The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Which trick inspired you to memorize a stack? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
410 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I was inspired to learn a memorized deck simply because I wanted something that I could practice without a deck of cards in my hands. In the car, in the shower, while the boss is lecturing you... all kinds of opportunities to refine your skills.

Plus, I presumed that it would be easier to memorize a deck of cards than to perfect the classic pass or some of the other sleights that I wouldn't dare perform in front of an audience yet. Turns out I was right.

-Al
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
That three part clip of Chan Canasta on Parkinson.
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
For me it was two things...
The first was the Hands off Memory Test. It's just a great trick that can play really big.
The second was a slew of stuff I saw some guy do at the hat the hare pub at the castle. He was great... wish I knew his name. Carries around a violin case, long hair... something like a South African accent. His weighing the cards sort of tipped the memdeck... but everything else blew me away.

great stuff.... anybody know who I am talking about?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Simon Aronson's "Twice as Hard" routine from his "Try the Impossible" book. After reading that effect, I just knew that I had to learn a memorized deck and perform this effect--and other memorized deck effects.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I wanted to do an Osterlind BCS effect, but appeared to be succumbing to an aneurism when I tried to calculate the next card. Memorizing the thing was much easier.
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
Simon Aronson's Everybody's Lazy. And it was well worth it!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 17:29, scody wrote:
For me it was two things...
The first was the Hands off Memory Test. It's just a great trick that can play really big.
The second was a slew of stuff I saw some guy do at the hat the hare pub at the castle. He was great... wish I knew his name. Carries around a violin case, long hair... something like a South African accent. His weighing the cards sort of tipped the memdeck... but everything else blew me away.

great stuff.... anybody know who I am talking about?

Tony Picasso. He's amazing, and, yes, his mem deck work is great.
thepspdope
View Profile
Regular user
With Roughly About
173 Posts

Profile of thepspdope
For me it was Ackermans Opener as well. He really amazed me with that routine.

This led me onto the idea of learning a stack, and I looked at both Aronson and Tamariz Stacks but opted for Simons in the end.

Memorizing a stack changes your card magic arsenal to WoW Level!
- just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
That trick that convinced me to memorize a stack was David Harkey's "OutSmart" from A-HA!. It's a trick whose simplicity is confounding. You bring out a deck of cards, and ask someone the name of their very favorite playing card. You then spell that phrase, and the last card of the spell brings you to the card they named!

This trick, when done right, can play extremely well. David Harkey describes a special "certain something" that helps with the trick, but with a little thought, and plenty of practice, you can make the trick incredibly deceptive by removing that "certain something".
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Control in Chaos!!!!! This is all you need. It set me free!
Drive Carefully
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
426 Posts

Profile of daver
One evening in NYC I was with the Monday Night Magic crowd, and Asi Wind was just going off the wall with effect after effect and when we got to talking, he just said one word to me: Tamariz.

Then I started reading a few ACAANs, and figured it was about time....
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
The first time I ever tried mental effects with the "Eight Kings" stack, I wondered "What if I could do this and the whole deck looked completely innocent?"
I then bypassed Si Stebbins and ended up firmly in Aronson-Land.
(Although Si Stebbins has its place.)
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1421 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
How many of you guys (and gals) really use your stack for an ACAAN effect? My pass is not great, so I hesistate but.... It seems foolish not to take advantage of knowing a stack.

Any thoughts?
panimen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of panimen
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 10:20, Nathan Alexander wrote:
How many of you guys (and gals) really use your stack for an ACAAN effect? My pass is not great, so I hesistate but.... It seems foolish not to take advantage of knowing a stack.

Any thoughts?

It's funny you mention that because I, as well, rarely ever perform ACAAN even though that was my biggest influence in learning a mem deck. I've found that laymen who were fascinated by it were just as easily impressed by a simple divination. And besides, math and patter really don't get along in my head.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 10:20, Nathan Alexander wrote:

Any thoughts?

ACAAN is one of my favorite effects. If you want to see how I use it, look here.

I also use the memorized deck to perform a thought-of card to wallet, the Birthday Book, and a strange and wonderful presentation for Ron Wilson's The Whispering Queen.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1421 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Yea, that sounds like it plays very strongly. My fear of my ability to mess it up is something I'll have to practice and just get over. I know it's worth it.

So here goes. Smile
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
423 Posts

Profile of mimo67
That would be great to see, but alas I can't access to that page, as I'm a new user... But nevertheless I master the Tamariz stack and should be able to see it... Could you give me another link please ? If not I'll wait...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
423 Posts

Profile of mimo67
By the way I personnaly love the Ortiz stuff, like 'The Zen Master', very strong !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I saw a lecture by Aronson...that did it...I now know and use the Tamariz stack.
Frank
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
My inspiration was a 3-phase mind-reading trick by Bill Malone (in Here I Go Again, Vol. 2). After seeing that, I HAD to learn the Aronson stack. Now I use a few routines, with my own variations, from "Bound to Please". My fave is Histed Heisted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Which trick inspired you to memorize a stack? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL