The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Does anyone use one of those trifold mirrors while practicing card tricks and close-up tricks? What is your opinion? I've been thinking about getting one. Where do they sell them and about how much can I expect to pay for one? I saw one on Ebay a little while back and kick myself for not bidding on it.
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I know that The Magic Smith sells a tri-fold unbreakable close-up mirror for $45.00.

Steve
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Thanks Steve. Do you use one of these mirrors? How useful is it. I've never practiced in front of a mirror and I'm wondering just how practical it is.
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I don't have one of these mirrors, but I am considering it. There are other cheaper alternatives, but this product may be the simplest way to go right now.
I do find it helpful to do some practice in front of a mirror (the bathroom mirror). But the tri-fold one would be much more helpful, especially with the side angles.
I think you might be interested in reading some comments made by Darwin Ortiz in a recent guest appearance on The Magic Café.
He shared his thoughts on how to use a mirror in practice. You will find this thread in the Chef Special section of the Café, under the topic title "False Deals".

Steve
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Thanks again Steve!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You can spend $45 or more on a tri-fold mirror.
Or you can get three 12-inch squares of mirror tile and some duct tape for a whopping lot less and make your own.
After all, a mirror is a mirror!
I've used a trifold mirror for years and can highly recommend it (assuming you don't want the expense of a camcorder).
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I like it! Thanks Peter. I believe I'll check out the tiles.

Steve
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
I had some friends make me one years ago for giving them lessons. They surprised me with it. It's tri-fold mirrors glued to 1-foot square pieces of wood on hinges. It was very helpful performing to the mirror. One, it takes your eyes directly off your hands. Two, you get to see your hands as the spectator's would from 3 vantage points. Three, in the beginning your hands go through the moves while at the same time you focus on watching yourself perform. The hands act without thinking about what they are doing.

It can be a very useful!

Jim Molinari
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Well, to tell you the truth, the best is the camcorder. It's a must for all performers and is a essential tool for all magicians.

Best Regrads,
Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Yes, a camcorder is good, but unless you are a production studio, you do not see what the spectators see from different vantage points at the same time. Also, when I used to practice in front of a camera, I would drive myself nuts. Misdirection does not exist. You cannot fool the eye of the camera. Make the camera look here while you do something over there. I'm not saying don't use one. Everything has it's place and use.

Having someone to show the final product to is the best before you take it to an audience. You can now blend effect, patter, misdirection and get it by that certain someone who knows you, then your audience will be a piece of cake!

Jim Molinari
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I own both a camcorder and a mirror set-up. I find that I use the mirror more often simply because it's easy and quick to set-up and does provide a view of several different angles.
William Holcomb
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
Quote:
On 2003-03-03 10:46, jcards01 wrote:
....Everything has it's place and use.....

Jim Molinari

So it would be much more productive to balance out these practice tools. Using all of them, but knowing when and how to use a mirror, video camera and a live spectator.

Steve
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Exactamundo! First the mirrors to educate your hands and see what the effect looks like. Second with the camcorder, to see what the overall effect looks like and to hear what you are saying. Third with a compatriot, to see if the misdirection works and if you get the WOW finish.

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Thanks for all the feedback. I like the idea of using the tiles and ductape. Actually I'll probably just get some plywood out of the garage and put the hinges on and attach the tiles. The video camera idea is a good one too. I use my camera to tape my golf swing and then analyze it. I'll hook the camera up to a big screen TV and it should be pretty cool to watch as I perform some tricks.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mugician,

IMHO small mirrors are gonna get you in trouble and fast.

If you can, put some BIG mirrors on the wall so you can see yourself practicing. At some point you will be well served with a webcamera or full digital video camera. Turning yourself to see your reflection is most limiting. The mirror can help you catch your angles on moves. After that function, it cripples your sense of what others will be watching and seeing. Time to set up a camera and record a routine.

regards,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
These web cameras I keep hearing about magicians using as a video camera for their magic practice. Are these the type cameras I see sitting on top of some people's PC monitors?
I saw some at a store the other day for about 35 bucks, but wanted to make sure this was what is being refered to before buying one.

Steve
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I used to use the trifold mirrors, but I found that due to their construction I tended to hold my hands in one position, because if they ever moved I couldn't see what was going on. They also gave me a very limited field of view. They were great 30 years ago before alternatives came around. I now have a wall mirror in my office where I can practice my stand-up or close up routines. It suits 90% of my needs right now. I just turn 45 degrees or so and perform again.

The other 10% is covered by a camcorder that tapes my entire body so I can make sure my body language is consistent. I haven't used the trifold mirrors in 10 years.

Just my two cents.

Steven
Coram Deo
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I used the tri-fold mirrors to practice all my card moves. I find it extremely helpful in tricks and palming where angles are critical. If you are working with lapping and will have people on both sides of you the trifold mirrors are a god send for working out the angles.

Devin

I got my From Hank Lee a few years ago. As far as I know Hank still sells them.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
You should use a mirror during practice very, VERY sparingly. The reason is that YOU the performer must become aware of the angles both good and bad in a way that allows you to take advantage of them naturally. Mirror practice is good ONLY for checking your basic technique and status during the practice and perfection cycle.

You work on a sleight. You need to check some small detail. Use the mirror briefly and then go back to practice without it. In the end, Mirror Angles are NOT People Angles. The mirror doesn't move. To make mirror practice truly workable you would need maybe 12-15 of them set at differing heights and angles in a 3/4 arc before you. Now, you are talking helpful. BUT, it is probably better in the end to become naturally aware of where spectators are and what they are seeing. This takes perfecting your technique so that you can forget it and extend your awareness of the performing situation out to the spectators.

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
I use a mirror only when I first learn a move. Then I work on the routine in front of a friend and ask if I flashed anything.

Mirrors are good, but the video camera is even better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Close up mirror (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL