The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reading drifficultries (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I'm finding it more and more difficult to read books. For me it is exactly like when one tries to start a new and better life with push-ups and other boring exercises every day. It only lasts for a while and then one simply cannot find the energy.

I know that many (perhaps most) people here are natural readers who have no problem with it. Me, I get no enjoyment from reading anything. I am a slow reader. it is a struggle. My concentration drifts and drifts. It is something I frankly dislike. I never read anything I don't have to. No magazines or newspapers or anything. For some reason many people still tend to describe me as "well read". What a joke.

What I'm interested in is how people who have reading difficulties tackle the amount of material one has to get through. It will not necessarily be helpful to me to have people say things about laziness and how they are better people than me because they have no problems reading. Smile I know I have poor self dicipline. That is the problem.

But if someone have some study technique that has helped them. Some system they utilize, such as ten minutes every day before breakfast... anything. That would be very interesting to me!

This magic stuff is something very solitary at times. You just sit alone and work and work and after a while it becomes harder and harder to force oneself to do the push-ups.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I think the key is motivation. I only read stuff that interests ME. For example, I have a copy of "Royal Road to Card Magic" that I have never read, because I am not interested in card magic. If it weren't for Magicbob and having to proofread and edit his "I Hate Card Tricks" book, I would probably never venture into the card magic threads on this forum at all. But he has turned card magic into magic tricks I like, mini-versions of stage illusions, etc. so now I may venture an opinion in the card threads... but only about his type of card tricks.

When I read a newspaper or even the Internet news- I just look at the headlines. If a headline grabs my interest, I may read the article, but I only read as much of the article as keeps my interest going. I never feel obligated to read an entire article just because someone has written more words than I care to deal with. The only time I have to read 100% of anything is when I am editing and proofreading, and it can be sheer torture if the topic is not in the least bit interesting to me. So I only take on those projects I find of interest.

I have a complete set of Tarbell. I still find new things in it that I never bothered to read before, simply because I wasn't interested in them at the time. I will probably die having skipped over whole sections I found of little interest (mostly card tricks, I suspect!).

My point is, do not feel guilty about reading only what interests you. You don't have to know everything there is to know about performing a trick... just enough to get you started and then you can stop reading and start routining. Later on, you may want to go back and read up on it again and you may get a whole new perspective on a trick you have been performing for years. Or you may find out that by NOT reading too much about it, you filled in the gaps yourself, coming up with a completely original interpretation of the trick. It happens all the time as I am sure others will verify.

I am not the least bit insulted if you didn't read this entire answer to your topic, so don't feel guilty if you skipped over it!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings.

Short bursts. When I have hard material, that being Theology, Magic, or Mad Magazine, I take short bursts. Read for the amount that I can concentrate on, and give myself a short break after that... then return to reading again.

What isn't helpful is beating myself up for what I haven't done. Isn't productive at all. If it is a theology book, I will look at reading a section, or give myself a goal of a number of pages to read. I notice that if I am getting frustrated, I can read the same paragraph four times and still not have "read" it.

For Magic books, I break it down into sections. Each effect I break down. Read through the description of an effect. And then give yourself a break. Read through what you will need for the effect. And then give yourself a break. Take your time. It isn't a sprint, but more of a marathon. Pace yourself, and be kind to yourself.

For each move, I will work on the separately. When I get one so I have been able to do it once. Not perfectly, but just once, I know that I have gotten the material at least read correctly. And then I will move to the next move.

After you have worked through all of it, put it together.

Most importantly... find something that interests you. If you are a coin guy and you are trying to tackle a reading issue by reading card stuff... going to be harder. If the main purpose is figuring out what the best way for you to read magic material, then find something that speaks to you. That makes you want to read.

I have always been able to read my magic books WAY more easily than other material that I don't find as stimulating. Like the book of Leviticus.

RevJohn
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Well, great minds think alike.

RevJohn
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
There is no point to reading if it doesn't carry information or leads to relaxation. Most studies (scientific) shows that students who read frequently in subjects they find interesting are a lot better at reading comprehension than those who are forced to read stupid texts that they are not interested in or by choice not read at all. If you do not have anything interesting to read then don't read. You are not gaining anything by forcing yourself to read something you are just not interested in or at least that is what research says.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Rev John is right, short periods. Never more than 20 min, you forget what you read anyway if you read much longer. If 20 min is two long, make it shorter. Picking up a book several times a day for 10 min is better than never picking it up. When getting into something new, like magic, we have a desire to learn a lot fast, but that really only overwhelms you. Slow and steady gets you there. Think Tortise not the Hare. Of course in magic there are so many videos available these days, one rarely has to read if they don't want to. I'm just the opposite of you, I love to read, and fall asleep within minutes watching a video.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Reading is like anything else, it takes practice. The more you read the better you will get. I understand having difficulty reading some things, so just find something that you find interesting and read it. Maybe that's sports or humor or maybe it's that one effect that you are really interested in learning. Reading just to read can be extremely boring even for folks who like to read.

You might also check your vision. Sometimes the reason that you don't enjoy reading is that you can't see that well. If you don't want to see a doctor or eye guy/gal, do a search on the Web, there are several pretty good tests on line.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
All good advice so far Mr. Noobini but, remember one thing..."you reap what you sow". (Reading Drifficultries I like that LOL Smile )
Cardamagically,
Dom
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
These are the steps that work for me:

I don’t just pick up a book a force myself to read,
“because I have to”, or I feel guilty about it.

I first pick a routine or trick that I am excited about
learning. (Excitement is what will keep me moving
when it gets tough or boring.)

Then I do a bit of research here at the café.
Jot down a couple of quick notes or cut and
paste anything that I think might be useful into a document

Print this document and get it in my hands whenever I do the next
steps that I will describe. This is so I can start writing my
comments on this sheet as I watch videos, read and practice.

I get together any books and DVD’s that have this
material in them.

Then I intermix the use of videos, books and practice.
I need to do my reading earlier in the day, and not right
after eating or I’ll fall asleep. Smile

(Just remembered something that really helps me when reading,
I have an electronic "pen" that I can scan a word that I
don't understand and it will give me the definition immediately
on an small LCD screen.) No more thumbing through a dictionary.

When I say read that doesn’t mean I always read word by word,
line by line. Sometimes a quick “scan” of the material.
Other times a more in-depth reading.

The intermixing of books videos and practice seems to make reading
books easier. I have to be careful not to rely only on DVDs too
much.

And the most important think for me to do is: I make sure I practice
what I am learning EVERY DAY if only for 15 minutes.
This “hands-on” makes my reading easier and
my reading starts to make more sense.

I also find it important to "visualize" what I am going to practice
as well as understand what I am going to do before I pick ANYTHING up.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
A great bit thank you to everyone! I read everything you said without feeling the least bit bored or distracted and I feel better now. I too have the experience that my most successful magic book learnin' has been when following a discussion here and then use the books as reference.

I guess I was a little disappointed in myself since I thought coming here to South America where I know no one and have absolutely nothing to do except stay in my room or in various cafés all day, I would finally have the time and patience to get through a brick or two. But no. It turns out that wherever you go, you carry your personality with you. (I haven't been less insecure about performing either just because nobody knows me here. Odd how that works.)

There are so many people here in the café that have a HUGE knowledge of sleights which seems like such an impressive foundation to build on. I started with magic so late that I have to accept that I will never get through a great deal of material. I'm kind of a perfectionist and I know that I sort of suck at magic right now. That isn't a good motivator for performing and when I think that I will never get more than a little better than I am now, I do feel a pressure to cram down a ton of theory.

But of course that doesn't happen. because one always carries one's own personality everywhere... even into new fields of interest.

But I am probably comparing myself to the wrong people because I'm sure that I really know a good deal more than many others who have only practiced magic for a little over a year.

I will try to follow your advice and do a little every day. But that is the kind of stamina that is hard to keep up when one cannot really feel that there is much progress. I often find myself wondering what the point is. Even though I do find some books I have fascinating, they seem to be endlessly thick.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Have fun with your DVD's then...

If you do not find reading fun, nothing anyone says here is going to change that.

Please realize though, that not every magic trick ever invented is on a dvd somewhere...

Few people enjoy the push-ups, but many people enjoy the muscles that are the product of the hard work.

good luck,
G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Reading is a habit. To overcome problems, you must make it a habit.
Cards never lie
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 17:43, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
There are so many people here in the café that have a HUGE knowledge of sleights which seems like such an impressive foundation to build on. I started with magic so late that I have to accept that I will never get through a great deal of material. I'm kind of a perfectionist and I know that I sort of suck at magic right now. That isn't a good motivator for performing and when I think that I will never get more than a little better than I am now, I do feel a pressure to cram down a ton of theory.

But I am probably comparing myself to the wrong people because I'm sure that I really know a good deal more than many others who have only practiced magic for a little over a year.

I often find myself wondering what the point is. Even though I do find some books I have fascinating, they seem to be endlessly thick.

There are people here at The Café that have a huge knowledge (I call it book knowledge) of sleights, but I believe the percentage of the ones who have complete mastery of all those sleights is low. It is never too late to start learning magic and getting ahead a little at a time is better than nothing. What is the point you ask? You are pursuing something that has kindled your curiosity & you feel a need to nurture & fullfill that curiosity. Ask yourself: what got me into this mess in the first place. Books on Magic are indeed fascinating in the fact that they are meant to be endless. Look at them as endless references of information that you will feed off of for the rest of your life. Take small bites and savor what you read. Go back for seconds even thirds, gorge yourself. You don't eat once in a while do you? You eat food daily to sustain yourself...reading sustains your brain my friend, so feed it. Cheers!
Cardamagically,
Dom
:) Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Reading drifficultries (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL