We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » David Blaine Copyright (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Copperfieldian
Does anyone know if David Blaine has a copyright that can prevent others from performing his stunts?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Copyright protects theatrical scripts, and particular presentations, as recorded in a manuscript, or video. Stunts are not protected.

Patents might protect his equipment.

Which one do you feel you can copy? And why on earth would you want to? To some of us, he's boring.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Well, there’s copyright issues, but then there’s ethics issues.

Since they were done on TV, I’d think the producing network
would have a problem with you replicating Blane’s stuff,
and they have huge legal departments, so I’d not test it.

Then, it would be unethical to reproduce what another has done as well.

Last, he’s now known for HIS work,
why would you want to also be known for the same work,
why not become known for YOUR original work.

Magically,
Walt
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I think Copperfieldian is getting the message. I posted about the same thing in response to this inquiry in another area of the Café.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Walt,
When have ethics mattered to most magicians?

Todd
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Well, since I got told off at 13 years old
by Jay Marshall for "borrowing" a line of his...
and more recently since I've told off (adult!) magicians
for taking unpublished routines of mine word-for-word,
and doing them badly.
But, why would you ask <grin>?

Magically,
Walt
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
470 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Quote:
Does anyone know if David Blaine has a copyright that can prevent others from performing his stunts?

"History is a gallery of pictures in which there are few originals but many copies."

There is nothing wrong by being inspired by someone or something but merely to copy shows a dim intelect and is the path to mediocrity.

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
"Ladies and gentlemen, please watch closely as I perform an effect created by another magician, and by doing so MAKE MY ETHICS VANISH RIGHT BEFORE YOUR EYES!!" Now there's a magic act! Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Illusion or reality? Can you tell the difference?

www.bladewalker.com
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 15:42, Todd Robbins wrote:
I think Copperfieldian is getting the message. I posted about the same thing in response to this inquiry in another area of the Café.

I think that a name change would indicate an understanding of the message.

Of course, I mean MY name.

Christopher Robbins
Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

WOW! What an uproar!

Let's imagine (I'm not really going to do this - just an example) I decided to perform Blaine's Drowned Alive Stunt. Instead of staying underwater for 7 days and failing to break a world record for holding my breath... I train myself to stay underwater for 9 days and at the end actually break the world record.

Now...

What will the public say? "A new star is born! A man who beat David Blain at his own game! Let's see what else he can do..."

What will the magicians say? Some might say "You did a horrible thing! You have no respect for the ethics of the art!"
Some others might say “Well done! You're working to make your dreams come true and you have every right to do whatever you think is right."

What will I gain? I will gain instant publicity... Talent agencies will be more interested in me... it opens more doors with opportunities... it will take me a step closer to my ambitions...

----

Let's say I decided to respect the ethics that every magician is already breaking including, Criss Angel, David Copperfield, Lance Burton and many others. Because of what other magicians might think about me, I decided not to do the DB stunt.

Now...

What will the public say? Nothing.

What will the magicians say? Nothing.

What will I gain? Nothing.

----------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong. I do think that ethics in this art are important and should be respected, but if I had to choose between what other magicians will think of me or living my dreams - I'd choose the latter.

Thank you for your understanding,

David
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
But I don't understand!

You suggest that "every magician" is unethical. I beg to differ. Some are; the better ones are not.

What will the public say? They will probably ignore you. What will you gain? Nothing.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 18:40, Copperfieldian wrote:
"but if I had to choose between what other magicians will think of me or living my dreams - I'd choose the latter."

David

But, at what cost?

Ethical decisions are something "you" have to live with regardless of what others think.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
As stated earlier, there are a lot things that have not been done. And there are a lot of attention gathering stunts of old that no one is doing today. Most of what has worked for David Blaine have been variations of forgotten stunts from the past. David has a good sense of history and has profited from reviving and reinventing these feats.

All it takes is a bit of hard work and creativity.

I may be wrong but if all that can be mustered in the way of creativity is to try to out do what has already been done, then it is doubtful this will excite the imagination and interest of the public.

The press is not really interested in someone rehashing someone else's success, and without the approval of the media, it doubtful that any sort of a 'dream' will be achieved.

All the major names in magic have built their careers on being something new and different. Even the much maligned Criss Angel has been able to sell to the public something they hadn't had before.

So anyone can try to go one better than Blaine, but I feel this falls under the heading of working hard on a bad idea.

Their is often a fine line between dreams and delusions.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Lol I'm so sick of people telling me that I'm scary just like C>A...

I fight so hard to not be a copy of anyone so that they will know Me, not the "hey you know that magician, the one that is like C.A.?"
trying to be someone else leaves a bad taste in the audiences mouth my friend.
When they say " yeah that's cool, but D.B. did it better." you will regret the carbon copy.

Be creative in your own right.
are you just like David in everything you do?

if not then do not be like him in anyways.
Be Your self and the performance will be natural not forced or rehashed.

just my thoughts.

Michael
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
None of Mr. Blaine's stunts are original to him. Countless people have been buried alive, encased in ice and sat upon poles for extended periods of time. David Blaine just happens to be the more recent practitioner of these classic stunts.
So if you want to do any of these things go ahead, knock yourself out. No one here can say anything that's going to stop you anyway as it seems you've already set your mind to it.
Just remember that Houdini was plagued by copycats and pretenders all of whom replicated his work. Can you name one of them? No, they are all lost to the dustbin of history. Forgotten for the unoriginal hacks they were.
I'm sure if you sat in a bowl of water for a week and then held your breath for nine minutes you'd get a bit of publicity. A nice article below the fold in the back of a newspaper somewhere. You're certainly not going to get an hour long nation wide telecast of your stunt someone else has already done. Especially if it's being performed by someone they've never heard of. This isn't wrestling. You simply don't get handed the title of "The next big thing" simply because you succeded at a stunt that someone else failed at.
You want to be the next David Blaine? then work fo it by developing your own unique and origianl material. No one ever got to the top by doing someone elses stuff
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Dear magic friends,

There is a famous marketing term that lately has been very evident in the art of magic.

It says...

"It doesn't matter if you're the best - It matters if you're the first. But if you're not the first, then outdo the first and be the best."

Remember Blaine's first special? Within a week I can teach anyone to do all the tricks that Blaine did on that special. But if it wasn't his tricks... then why was he so successful? - Because he was the first to bring street magic on TV.

Now fast forward a couple of years... another magician with long black hair and Goth black nails uses David Blaine's "Street Magic" style and yet gets more attention than Blaine. Why? Because he outdoes Blaine and his tricks with quality magic.
Of course I'm talking about Criss Angel.

---------------

Lately there have also been a few new "firsts" in magic. I mean "T.H.E.M." and "Room 401". These guys used magic for the first time as a candid camera act. Nobody had done that before (as far as I know) and that may be partly the reason why they managed to get series on prime time TV - but unfortunately they weren't as well received as some other magic series.

-----------------

So the roads to success right now are 2. Either come up with something of my own that no one has done before or outdo the one who was first.

At this time I don't have an original idea that is capable of changing the world of magic. If I wait for that perfect time to launch my career, then it might be that the perfect time never comes. I'm going in as it is and I'll take care of the mess later.

Thank you for your understanding,

David
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Most of the people who made a huge impact in Magic, and
indeed most of those remembered long after for their contributions to the art, did indeed:
"have an original idea that is capable of changing the world of magic"
and therefore created, earned, and deserved their fame and place in history.

Remember, that all the feet you step upon as you climb the ladder of success,
are the same feet you'll encounter again as you descend that same ladder.

Perhaps the hour for your fame and fortune are not yet there,
and await more work, creative effort, and perfection of your craft?

Magically,
Walt
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I am becoming more and more irritated with newbies who think they have it all figured out when they are still wet behind the ears. I am tired of those who want Instant Success without going through the necessary steps to learn and develop. I am sorry if I step on anyone's toes, but I dislike seeing magic given a worse reputation than it already has. There are too many who think they ought to be able to start at the top, and that with little or no effort on their part. It may be that the world is simply not ready to appreciate your special genius, or it may be that "it just ain't that easy!"

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » David Blaine Copyright (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL