The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Winter carnival of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1599 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Did anyone actually see that act before they booked it?
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1599 Posts

John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
[quote]On 2008-03-10 11:41, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Quote:
I was really surprised by the outcome. I really thought that Lance Johnson would place. His routine was solid, entertaining, and jaw dropping impossible - maybe too impossible. A volunteer came onstage, selected a card and signed it. The card was returned to the center of the deck, and with no pass, palm or another sleight of hand, it was handed to the spectator to hold. Then the volunteer selected one of 10 sealed drinking straws. One end was unwrapped and placed in his mouth. After some very funny comedy byplay with a bullwhip Lance declared that the trick was already done and split open the straw to reveal a rolled up card. When unrolled at the fingertips with no switch, it was indeed the signed selection! All weekend magicians were asking how in the world he could have done it. It was fabulous.

Equally fabulous was Christian & Katalina's second sight act. Smooth as glass. So well rehearsed it was scary. Rumor has it that they were disqualified because they were full time working pros. Better squash that rumor guys.

I'll address both of these.

Firstly, I was pulling for Lance, however, I don't think that many people were fooled into thinking that it was "too impossible". I verified the method with Lance immediately after the contest. I also asked what people thought of the act at the VIP party, and everyone there had the solution. It is a principle that has been used before. Also, your description is not totally accurate - you know what part I am referring to - so that is misleading to the folks that didn't see the act.

Secondly, Were Christian & Katalina disqualified? Since I am not privy to that information, I don't know that they were. Maybe they were, I just don't know. I did hear a comment that their act wasn't close-up, for what that is worth. I personally enjoyed it, and thought it was worthy of first place, but then again, that is just my opinion. To each his own...

Highlights of the convention can be seen at http://www.ibmring58.com/wcm

Day 10
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1599 Posts

Scott,

Accurate from a lay audience's perspective.

I'm just surprised is all I'm sayin'... Had I been a judge, 1st would have gone to Christian & Katalina with 2nd going to Lance. I was asked to judge, but I declined since Lance is my boy.
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Excaliber
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Excaliber
Scott
you the man . I know your were working hard at the convention , sorry we could not hang out more . Hats off to all your hard work and the others at ring 58 WELL DONE. with that said I am really jeolus of you becuase you got to assist and hang out 1 on 1 with Fielding West ( you DOG ) was that fun or what!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1599 Posts

Yo, Teen Wolf!

Felding - I re-introduced myself to Felding (we met at the Battle last year) and he said "I loved you! I love that act. You do a great job!" Scott was there. Yeah, I'm gonna use it.

Oh, and the highlight of the convention was giving Harry Anderson a copy of Theatrical Magic and him asking me to sign it for him! How cool was that? Too cool for even the cool one. It was really hard for me not to act like a little girl in front of my idol!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 14:09, Big Daddy Cool wrote:

They were recommended by a reliable source who had seen them at another convention. I had seen some of their videos online but that was all. I agree with your blog 100%. (Thanks for posting it over there by the way - classy move buddy, and I thank you for that)I don't know if it was just an off night or what, but they just didn't seem to smooth - not a lot of flow. I didn't see the end of their act, but I heard that their vanish was good. The switch on the prediction was blatant. I don't know why they would attempt the switch after focusing so much attention on the actions of climbing up onto the chair. Gladly it was for an audience of mostly magicians and not all laypersons. I would hope that this was just a bad performance. They could really use your help BDC.

Close Up - I agree with BDC on the placement. I have seen Lance's act before and I have never seen him perform it better! Still one of my favorites, but Christian and Katalina's act WAS strong.

Fielding - many of you know the relationship that I have with Johnny & Pam Thompson - my son stayed with them for a week - and Fielding is one of Johnny's best friends, so I was under strict orders from them to take good care of him while he was in town. Yes it was awesome. We are beginning to become a desirable book for performers. Word is traveling around that the WCM and Ring 58 are the best hosts! This program is proving to be very successful for everyone. We get to make some great friendships and help out the performers at the same time.

Day 10

mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
What a weekend! It was my first time out to Winter Carnival and it was a blast. I got to see old friends and family,and make some new friends.(You know who you are.) I hope to see all of you again soon. As far as my opinions on the convention I thought Scott and the rest of the commitee deserve a standing ovation. I had seen all of the acts before except David Williammson, who was probably the high lite of my weekend, besides Charlie and Sherry and vanishing ping pong balls,hahah! Anyone who missed David has got to see him whereever he is at next. All of the shows and contests were incredible.

The Saturday show rocked with Feilding hitting all his jokes on cue, David making my sides hurt, Mirror Images using the oldest trick in the book- black a$@, and Charlie Frye and Co. bringing down the house. It was my first time seeing Terry Evanswood and he was outstanding, what a great show and guy.

The contest were judged well and congrats to the winners. It was a tough stage competition and I had fun doing it. I had a lot of good responces and really glad people enjoyed it. Hope to see you all again soon. If you are debating about going next year, just get up, and GO!!!!

Magically,

Matt McCoy
http://www.mattmccoymagic.com
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
I just read Big Daddy's blog and I agree totally. I also think it was great that you offered to help the Mirror Images. Too often we criticize without offering help. I too reviewed the convention on my blog, http://aceofspadesmagic.blogspot.com/ . What a great weekend. I cannot wait till next year.
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
I over heard what Obie had to say to you BDC, I can also say even though he seemed ok with you ... don't let down your guard if he sees what you wrote about Ms. Shelley then you might not have an audience with him again.

Seen yall soon!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1599 Posts

I liked Allie's act, and I'm glad she won. It is very good, I just think she was not comfortable enough with the sleight of hand. Not enough to win first. That's my opinion. And Obie and Steve Beam took active steps to help her clean it up. I can't wait to see it again.
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
So can someone give more detail about the paintball act?
Mike
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
PM'd you Mike

Day 11

KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 04:18, magicelam wrote:
So can someone give more detail about the paintball act?

Oh good lord...they might has well just thrown the switch-out prediction on the floor from the wing of the stage and let the guy just switch it there in plain view while pretending to tie his shoe...That was such a let down....I have NEVER seen it take so long for somebody to get down off of a chair...(except for Dick Kohlefler's assitant in his Kohl and Company act)
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
xjstat
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
10 Posts

Profile of xjstat
Congrats to everyone at Winter Carnival, great convention, great atomosphere, great time. I think Matt said it all, coming from our group!

JV
DLarkins
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
59 Posts

Profile of DLarkins
I kept thinking that the Mirror Images might have felt more comfortable in the stage competition than in the gala show. (They wouldn't have won the stage competition, but they would have looked more like they belonged there.)

I disagree with Mr. Pyka's assessment of Allie. I think her act was definitely worthy of first place. Perhaps her sleight of hand could use a touch more work, but the routine wasn't really about that anyway - it was really a mentalism piece, and it was a darn fine one. As for showmanship, Allie's was first class (pun intended). I'm puzzled about how BDC could think that she needed work on her performance skills?? Plus I'll have to say that her originality and sheer entertainment value really made that routine shine. There were others acts that were really great as well, including Lance Johnson's. But saying "Accurate from a lay audience's perspective." is extremely disingenuous when we're talking about an audience of magicians. From a lay audience's perspective, everything we do should look like REAL magic!
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Excaliber
Thanks for the comments DLarkins . I am glad you enjoyed it.
I must say a really liked Allies routine as well , she deserved the honors, I had a chance to speak with her and her mom after the show. She was really nice and had a lot of great ideas , I am sure she will go far . I am glad I had a chance to get to know her.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
For those of you who didn't hear, Fielding West broke his big toe on his right foot on Saturday afternoon. He was leaving the store when he slipped on some snow and snapped his toe. He didn't want anyone to know until the show was over, but I was backstage with him and let me tell you, he was in pain. He was afraid to take his shoe off for the fear that he wouldn't be able to get it back on. The swelling was terrible. But when he stepped out onto that stage, he sucked it up and did the show. You would have never known. When he did the appearing tiger, he re injured it. He was in such bad pain that he stayed in his room after the show and missed the VIP party. It was a lesson from a great performer - "the show must go on, no matter what".

What a great performer.

Day 11

Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1599 Posts

DLarkins, I am being very nit-picky. If you need an example, Christian & Katalina had the showmanship and polish I am talking about. So did Lance, except for a drop that I've gotten all over him about.
Allie's script was outstanding. The premise was outstanding. The magic was outstanding. The delivery of the script was a little stilted, and she fumbled with much of the sleight of hand. There is just a little more work that needs to be done.
For that matter, I wasn't happy with my contest performance. The technique was flawless, the magic strong, but I fumbled the word "assume" and then I missed a music cue in Mack The Knife that put me way behind, and in a need to improvise a little. Plus, my hat was jacked up and I didn't notice it in the mirror before I went out. Not my best night (morning), lacking the polish I would normally have had, and not a performance deserving a win. I would expect others to feel the same and say it.
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
DLarkins
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
59 Posts

Profile of DLarkins
BDC,

You are exactly right about Christian and Katalina - a wonderful act for sure.

My comments were not directed at your performance, but since you brought it up... This was the first time that I had seen you perform. And let me say to start, that the lighting that you had did not flatter your act. It revealed your dancing cane, and the multiplying cigars were all but invisible from where I sat, which was about 10 rows back. The only other effect you did (if I recall correctly) was a T&R newspaper, and it was fine. You looked comfortable and not nervous on stage, which is a plus. The technical execution of those three effects was good, but I don't know if I would go so far as to call the magic "strong". That lighting hurt you worse than the things you mentioned... Just my opinion.
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL