The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Which trick inspired you to memorize a stack? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Being a fan of Tamariz, I had picked up a copy of Mnemonica a number of years ago. It sat on my shelf for a while and I occasionally made efforts to memorize it, never fully committing myself to it (bad form, I must say). Then a friend of mine started to learn the stack - not wanting to be out done (or have him beat me to learning it), I buckled down and learned it, it came much easier that time around. Also, John Born's "Meant to Be."
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Having a stack buddy is the way to go. I did the Aronson stack alone and then it faded from no use. I later did the Tamariz stack with a friend and it is burned in. If you have no friends -- stackview is a resource you will want.
Frank
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
I learned the Aronson stack after seeing Bill Malone perform a 3-phased routine with it.

Spike
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
For me it was a very simple variation of Si Stebben, the 8 Kings stack (for lack of a better term, the stack uses the CHaSd method, starting with 8C, KH, and so on. To make it more effective I found one of those "crooked" decks of cards that are actually crooked in shape, as in a slanted "Z" shape. A simple, easy memorization when you know the whole line, Eight kings threaten to save ninety-five queens for one sick knave. You can't shuffle but you can cut as often as you wish. If you want the stack, PM me. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I cannot remember the name of the sequence, but, I was looking for a REALLY impossible Poker dealing sequence that built on each succeeding stage to a crescendo that made me look like Ortiz!

So, I found it in Try the Impossible. Since then, my magic has been taken to crazy levels Smile

Dennis, I JUST got Guatemalan Miracle two weeks past. It looks like it is a KILLER. Hope to get to it by this winter.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Mary, your story was so very cool. I am sorry of course about the emotional loss you suffered, but, it was the catalyst for you getting into this wild part of card magic. I am glad you did Smile
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Isn't this thread about memorized stacks?

If so, I just wanted to point out that neither the 8 Kings or Si Stebbins setup is actually a memorised stack.

I personally use Tamariz' "Mnemonica" stack, after switching from Aronson.

For anybody interested in mastering a mem deck without the advantage of built-in effects, you might want to check out Martin Joyal's "6 Hour Memorized Deck". Very simple, and will get you on your way fast if you don't need anything stack-specific.

Cheers.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Mr. Warrens, I am curious as to why you switched for Aronson to Tamiriz's stack? Would care to ellaborate.
Magic is a vanishing art.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
I didn't know any memdeck tricks after learning a stack!

I wanted to know the advantages of learning a stack...

I did a search on the café and in less than an hour, I picked an old copy of Mnemonica laying on my dad's "magic room" (we call it that way).

Vlad, I'm thinking about that Guatemalan miracle. Since it has no description, I wanted to ask you if its worth it...

The only effect I bought without a full description was the 5 card opener. And its great.

I do not work with close-up. But I perform it almost everyday for friends and possible clients.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
It was not a trick so much as the idea itself , once I came across it. I have a background in computers , that might explain why I saw the power right away .

Talk about being ahead of your spectator - you are 52 steps ahead:)
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 14:29, edh wrote:
Mr. Warrens, I am curious as to why you switched for Aronson to Tamiriz's stack? Would care to ellaborate.

Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't checked for responses.

To answer your question - I really like some of the built-in effects in the Mnemonica Stack, and the fact that I can get it set-up from new deck order so easily.

Aronson's stack is also wonderful, but the ability to set-up the stack openly (if desired) is priceless for a guy like me who works in the trenches.

Hope that answers your question well enough. Smile

Cheers.
The_Outlaw
View Profile
New user
Texas
45 Posts

Profile of The_Outlaw
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 05:06, Cain wrote:
I suspect most people decided to adopt a stack because they saw a trick (or tricks) they just had to perform. (I suppose a slim minority of others found it attractive for entirely different reasons.) For me it was definitely Ackerman's Opener. This routine clearly affected my thinking because it made me want to incorporate a true full deck blockbuster trick into the stack I would choose. Ackerman uses tetradistic stack, which is two faros away from grouping together each and every four of a kind in the pack. Needless to say, his routining excellent.

I am still a beginner - moderate level card manipulator.
With that said,
I recently adopted my first stack, The '*i S******* ****k' so that I could perform 'U* the ***e'.
I dig it man. Smile
Oh yeah?! Well...That's like...just your 'opinion' man.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Ok, just so we're clear: Si Stebbins is NOT a memorized stack. Neither is the 8 Kings.

A memorized stack means that you know every card at every position and vice-versa.

For example: 18 = 3 of Clubs, 10 of Diamonds = 41 etc.

Not to sound like a grump (I'm not!) I just strongly dislike when things are inappropriately labeled, especially when living in the "dis-information" age. Smile

Cheers.
The_Outlaw
View Profile
New user
Texas
45 Posts

Profile of The_Outlaw
Quote:
On 2010-08-13 18:26, J.Warrens wrote:
Ok, just so we're clear: Si Stebbins is NOT a memorized stack. Neither is the 8 Kings.

A memorized stack means that you know every card at every position and vice-versa.

For example: 18 = 3 of Clubs, 10 of Diamonds = 41 etc.

Not to sound like a grump (I'm not!) I just strongly dislike when things are inappropriately labeled, especially when living in the "dis-information" age. Smile

Cheers.

:-(
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Outlaw - that last post placed wasn't aimed at you - several others also have the same misconception.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.
The_Outlaw
View Profile
New user
Texas
45 Posts

Profile of The_Outlaw
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 03:24, J.Warrens wrote:
Outlaw - that last post placed wasn't aimed at you - several others also have the same misconception.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

:)
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
ACAAN- I was obsessed with the effect for a while and I just had to learn a memorized deck!
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
For me it was after a friend of mine fried me with Steve Ehlers' "Three Card Location."

It's still the most amazing effect I've ever seen with a memorized deck. Even if that was the only effect I did with my memorized deck it would have been worth it.
magicbenyoung
View Profile
New user
Maryville, Tennessee
36 Posts

Profile of magicbenyoung
I saw John B. Born perform and lecture on Any Card At Any Number. I was hooked. I'm still obsessed with the effect, actually.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-01-11 05:06, Cain wrote:
I suspect most people decided to adopt a stack because they saw a trick (or tricks) they just had to perform. (I suppose a slim minority of others found it attractive for entirely different reasons.) For me it was definitely Ackerman's Opener. This routine clearly affected my thinking because it made me want to incorporate a true full deck blockbuster trick into the stack I would choose. Ackerman uses tetradistic stack, which is two faros away from grouping together each and every four of a kind in the pack. Needless to say, his routining excellent.

I never forget the first time I saw Michael Close work miracles with a mem stack. I still have that DVD to this day, and it was the beginning of a great journey for me.
Spectator's just can not grasp that you would actually take the time to memorize an entire deck!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Which trick inspired you to memorize a stack? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL