The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The impact of a simple trick.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
About two years ago, I was helping a local church with their VBS program. I was helping the pastor with the lesson part and it was on being soldiers for God(I think it was called "Boot Camp"). At the end of each lesson, I would go over a gospel tract and explain to the kids the importance of witnessing to others. One night, I took out a dollar bill and told the kids that sometimes we don't feel like much. We don't think that we're worth much and it seems that we can't do much. Just like the dollar bill. Then I told them that if we all work together, we can be so much more. While I was talking, I did a bill switch for a Million Dollar Bill tract from Way of the Master.

Yesterday, I got an email from a friend who attends that church. She said that one of the kids that was in that VBS came up to her and said that she was still trying to change her million dollar bill back into a dollar...lol

It's just a reminder that sometimes the simple things really do have the most impact...

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
But is that the message you were intending to impart?

It seems to me that the magic far outshone the message particularly if someone is still trying to turn their play money tract back into spendable cash.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2008-01-10 18:09, Payne wrote:
But is that the message you were intending to impart?

It seems to me that the magic far outshone the message particularly if someone is still trying to turn their play money tract back into spendable cash.

And as they say, "That's the rub."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I guess that I made the assumption that she remembers the message as well as the magic. I don't know for sure so it may not be the right thing to think....
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
A few things to consider. First, what age are we talking about (the particular girl and average age of the VBS'ers)? Kids will do that, especially concerning money effects and bill switches. It is very common. You really have no way of knowing if or how seriously the message was received. But it's still cool that she remembers and is thinking about your trick. Who knows how much of the message she remembers with it but the bill itself is loaded with good stuff. This is also is a good reminder of why certain more dangerous type of effects are not recommended for younger age audiences (cuz they might try to duplicate what they see).

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Quote:
GlenD said:
This is also is a good reminder of why certain more dangerous type of effects are not recommended for younger age audiences (cuz they might try to duplicate what they see).

(spitting out razor blades from my mouth)
I gre wit GlnD tht ti
(spitting out one more blade)

Okay, I agree with GlenD. We don't know how seriously the message was received. But what we can do is to ASK the kids what they remembered about the message. Maybe informing the teachers and parents to follow up with the kids about the different messages you taught after you have left.

Or, why not close with a summary of what you taught, or even a quiz time with the kids to be sure they GOT the message?

Joe
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I agree. This was a week long VBS (the girl is about 11) and the bill switch wasn't done on the last night (so they were hearing the same thing again the remaining nights), so I would like to think that they heard the message.

I didn't have the entire lesson, just the last 5-7 minutes with the focus being on introducing the kids to evangelism and not necessarily the message that I gave with the bill switch. I was looking to do something that would cause them to think a little, and then tell their friends about it while showing them the bill...Smile

Mike
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Just because the girl is still trying to change the bill doesn't mean that the message didn't stick. What it means is you did something memorable Mike that this girl and others there will most likely remember the rest of their lives. They may also equate the effect with the good time they had hearing the Good News about Jesus Christ. Isn't that what it's all about.

Tony Brent
Orlando
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Good point Tony...I personally have found that when I didn't think the kids were paying attention throughout the week, they would blow me away with being able to tell what I've been teaching during the week...As I tell folks, I'm just the mail man, I deliver the message I'm suppose to deliver...we have to trust the Holy Spirit will do the rest.

Keep the faith!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2449 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Every time the kid remembers the trick, he'll remember the message (even if it's just a little bit) - multiple teensy impressions can sell a message far more firmly than one solid impression.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Amen to both Tony and Terry...

In this age of "gotta have it now in 10 second sound bytes", it was a shock to hear that she remembered it...Smile

At the time that I did the trick, my purpose was to teach them the importance of reaching out to others as well as showing them that you can do it in ways that people will remember. It is a blessing that she remembers the trick and I hope that she continues to try and change it back into a dollar. Smile

Mike
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
That's one of the great assets showing the power of using Gospel Magic. It's a fabulous teaching tool.

I've gotten our Gospel magic shows into many, many places that would not otherwise have allowed a preacher or pastor to come and speak.

Even though it seems young people might be overly interested in the trick or the stage magic, the Holy Spirit will always use our messages to touch the lives of everyone that hears our words.

We who perform Gospel Magic are literally partnering with God in our art and taking the message out to people who might not otherwise ever take the time to go to church or listen to an evangelist.
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » The impact of a simple trick.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL