We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Pants,jacket,long sleeve shirt and tie for close up its ok but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Do you think a magician with tie it only for close up or you can perform illusions in those clothes? I think to add a black formal vest. What do you think?
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I think that your choice of colors are very important. If you dress with a flair you have the makings of a good costume.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It depends on the environment and the character you play. David Copperfield wears clothing from an unbuttoned shirt to formal wear. It seems to fit. I've seen stage performers wearing a T-shirt (and not just Criss Angel) and a coat.

Having a coat or a vest is useful for the pockets. Some street performers work out of a pouch so they don't need the pockets.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
You wear whatever makes the statement you feel you should be making.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
726 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
You wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Charlie
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
297 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 18:48, charliemartin wrote:
You wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Charlie

I think Charlie has hit the nail on the head. I know that if I am uncomfortable in something then it does affect some of my movements. I would hate to have something like a new shirt throw me off in a performance but it could. I find that if I give clothing as much practice as the moves I’m generally ok.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Comfort is irrelevant we are people who get paid large sums of money to work for short periods of time, and you want to be comfy too. David Copperfield is nothing more than a cartoon character of a magician. I believe you must both look good, and stand out in the crowd. The use of color, and accessories makes the ladies take notice, because it is the woman who hires you, and pays you. The chances of me working on the Vegas strip are very remote, so I always try to be the best dressed man in the room, and a hat will go a long way to set you apart from the other guests. Copperfield, and Angel are NOT role models.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Copperfield dresses with style and panache, at least now days. He wears a lot of simple yet well tailored blacks, I think usually from Comme Des Garcons. I think Blaine also pulls of his everyman look with ease and great compatibility with his character.

Angel is sort of the opposite end of the spectrum. By dressing like he's going to an Industrial Music night club in 1992 he is helping retard magic fashion.

Mr. Angello, I strongly agree with your sentiments, but have to caution never to wear a hat indoors. One must seperate oneself from the uncouth Baseball Cap wearing Legions
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2088 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Natanel,

I agree with your comments about wearing a hat indoors... etiquette demands you remove your hat once inside. The only exceptions I would make would be performing on stage and your character wears a hat (e.g., if your character is a 40s-ish character wearing a fedora) or you are at a costume ball Smile

Regards, Steve
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
The most important principle in dressing for a gig is the appropriateness for the venue and season. Once you have established the basic guidelines (i.e. formal wear, casual wear) the next step is tailoring it to your character. The third principle is utility for the effects you will be performing.

This order of Importance:
1.Appropriateness to Venue
2.Character
3.Utility

For example:
You are performing for an office party at a nice restaurant in the summer. You decide that business casual is the appropriate mode, so you decide to wear a cotton khaki suit.(principle 1) Your act has somewhat of a gambling theme so you decide to wear a somewhat flamboyant black silk shirt.(principle 2) You are going to use some topit work, so you then decide to go tie-less and leave the jacket unbuttoned.(principle 3)
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Steve,

It's nice to see a fellow magician who cares about the finer points of fashion. I certainly agree with your exceptions. Even outdoors, a hat is a risky choice in today's times, but if worn with confidence and taste it can really set one apart from the crowd.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Nathaniel please call me Al

Yes I agree I don't wear a hat doing walk around indoors, but I work a lot of out door gigs.

David Copperfield wears so much makeup that he looks like a clown.

I will agree that Blain's every man look really works for him.

Chris Angel is just lost in space shouting out profanities at teeny bopper rock concerts. He just might make himself as pasa as Paris Hilton has become.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2088 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Natanel,

"Confidence and taste"... well said.

Regards, Steve
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
You must wear whatever makes your statement. Your statement must touch your audience. As a question of taste, I do not share that of Blane or Angel. None the less, their style does appear to do the job it is required to do. I have a few ethical issues with the two of them, but while their fashion seems cheap to me, it isn't one of those issues. It would be very difficult to argue that either of them fails to reach his audience, or even that their style prevents them from doing so.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Personally, I think I'll side with Al on this one. Even though both Blane and Angel both look like they just finished cleaning out the garage, then made a run to the dump, the majority of the public will name one or both of them if you ask them to name a magician. What we're part of is something called show buisness, and we need to look the part. When I come into a venue for a show everyone knows I'm the magician, not the dishwasher. I guess what it comes down to is that I'm old school, every magician I've looked up to through the years have always dressed up for the show, I really think the majority of the audiences not only like it, but expect it from us. Just my 2 cents.
Bob.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi Bob
Welcome to the magic Café.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I would suggest that a black vest might not be a good idea. If you're working against a black background you might fade into the background. Moreover, the public likes to see color.

Your choice of costume would also depend on your props and the story you're trying to tell or mood you're trying to evoke. For Artist's Dream, with a comic tone, an artist's smock and beret might work. But if you are doing Artist’s Dream with a romantic tone, that might not work. For a Thin-Model Sawing, you might want to wear tails, perhaps even a cape, perhaps even a handle-bar mustache. You might even want to dress like the villain in an old melodrama (think of Ray Bolger in Disney’s 1961 remake of “Babes in Toyland”). ("If you don't give me the deed to the ranch, I'll saw you right in two.") If your props have an industrial look – which seems to be the current fashion – the tails and top hat might not work. But who knows?

Who is presenting the illusions and why? Is it a magician showing his wonders to a few friends? Or a magician performing for a thousand people on stage? Or just practicing (or experimenting) in his own living room (with the help of his slightly peeved wife)? A mad scientist experimenting in his laboratory? A mad scientist showing his discoveries (or inventions) at a scientific meeting? A con man trying to sell something (perhaps a device that materializes women) to an unsuspecting mark? A used illusion salesman trying to sell something to a magicians ("This is a really low-mileage head chopper and only failed once in the past four years. You can get it at a really good price because the last owner is serving 20 to life ...")? Each of these would suggest different costumes.

Thom
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
It's hard to say without knowing you what the "perfect" outfit would be...we can tell you what works for us...but that works for us. Take a moment, think about "who you are" and it will come to you!
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
To each is own , I am 24 , so I dress 24 . I am hip and have STYLE and that's what makes me , ME. I dress with bedazzled shirts and edgy jeans . But it doesn't matter , the clothes don't make the magician - The Magician makes the clothes. - C.M.
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Pants,jacket,long sleeve shirt and tie for close up its ok but... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL