The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mass Mailing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicman812
When you guys/girls send out a lead generation letter, do you also include/attach your business card? Also, what is the best way to handle the postage? (stamps, meter,etc.) Sorry if these are elementary questions but I am preparing for my first mass mailing.

Thanks
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Not sure what your level is in magic, as you have NO information up on your profile. But based on the question you are asking you should perhaps subscribe to Eric Paul's (free) newsletter, check out back issues (free) and if you need more info, buy his system. Your question virtually covers the entire field of direct mail, and this is well covered by Eric in his course. I am not going to describe all the ins and outs that I use in my campaigns, I have just finished a BIG one and am now reaping the results.

Eric also has another program about a "successful" campaign which will also give you insights.

Best of luck.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
MatthewJames
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MatthewJames
Hello magicman,

Can you share with us a little more about who you're mailing to, list size, what your goals are, etc, that way we can give some solutions based on the results we've achieved? I've got experience with direct mail in most markets, and so do other guys here. We'll be able to help you more once we know what you're after!

Thanks,

Matthew James
ToolsForMagicians.com

[email]matthew@toolsformagicians.com[/email]
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Live (real) stamps, hand-addressed envelopes, sometimes yes for including a business card. Be sure your letter has a call to action and other important elements of a lead generation piece.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tell us more about your mailing list.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I agree with Blair. If you are going to use direct mail as a marketing strategy, Eric would be a great resource.

Direct mail can be one part of an overall marketing strategy, but all the other issues raised by people responding to your question are of vital importance before anyone can give you decent advice. Otherwise, be prepared to spend a lot of money for a low rate of return on your investment.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
It also depends on timing... although there is no magic solution. But back in the days when I used to do such often this is what I did...

Country clubs - 30 -45 days before easter, 4th of July and Xmas.
Schools once at the start of the year and once around halloween.
Corporations once in Jan and around May and once in Nov.

If you do it several times a year you will get in their files, on their list and in their databases...
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Thanks for all of the advice. Just to let you know, I am targeting elementary schools and I have a list of about 400 schools. The mailing list that I got I just got right off the web for the state I live in. As for my goals, I am not at this point full-time but I do have a very flexible schedule and really feel the school market would be perfect for me. Also, I do have Eric Pauls Childrens Course (which I think is great) but I just didn't see anything regarding my question about the postage and my business card.

Thanks once again!
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Schools can be a little tricky because programs may be booked by different people at different schools. At one school it may be the principal or assistant principal, at another it may be a cultural arts coordinator, still another may have a PTA/PTO committee member booking the programs. For this reason it can be hard getting your direct mail piece into the right hands.

Whenever I did a mailing to schools and I did not have the name of the correct person, I would address it to "Principal or PTA President" and hope that the secretary who sorted the mail would put it in the correct box. Another strategy is to send one to each.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Jim,

I sent it to both. Also, beginning of the school year and around halloween and one month before school lets out is usually when they are looking for entertainment...

Cheers
curtis
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
My mother is a V.P. at an elementary school and she said that the PTA Pres. does all the booking for entertainment, if that helps.

jl
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Josh, it varies from school to school, but generally speaking PTA is the best...
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Mass mailing is a lot like cold calling, I found targeted mailing much better. It depends on the type of letter you are sending and type of audience you are addressing, generally a business card included doesn't hurt.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I have no experience mailing to schools. Maybe did 1 or 2 school shows as a favor to mom. My expertise is with corporate/association mailings. Curtis brings up a good idea about mailing to multiple people at an organization (or school in this case). I've done that successfully and more times than not it ends up in the right hands.

If you attach a post-it note (hand written) to the letter saying, "Would you please make sure this gets to the right person?" Your success rate will go beyond the normal 2%.

People love to help people and if you ask for their help and you get hired because they helped you, they feel good about themselves. They've done their good deed for the day.

I've used that above idea with enormous success. My mailings of 1,000 to corporations/associations have given me at least 50 hot leads and 25-35 booked engagements.

Mailing is a very good marketing plan, but be prepared to spend lots of money and time redesigning a great letter. It's all about numbers. The more leads you have the better your odds of getting a gig.

Josh London
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Andy (magicman812),

I've performed hundreds of elementary school shows over the past 30 years.

I have found that schools book at different times throughout the year, and that mailing in January works fine if you are offering the right show.

I have also found that there are different contacts in the school to approach. And I've also learned from listening to other performers like Steve Taylor, etc, that the people you have the most success with, will vary depending upon what region you are in.

I have also found that with schools, it's a good idea to keep doing mailings to them several times throughout the year, and also year after year, to build up a familiarity with them. For example, instead of mailing to 1000 different schools once, you are better off mailing to the same 250 schools four times during the course of the year (different letter each time).

If you have testimonials from schools, or as soon as you can get them, use them in your mailings. In your mailings, show that you know them, and understand their needs.

In most areas, there are also other ways to approach schools besides mail (or the phone), such as assembly performer showcases, etc. You have to know your stuff to get into these showcases -- they are not for the novice.

There are some nice resources out there for the school assembly performer, by David Ginn, Steve Taylor, Jim Snack, BJ Hickman, Barry Mitchell, Ken Scott, Julian Franklin, Jim Kleefeld, John Cooper, etc.

- Donald

P.S. If you can use the search engine, and find some older posts from John Cooper, you will discover some excellent information about his style of selling to schools. Hint - he uses the username "Creative Coach" here on the Café.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Schools hmmmmm
Who do you address your mail to? What time of year should you send it? Should you send a letter, or just a post card? Does your show have a message? Sure throw your business card in the envelope, but how can you be sure anyone will read it?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

To whom???

Principal
President - Home and School (PTA)
Daycare (afterschool program) Supervisor

Need an actual name, go to the school's web site.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Blair
I want to thank you for correcting my English, it is a never ending task, and I will be counting on you for assistance in the future.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sometimes, if you call the school and ask questions, you will find out the right person is not the Principal, but a different staff member (V.P., or a teacher who also organizes the assemblies). Just a tip.

Also, several times for my Reading show, I've had the school librarian as my contact. He/she might not be my contact for a different type of show, but was for that show.

- Donald
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Hey Al,

Al says "I want to thank you for correcting my English" ???????????????

Not sure what you mean Al? Your English was correct.

My spelling wasn't! (president) LOL

You asked "Who do you address your mail to?"

My response was, and so as not to repeat your entire question..."To whom?? The Principal, President PTA, Daycare Supervisor etc."

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

(Did you misinterpret my response as a correction? It wasn't meant to be!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Mass Mailing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL