The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » New DVD - Magic Tricks For Golfers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
872 Posts

Profile of gitty
Hank Lee is selling a new DVD:
Magic Tricks for Golfers with Byrd & Coats.

Does anybody know what tricks are on the DVD?
I would need more infos!

Thanks,
Walther
WALTHER
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Cool, would like to see a review on this as I am an avid golfer as well.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Got a link? It does not come up in the search.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
flekka
View Profile
Regular user
wirral, england,
186 Posts

Profile of flekka
what you achieve in life echo's for eternety
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I will not get these. I've seen some of Byrd and Coat's DVDs, and heard about others. They're aweful.

Jeff
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
As an avid golfer, I would love to do some golf-related tricks in between holes on the golf course. It's too bad there is no description as to what the tricks are. Perhaps someone who has bought it can post a review.

Fore!
CoinCon
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CoinCon
Being known for being a magician ,and living on a golf course in IL, Magic Tricks Fore Golfers is right up my alley. I spoke with Magic City today, the wholesale agent of the DVD, and they told me there was a preview on http://www.youtube.com. After watching it I must say I am impressed and can't wait to get my copy, which should arrive this week. Keep up the good work Byrd and Coates.

Marsh
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
After watching the demo on youtube I wasn't too impressed as most of the effects are on other dvds.
If they were going to do a dvd of golf why didn't they have 18 effects to match the number of holes instead of 16.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2412 Posts

Profile of Chris K
After watching the youtube preview:

I think that the DVD is obviously aimed at those new to the art or those who don't have a lot of experience with sleight of hand.

Ball in mouth
Disappearing ball
$1 to $5
Multiple balls out of the hole

These are all very basic effects. I was actually waiting for a cups and balls routine as well.

I had hoped for more when I initially saw the title of this thread but those are pretty good standby effects. Most experienced performers should be able to do them already, I think, whether they are experienced with cards, coins, silks, etc.

What I had hoped for was some magnetic cane type effects where the club seems to stick to your hand, that has a lot of inherent comedy but takes a bit more performance than I saw in the videos. I think I'll pick up Kenton Knepper's DVD on the topic and let this one slide for now.

Again, just my impressions from watching the video but if anybody actually gets this and want to review it, I would love to be proven wrong!
Anti-intellectualism has been nurtured by the false notion that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."-Isaac Asimov email: chris_mk at hotmail dot com
CoinCon
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CoinCon
I have been a friend of Byrd and Coates for many years. I have helped them a time or two and given them many words of advice throughout the years when they were here in Chicago.

I try to give realistic feedback on their projects from a TV magician point-of-view and a critics ponit-of-view and lastly a friend point-of-view. Listed below is my review of Magic Tricks Fore Golfers.

The DVD is aimed at beginners but there are some pretty clever tricks on the DVD.
In reading the back of the DVD it states very clearly it's for beginners. So those who are expecting knuckle busting tricks, you wont find them on this DVD. But if you love golf, such as I do, you will love the DVD.

The first thing one will notice when watching is the production value. I can say I have never seen a magic instructional DVD filmed like this, which is a good thing for those who love to read things into what people write. It appears they used a movie production company on the performances at the golf course.

Working on TV since the 1960s, I can say it appears Byrd and Coates used a camera crain for really nice swing shots, a helicopter for air footage and multiple cameras for different angles to the tricks. That alone is nice to see and worth getting the DVD.

Now on with the trick review. Byrd and Coates came up with some very clever and simple tricks. But they do go over the basics as well. Any magician knows pretty much how to vanish a golf ball, but the beginner/golfer may not, so several basic vanishes with golf balls and such are featured on the DVD.

Once they teach vanishes, they start going over some original "golf themed" magic tricks such as signed golf ball to club. A very clever routine where a signed golf ball ends up on the end of a club in a ball grabber.

Other tricks include reappearing ball marker to glove, golf ball from glove, multiple golf balls from hole and golf ball through table. All the tricks are very well done and explained in none magic terms for the beginner or none magician.

There are a total of about 16 tricks on the DVD. About 1/2 are things that magicians already know such as a bill change routine, a hot rod routine with golf tees and so on, but the rest are very nice and fun to watch.

My honest opinion is that the DVD is not for magicians who have the "know it all attitude," but it is for the beginner, the golfer and the magician who loves to see magic being used in new ways.

The instructional portion of the DVD is filmed with two cameras and features picture-in-picture, which is very nice and clear.

Byrd and Coates end the DVD with an appearing golf cart illusion, which is very nicely done (don't worry hardcore magicians, they don't show how to do it).

The end result is it's a nice DVD that is fun to watch and that offers even me, a 50 plus year magic veteran, a view on magic that I didn't have before. I give this DVD 4.5 stars out of 5 stars. Very well done guys.

Marsh
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought this used on the Café. I am an avid golfer (80+ rounds a year). I find this video funny and refreshing. Though it may use slieghts I've been using for years, I find the routines and themes very useful.

I recommend this DVD to any avid golfer.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
I usually do one of my best tricks at least once every round.

Step up to the tee, take my swing, and the ball disappears in the woods!

Great trick!

LOL
Bardo
View Profile
New user
England
45 Posts

Profile of Bardo
Magic between holes when playing golf... No wonder there is so much slow play! ;-)
TRI6KED
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
395 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Noticed when he borrowed the $1 bill at the bar and turned it into a $5 bill and used it to pay for the drinks, he took the change from the bartender and never returned the original $1 bill. Therefore conning the bartender out of the borrowed money.
They do not warn you about this and it could get you into trouble if someone spotted your error or if you were that way inclined, it could make you some illegal money!
Can't believe the producers did not see this happen on the DVD. I think they were too busy with the trick to realise that a con had just happened.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » New DVD - Magic Tricks For Golfers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL