The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Technique Master by Ichiro Araki (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Check out video trailer looks interesting!

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/dvds/techniquemaster.html
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Looks good.If they withdrew the knock offs I'd buy it!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Indeed it does look good. And Ben Salinas translates for Mr. Araki on this DVD.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Hopefully they give proper crediting, the Triumph is almost exactly like John Bannon's last man standing. The coin routine looks like a move published by Larry Jennings in his book, as well as the load move made popular by Jay Sankey based off of a L'Homme de la Masque move.
do magic

www.8bom.net
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
First, seriously, you expect credits? It's MAGIC MAKERS. They have a reputation to uphold, and money says they won't disappoint.

Second, the video looked brutal. Unmotivated and convoluted handlings, and tired plots. This guy is "unquestionably one of the greatest card workers the world has known"? Really? I don't know about that...

Third, I didn't realize that the best magic Japan had to offer was the Jenning's handling of Goodwin's stand-up triumph (except, with a much much worse set-up procedure). Or some suspect looking copper, silver, brass. Etc.

Feel free to support magic makers. I, personally, wouldn't buy anything of theirs- even if it was the Vernon/Marlo sessions. But you are free to waste your cash anyway you see fit.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I agree that nothing was impressive about the video either. The demo just looked like another one of those DVD's that teaches variations, and mostly inferior, of the existing originals. Of course, it is not fair for me to judge the video when I don't have it, but that is definitely what it seems like to me after watching the demo.

For "real" magic of Japan, I would recommend picking up "New Magic of Japan" and "Five Times Five: Japan" instead. Another great(!!!) video focusing on Japanese magic is "Magic of Japan" released by Steven's Magic Emporium.

My 2 NT's,
Charles
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Charles and Ben have both pointed out the potential flaws with this release. I agree with Charles, either buy 5 times 5 Japan or wait for Kaufman to release the new book of Japanese magic he is working on.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the heads up
Cards never lie
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
The video demo not even come close to my little magic shop demonstrator's daily practice...
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The card work on the demo is as crappy as mine.

Magic Makers, because of their reputation, is quite limited in who they can get to do DVD's for them, so....don't expect much.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
I thought Goodwin/Jennings Triumph involved more playing with the deck ( I read it once from Trapdoor magazine ), in any case,

I'm actually intrested, as I like seeing how people think when it comes to card magic and seeing an uknown name ( to my memory at least ) triggers my sensors. Does this fellow has any reputation in Japan ( msc455magic perhaps can answer this? )

~ Feras
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-14 23:45, Medifro wrote:
.... I like seeing how people think when it comes to card magic and seeing an uknown name ( to my memory at least ) triggers my sensors. Does this fellow has any reputation in Japan ( msc455magic perhaps can answer this? )

~ Feras

Yes, he's known for his expertise in sushi knife cleaning. That was good enough for Magic Makers to put him on a magic DVD.
:rotf:

Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
If you want a superb video on Japanese magic there is a copy of the out of print Steven's video in the "Let's Make Magic Deal" section right now at a very fair price from a very trustworthy seller. I'm amazed that it hasn't been snatched up yet. Additionally, L&L will be releasing a new Dr. Sawa DVD set sometime this year (hopefully in the not-too-distant future).

If you want info regarding Ichiro Araki I would suggest that Hideo Kato would be the man to ask. Personally, as a collector of Japanese magic, I have found nothing from him prior to this.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
...other than the fact that he is supposedly a well known singer/actor in Japan, and co-hosts a magic website HERE.

More info HERE
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 00:40, Magiguy wrote:
Personally, as a collector of Japanese magic, I have found nothing from him prior to this.

Agreed. As I said, I think most people here would benefit more from Kaufman's books on Japanese magic.

Best,
Charles
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 22:30, Donny Orbit wrote:
Hopefully they give proper crediting, the Triumph is almost exactly like John Bannon's last man standing. The coin routine looks like a move published by Larry Jennings in his book, as well as the load move made popular by Jay Sankey based off of a L'Homme de la Masque move.

Yes, I thought the Triumph on the clip looked a little like Last Man Standing with the Goodwin display, but I'd not pass judgement from a small clip like this and would like a proper review from anyone that's seen this DVD completely. Some of the stuff that comes out of Japan is very interesting (as in the mentioned books)so it's unfair to trash the guy because he's not known here, or without seeing the full product.

As suggested, Hideo might know more of this fellow's reputation in Japan. I thought the DVD might be of interest.

Paul.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-19 10:33, Paul wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-09 22:30, Donny Orbit wrote:

Yes, I thought the Triumph on the clip looked a little like Last Man Standing with the Goodwin display, but I'd not pass judgement from a small clip like this and would like a proper review from anyone that's seen this DVD completely. Some of the stuff that comes out of Japan is very interesting (as in the mentioned books)so it's unfair to trash the guy because he's not known here, or without seeing the full product.

As suggested, Hideo might know more of this fellow's reputation in Japan. I thought the DVD might be of interest.

Paul.

Paul, remember it's a Magic Makers product. You know how they are. You don't support Magic Makers, do you? I mean, you'd never buy or, God Forbid, work for them, right?

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Re: "Paul, remember it's a Magic Makers product. You know how they are. You don't support Magic Makers, do you? I mean, you'd never buy or, God Forbid, work for them, right?"

I did! But I guess you knew that? Right? My DVD's were produced by this company. As were the Wesley James DVD's and the Royal Road DVD's, the card splitting DVD, which I didn't think were bad at all. Each item should be judged on its own merit.

Do I agree with everything they do? No I don't (nor plenty of other dealers).When I was more active as a dealer, I never sold anything I thought was suspect. Do an achive search and you'll even find a post from me pointing out "The Dice Through Mirror" was pirated. Although MM weren't the first to take it, I think they pirated a pirate copy from India. In fact, in dealing I sought out original and different material and had a far smaller range than most. But I discovered you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Now, had YOU approached me to do a DVD project, and offered me a reasonable sum, I would have done it, but you didn't. And no-one else did either, but MM asked and so I did it. Their business dealings with me were fair and above board and they did not screw me over in any way.

Certainly, the average magic buyer should be more knowledeable and be aware of what is and what isn't a copy, or who actually owns the rights to what (which is not always who you think - Paul Fox cups for example, or the Art of Close Up books or a zillion intant downloads)then make their decisions accordingly. The truth is, the biggest buyers are the newcomers to magic and children, who would be better advised buying books, rather than being brainwashed by all the 'hype' of new and recycled releases week in and week out.

I don't buy many DVD's (preferring books personally). I thought this one might be interesting despite who produced it. I judge an item on its own merit. My last good DVD buy was Aldo's packet trick DVD produced by Meir Yedid. But, let's not get off topic...

Paul.
P.S. If anyone else wants to do a different DVD project with me, make me a good offer!
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Well said Paul. I think people can become real jerks on here sometimes. Now back to the DVD at hand, I believe Mr. Aracki has a few hardcover books out called Technical Coin Magic and Technical Card Magic and is well respected and known in Tokyo.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-19 16:41, Paul wrote:
Re: "Paul, remember it's a Magic Makers product. You know how they are. You don't support Magic Makers, do you? I mean, you'd never buy or, God Forbid, work for them, right?"

I did! But I guess you knew that? Right?

Paul, I didn't know you did a project with them. I've never seen your DVD on any site for sale or reviewed on the Café. I only recently started seeing your posts and very much enjoy reading what you have to say.

Yes, Wesley and 2 of my favorites, Simon Lovel and Randy Wakeman, have done projects with them. I say I wouldn't do a set with them if asked, but that's easy to say when I'm not being asked. They should do one with me, just for the fun of seeing me say how wrong I was about them and having 500 people post what a liar and thief I am. The set wouldn't sell because I stink, but it would be a funny scenario!

I once asked Aldo about working for a company that had no scruples. He said " Chris, I only care that I get paid". I love honesty like that.

Paul, thanks for the response. Your honesty was also refreshing!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Technique Master by Ichiro Araki (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL