We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Master of Illusions on the DS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
773 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
OK, I saw this game over the Christmas holiday and decided to ignore it. But every time I walk into Wal-Mart they're sold out! Does anyone have this game or know how it works? I hear it's a game that teaches you magic tricks and illusions.
J Rodriguez
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
369 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I decided to buy it and I'm surprised by the possibilities. I've only unlocked about 6 or 7 tricks now and I must say I love playing with it. Wouldn't use it in a real performance, but I'm planning to show a few tricks with this at the next meeting of my magic club.
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Kune
It's quite a nice game, although I'd recommend it more for someone who has an interest in doing some tricks for their friends, but doesn't want to learn a DL.
Someone who does magic professionally could still get a lot of fun out of it though.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Dan Garrett showed it to me after his lecture. He was quite big on the possibilities.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
I showed this to some of the magicians at FFFF last year, and within hours the local WalMart was completely sold out of DS's AND the software! Mark Mitton first showed it to me. It's good stuff, but in the hands of a competent magician, it transcends kids stuff and reaches miracle class effects, even suitable for a professional repertoire. (This is something one does not see when reading the reviews, etc. I think this has been pulled off the shelves or given limited display space due to a failed LARGE initial marketing campaign. Kids just didn't have the patience for learning the tricks, some of which are fairly complicated.)

One of the best effects, IMHO, is the Blank Card trick. It's one of the last ones you can 'unlock.' It is also the only trick that does not require the DS to work. Once 2 magicians learn this principle, they can perform 2-person mental miracles with a freely selected card and simply drawing a blank rectangle on a piece of paper!

Here's a tip: If you want to unlock more tricks quickly, simply change the internal calendar of the DS a couple of days ahead, then you can go back into the software, and voila!, unlock the next set of tricks.

The sofware is by Tenyo and Nintendo, who have historically shared a business relationship for many years. The software contains no manual, and you really don't need it. You are taught by the machine through the natural progression of the game. There are practice routines to hone your skills. There are many tricks there that you can also perform on yourself, and some of these are much better than the generic Max Maven-style TV screen tricks... (not to take anything away from Max's creative efforts in this arena). One of these still fools me. I'm serious.

What no one has mentioned is that the software also comes complete with a VERY GOOD gaffed deck of playing cards (that can be examined). This is much too good to be in the hands of the public. In a way, magicians should be grateful for the poor sales to the public on this item. Or the difficulty factor which will cause many kids to 'give up' after unlocking only a few of the basic tricks...
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
BTW, if you can't find Masters of Illusion in the stores, you can always order it over the internet.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
It's a fun game and I use the blank card one as a 'mind reading DS' for my annual Nintendo Magic gig.
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
I bought the game a few months back as well as an "App" version on the 3ds- it works very well. The "Funny Face" trick, "Blank Card" trick and the "Transforming Girl" bit (I would consider it more like a kid effect than an actual trick) to be three of the more effective tricks.
I only wish the menu screen was more classy than... Dominatrix Bat Furry thing.

Altogether, it's a great tool. The tricks are good, the music is nice-sounding, it looks pretty cool (apart for the main menu)- It's also packaged with a very cleverly marked deck that is pretty deceptive if you don't know what you're looking for.
Final assessment: if you see it, buy it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Master of Illusions on the DS (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL