The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Michael Close Reviews Card Dupery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
It was great to see Micheal Close's VERY positive review of J.K. Hartman's "Card Dupery". This book seems to have gone under the radar of a lot of Café users. I bought this book the very day it was available and can say it is one of the best card books in which one can invest. The year 2007 was a great year for books with Best of Friends III, Card Dupery, Devil of a Bar and Pub, In Search of the Sensational, Session, Cardini the Suave Deceiver, WD40, and many many others.

Please, if you have not yet purchased Card Dupery, read Michael Close's review in the latest Genii. In addition to the review, he also steps up on his soapbox to preach about people asking for "the best tricks in [insert name of big book here]".

I would hate to see Card Dupery have the same fate as Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. It too seemed largely ignored and subsequently went out of print. I am so very pleased I purchased IT on the day it was published. Prices for this book are escalating. It is wise to keep a weather eye for these gems before it is too late. I made the mistake of not purchasing M.I.N.T. volume 1 and regret it.

Best to all,
Vlad, the destitute bibliophile
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
All I can say is, Card Dupery is a "fantastic" book which I enjoyed so much. I agree the description that being said at the back of the book. If you have this book, you are actually holding a book that treasured so much the excellent ideas and routines.

By reading this book, I can say I would like to personally thank JK Hartman for his "so much" effort that being put in, in producing this very book. I love lots of the routines and the ideas. Not to forget that the sleights sections, which I truly believed you will use them as well.

Don't miss this book especially if you are a member of the pasteboard that deal with cards everyday. Smile - A superb read!

Best,
Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Andrew,

Judging by the fact that there have been 81 views as I write this post and only your reply, I wager that only a few of us have this wonderful book. As I said, I would hate to see it suffer the fate of other great books that have flown under magicians' radar, but, I suppose on the other hand, the few of us who do know of it will have some killer effects that few are using.

Best,
Vlad
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4117 Posts

Profile of JanForster
O.k., then let me add I've the book and I think it's great. A "Must Read" for all serious card workers... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
Is it just me but I got Cardcraft in my hands some time ago and the sheer amount of stuff is so intimidating that I didn't start to read it and I gave it back to my friend who lend it to me. It's just so enormous. All of JK HArtman books gave me the same sensation, it's just too much. This guy have four huge books in print. Talk about creativity!!!!! No one compare except perhaps Stewart James. But I must say that this one is the first that I would really like to read so maybe soon....

Yves
Magiman
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magiman
Try Ulti-mate with a nail nick instead of the bluff....Eddie Fields would be proud of you...
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
Vlad-77, re: "I would hate to see Card Dupery have the same fate as Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond. It too seemed largely ignored and subsequently went out of print."

It it went out of print because all the copies sold, surely it wasn't ignored? Smile:)

Some interesting stuff in "Card Dupery" but ultimately it failed to excite me in the same way "Card Craft" did all those years ago. No doubt I'll discover gems in it later I missed first time around.

Paul.
Magiman
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magiman
Quote:
Some interesting stuff in "Card Dupery" but ultimately it failed to excite me in the same way "Card Craft" did all those years ago. No doubt I'll discover gems in it later I missed first time around.

Paul.

Orly? I thought the card to case and triumph plots were really well thought out.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
To be honest, I'm pretty much 'Triumphed" out and already have two versions in my repertoire. Since I'm happy with what I'd doing I loath to change. I still read to see what's out and about and new but rarely add new stuff to what I'm doing as a professional entertainer. So I guess my criteria for what I'll actually take on board may be different to yours.

I read with interest, for instance, the stuff on Mexican Poker, and whilst dealing procedure wise it is more like standard card play, the Solomon version in John Bannon's last book is still in my repertoire and still plays very well. Sure, the dealing procedure may not be standard, but its a card trick at the end of the day and is a better version if you decide to use jumbo cards (and I use larger than normal cards for that). An earlier version of a poker deal I had used which concluded with a prediction was T. A. Waters "Decideal" (p.206 Mind Myth & Magic). It was a case of how many times do you need to change the same basic thing you're doing?

I guess I just don't get exited much these days. SmileBut I didn't say it was a bad book, because it isn't. I certainly respect J. K. and have used a number of his ideas over the years. He is always worth a look.

Paul.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I finally got to spend some time with the book. What can I say, it was darn difficult to put it down. What a treat . . . . it is a HUGE book, packed with action - and it will keep you busy for a long, long time.

The illustrations are fantastic - rich and detailed on the one hand, artistic on the other. How sad that the artist has passed away, leaving a fantastic legacy.

And now to the tricks and moves. A number of new moves were introduced. Several workers amongst them - enriching my arsenal. No knuckle busting stuff - intermediate card workers should have no problem with them. In summary - solid stuff, nothing fancy and no pipe dreams.

The description, aided by the good illustrations, are clear and to the point. The beauty of it - there is no chit-chat filler stuff, no lenghty descriptions of the obvious. All is precise and spot on. There are books where you have to read the text over and over again to understand how to make a move - This book is nothing like that. So two big thumbs up for readability and clarity of description.

And now to the tricks - there is a lot to be said and just thinking of it makes me want to grab my deck of cards. Not many books do that for me . . . .

Let me cut to the chase - most of the tricks brought a big smile on my face. What else does a cardman want?

Andy's Verdict - Four Aces

Andy
Cards never lie
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Andy,

Very nice write up! It pleases me to see that this great book is finally receiving some attention here on the Café. I hope more people will take the chance and buy this book. There is a wealth of great material in it and I think that cardicians would be doing themselves a disservice by not purchasing it.

Best,
Vlad
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
"A case for Change" is a routine I do a LOT for lay
audiences !
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Michael Close Reviews Card Dupery (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL