The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The minds eye (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
“The mind does not create what it perceives, any more than the eye creates the rose.”

Author: Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is that true?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If something can be conceived, it obviously exists in some manner, even if only in the mind. If something has never been conceived, but that potential exists, doesn't that something also exist?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The map is not the terrain.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Tempted to say, "I like turtles.", instead decided to actually think about what Mr. Emerson wrote and Tommy's question.

Upon first read there was disagreement with Emerson. I ran down the same road as Michael if I understand him. That the mind comes up with all kinds of *#&@! that seems real and if it seems real isn't that good enough? Then there came realization of the difference between perception and conception. Perception, I concluded, was the brain receiving stimulus and dealing with it. While this stimulus can be altered by the brain or some pathway to the brain, the origin is from the outside. In conception lays the wonder world of imagination. Where perception is sliced and diced if need be and, "That really did look like he floated 6 feet off the ground & produced a unicycle, rode it in a circle while shuffling cards with his feet. Then people yelled out cards while he shuffled and those very cards would float down as soon as named."

Having no knowledge or context of Emerson's statement I can only go with my gut. The gut is in agreement. Then again maybe I should have just gone with the turtle thing.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tommy
That Emerson quote can be explained by "It happens in the spectators mind", which has been explained, and rexplained here for over 12 pages.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If I understand Jerrine's understanding of what I said, then I was misunderstood. I am in agreement with Emerson's statement, assuming I understand it.

The mind perceives, but does not conceive. It is simply a receptor and a processor. Just because something has never been perceived does not mean that it has not been conceived (created).

I like turtles, too. But my perception of those words may differ from his. Perception withstanding, the concept that lead to either (or any) interpretation already existed.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Thank you Michael for your correct assessment of my understanding. I now both understand your position and agree with it yet disagree entirely with your perception of the mind. The mind both perceives and conceives and is far far more than a receptor and processor. I would never use the word simply when referring to what the mind does. The mind does not create? Perhaps I am way off base and need to stick to turtles.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The minds eye sees what it thinks is there, that's why we call it the minds eye.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"Simply" was surely the wrong adverb. I yield. However, I still believe that anything the mind "creates" is after-market produce, an amalgam of that which already exists. The mind's "creation" is a result of process, not original conception. But, that's just my opinion. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
O.K. Had to be input first. I get it.

I wholeheartedly disagree, but I get it. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Which goes to show there is more than point of view of the same rose.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Everything we hear is an opinion; not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective; not the truth."
- Marcus Aurelius
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Turtles... all the way down.....
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 10:43, mandarin wrote:
Turtles... all the way down.....

Interesting comment from an interesting book. I wonder how many have read it and how many will go looking to read it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
My greatest mistakes are my favorite achievements. Three cheers for everything I've misinterpreted or left alone! Smile
POOF!
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just to be difficult, let's look at it from the opposite (?) point of view--Huxley's view was that the mind's job was to filter out the infinite quantity of data that bombards our sense organs every second.

In this view, the effects of hallucingenic drugs occur because the brain's defenses have been ameliorated by the drugs, giving the perceiver access to more external data than s/he is normally used to.

We get to experience more of the elephant.

Jack Shalom
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
More Pink elephants.

Tommy
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
All that you know, you receive through your 5 senses. You brain has to translate that all of that information into perception. The brain has the infinite ability to change that information in any way it sees fit. As such, your reality is what you perceive it to be. Were this not true, there would be no crazy people. Everyone would perceive everything in exactly the same way, but the fact is we don't.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
So does that mean if every one perceives a rose as an elephant, except you, who perceives it as a rose, your crazy?

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The minds eye (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL