: http://www.Magic-Mastermind.com
<
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Creating leads at shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL