The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Genii Forum rule change - non-subscribers lose right to post but allowed to lurk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
The following was posted on the Genii forum January 13, 2008...

Quote:
I have come to an important decision today, after many months of deliberation.

Beginning next week, only subscribers to Genii, The Conjurors' Magazine, will be allowed to post on the Forum. Non-subscribers will continue to be able to lurk, but they will no longer be able to post.

We will continue to allow people to post under pseudonyms, however everyone's real name will have to be known to me (and held in the strictest confidence). This is so I will be able to check your name against the list of subscribers in our database.

The only way to do this is to wipe the current registration records clean. This means that all those who wish to post on the Forum, and are subscribers to Genii, will have to re-register. We are going to make this change in the coming week.

Unfortunately this also means that people who purchase Genii at magic shops won't be able to register. We have no reliable way to ensure that they purchase the magazine every month.

I do appreciate the efforts and contributions everyone has made to the Genii Forum over the past seven years, and I hope that all of you who are subscribers will remain with us as we enter this new era.

Thank you.
Richard Kaufman

It will be interesting to see how the Genii forum changes in the next few months. I for one, wish Richard good luck with his decision - it will be interesting to see if the forum's content improves due to the change. Time will tell.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Years ago when the EG went from free to a subscription service the number of posts plummeted overnight but the overall quality of the postings increased exponentially and were made all the better from the decrease in the background noise.

Since I already subscribe to GENII the changeover won't effect me at all.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I wish the Café charged a fee and you had to supply your real name, etc. That would end the annoymous jokers throwing rocks from the shadows.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
Subscribe to Geni to use the forums, not me.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
No John, subscribe to Genii AND use the forums.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 21:11, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I wish the Café charged a fee and you had to supply your real name, etc. That would end the annoymous jokers throwing rocks from the shadows.

I do agree on the use of real names. It adds a level of accountability.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
What's to keep you from registering using a fake name?
Magic is a vanishing art.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 19:28, edh wrote:
What's to keep you from registering using a fake name?

Richard still requires your real name to register even with a screen name. Read his list.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I too, feel that the quality will become better with Kaufman's decision. In fact, it is already starting to show.

Best,
Charles
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I buy Genii from Misdirections Magic Shop- less that 3 miles away from my house! Bummer about that as I liked looking at the forums too...

ah well...

cheers,
G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
I never really used the Genii Forums. This forum and moderating another is enough for me at present. I don't want to spread myself too thin.

Since I already subscribe to Genii, I may check it out though.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gaddy,

I think Richard will allow you to register anyway because you buy your copies at a dealer with counter sales of Genii.

Give him a shot at it! You may be surprised. I think he has experienced a learning curve by now. By denying the counter sales people to register he will be in direct competition with the magic dealers selling his magazine. They are also the advertisers! They may drop their ads. Dropping the ads is too high a price for Genii to pay. The ads are also a reason for reading the magazine. Thus, he could lose subscribers anyway. The effects of economics often improves decisions.

My bet is you're going to be allowed to register. However, it also destroys the integrity of the "grand plan". A basic rule of predicting decisions is "Follow the money".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4715 Posts

Profile of landmark
Seems to me this is going to cost RK money. Participation in the forum leads to more knowledge of the magazine and thus eventually more subscriptions. Limiting the forum to subscribers is going to eventually limit the number of people tied to the Genii brand. My prediction is that it will make the quality of the forum higher, but he'll get many fewer page views and new subscribers.

In any event I wish him the best.

Jack Shalom
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jack,

I think that is a very sober approach. It is a free enterprise system. Richard Kaufman has the right to his decisions about Genii magazine and forum.

I also wish him the best.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2391 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Anyone who purchases Genii monthly at a magic shop, and wishes to register on the Forum, has only to ask the owner of the magic shop to either call or e-mail me and give the person's name and e-mail address, then that person can register.

Very simple.

It's not just for subscribers, but for ALL readers of Genii.

Anyone, Genii reader or not, is free to lurk.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2113 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
That's good to hear that monthly purchasers can get in on the action. I'm not a subscriber, but do buy every month from my local shop.

This forum and others take up most of my Internet forum time, so I don't really spend much, if any time over at Genii, but I may have to swing by and check it out.
Kevin Reylek
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 23:23, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Anyone, Genii reader or not, is free to lurk.
How does an old member, and non-subscriber, gain access to the Forum to lurk? My old name and password will not work anymore.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5358 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Randwill,
Lurking simply means that you can visit the site, browse the topics and read the various posts. You do not log in and you cannot post replies.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
What it means for me is: I think I may have to start spending more time there, rather than here. real names equal better discussions in my book.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Aha!! I was wondering why I couldn't log in. Well, I'm a subscriber and even an occasional advertiser, so I hopefully I will be able to get back in soon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Genii Forum rule change - non-subscribers lose right to post but allowed to lurk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL