We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My friend is going through rough times (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Hey everyone, my friend Mike Stout has been going through some pretty hard times recently. If you don't know him, Mike Stout is a full time magician and a friend of mine who owns Candleworx and Magic, one of only 2 brick and mortar shops in Louisville,Ky, and had a family with a wife and 2 kids. What happened was 2 days after Christmas, his wife unexpectedly died at 44 years of age of what is thought to be an anuerisim. The death really shocked me a lot. I was at a loss for words. And to add to that, I just found out via e-mail that as a result, he has decided to close down Candleworx and Magic at the end of January, leaving only one magic shop in the Louisville area. Now I am at even a greater loss for words, as now I will have no where to go besides the internet for reasonably priced tricks from nice people who won't whip out the sale tactics on you. And I fell very sorry for him and his 2 kids who have to go through this. I will try to go before it closes to help him clear out some of his inventory at 50% off. But in the meantime, I hope you all have any kind words to say to help get me and him through this tragedy.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hi Cody,

If you've noticed there hasn't been much response I strongly suspect its because its just about impossible to think of words to say in such a tragic case. Please don't think it a case of us not caring.

I've started typing 3 posts and quit because I couldn't find the words. 44 is way to young to loose a spouse and I'm sure Mike has all our support and best wishes. You sound like a good friend to Mike and that's a plus in his corner. Continue to be there for him and be strong for him as he'll need it big time.

All my best,

Tim
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I agree with Tim as I don't know much to say except that Mike will definitely need your continued support and friendship. I can't imagine what his children are going through. They are in my thoughts.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
When I first heard about it, I too couldn't think of what to say about it and what to say to him at the fuenral home, so I understand. And 44 was her age. I don't know his age, but it's probably pretty close to that. I have been giving him constant support, just recently going to his magic shop for one last time before it closes and buying a Dave Johnson die box and a pivoting silk cabby along with 2 of the candles that his wife made to sell along with the magic. I know I have been a good friend to him and he has been a good friend to me too. I fortunatly found out that the shop could possibly stay open as a magic shop since there is an interested buyer that wants to keep it as a magic shop. I feel very sorry for him since he has to sell the shop, downsize to an apartment, go back to his real job, and become a single father of his kids, who unfortunatly had to go through this. And thanks to both of you for giving him and his kids your thoughts and prayers.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
541 Posts

Profile of martini
Cody, know that there are a lot of people keeping Mike and the kids in their prayers.
As Tim mentioned above, what exactly can you say at a time like this? but they definately are in our prayers and I'm sure a lot of others as well.
Has anyone started a collection to help Mike out? if so, let us know where to send funds.
Marty
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I think that any help you can extend as a friend will mean more than anything a bunch of strangers could say. I hate to hear about anything like this happening. I really don't know what I'd do in that situation...doubt I could handle that, and I always thought I could handle just about anything. Except that.

Steve
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-14 18:23, Stevethomas wrote:
I really don't know what I'd do in that situation...doubt I could handle that, and I always thought I could handle just about anything. Except that.

Steve

Steve,

With the love and support of friends you'd be surprised just what you can handle. When my father was 28 years old he was at a movie theater and the police came in calling out his name. He met with them in the lobby and they informed him that his 26 year old wife and 4 year old daughter were just killed in a car wreck. His two year old son had a broken leg and his 1 year old son had two broken legs wasn't expected to live.

How can anyone handle that?????? Well.... he did with a lot of help from those around him. BTW.. both boys did survive and ended up being my older brothers. My father eventually found love again and re-married. that's how myself and my other 4 siblings came to be.

Moral of story...... One can survive if one has friends..PERIOD. That was why the only advice I could offer Cody earlier was " Be a friend" . Cody.. make sure to be a friend when its really needed. He'll have lots of support for a while but that will dwindle as others get back to life. that's just how it goes. Real friends are there when it gets old to others.

Best,

Tim
housermagic
View Profile
New user
In the mountains
71 Posts

Profile of housermagic
Cody,
As Tim and others here have stated, "just be a friend". This type of thing is difficult for everyone affected by the loss. Be that friend, as you seem to be doing. Your efforts will NOT go unrewarded.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mike and the family.
Bill
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Thanks for your kind words everybody and if I see him soon, I'll be sure to pass on everyone's words of kindness.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Be a friend, listen and try to help without him asking. Fix a meal, run an errand, etc.

My nieghbor's husband died two weeks ago from an anuerisim. He collapsed and was brought to a hospital where he stayed for two days while the Doc's couldn't do anything to stop it. He left behind two children and a wife. She is still in a state of shock. The kids appear to be doing ok, but she is having a difficult time with it. Hell, I would be too!

All I can say is that just being there helps a tremendous amount. My prayers will be with him and his family.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Thanks for everyones kindness in the situation, since in 2 days will be the 1st month since her passing.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
This topic's been dead for about two years, but I've got an unfortunate and maybe even sadder update. Mike himself had died. He died on the 28th of December, which was a day after the 3rd anniversery of his wifes passing, which is what this topic was originally about. He had a heart attack, which is thought to have been due to grief over his wife. I tried my best to offer my support and after rereading the eariler posts, I think I did a good job. But I hate that it ended this way. Please keep his two kids, family, and fellow Louisville area magicians in your prayers.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
That's very sad.

But perhaps they are together again now?

Prayers for all.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7378 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
How sad. My prayers to the family.

Cody thanks for being a friend when it counted. I know it was appreciated.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Thanks Piers and Richard! I certainly believe that they are indeed together again, in a world much better, and more magical, than ours!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Very sad. He died of a broken heart.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My friend is going through rough times (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL