The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Open Discussion - Club Banquets and Club members... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pbrooks1972
View Profile
New user
Akron, OH
1 Post

Profile of pbrooks1972
Ok so here's the deal. We hold an annual banquet at our ring which includes close up, stage, dinner, and awards. Club members typically perform on a voluntary basis. Here's the dilemma: Should those members that perform get a ticket to the banquet "on the club"?

As it stands the 2 sides of the coin are:
A: Yes, performers should be "comp'd" out of simple courtesy ...they have performed and will not then be as privy to the festivities, and are utilizing valuable skills to do what they do.
B: No, you are contributing as a club member; we don't make enough money to do that (because we barely scrape by on the cost of the event); other members pay, but help out too.

SO - what does your club do? What are your other thoughts on this?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The Dallas Magic Clubs gives points towards a Magician of the Year award for all volunteer performances for club meetings and events. Unless the club member is going to some considerable expense or special effort, it simply should be comped out of courtesy. If they member did incur considerable expense or had to go to some above and beyond the call of duty type effort to create a performance, I don't think a free ticket is necessary.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Each Ring has it's own rules which best serves it's needs.

But I would like to think that if a magician was performing for a banquet he or she would be given a free ticket. It's the least they could do for the magicians who are working the show. Yes the non-performing members can help make up for the cost of their tickets.

It is important that the Ring has good show, one that everyone can enjoy. Otherwise no none would come to the banquet. If giving away a banquet ticket is what it takes to get good talent then I would encourage it.

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
It seems that each member probably contributes in one way or another. Those who plan the event, secure the location, approve the menu, arrange the entertainment, promote the event and so on all contribute just as much or more than the entertainers. Should these volunteers go uncompensated? In my opinion, with proper leadership and delegation nearly everyone in an organization like ours contributes one way or another. Supporting the Ring is a good cause and I, for one, wouldn't mind paying my way and offering my services as an entertainer.

That said, my performances don't require an huge outlay of cash on my part. If a performer has to pay an assistant, replace expensive consumables or provide for the care of a rabbit or doves in the course of his/her act, then compensation may certainly be appropriate. In this case, I would make the option available and leave it to the performer to donate the compensation back to the Ring - or not.

Waffle waffle! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
We do our banquet with very low cost - members bring food and drinks, the club buys the main course but that's pretty much the only cost and we cover that with dues money. Since the costs are pretty much kept low that way, we do not charge for the banquet for anyone - guests, members who aren't up on dues, etc all get in free.

Our opinion is that this is an event that we use to encourage folks to get out and come to a club event, see some magic, meet some folks, and have a good time. Hopefully they'll like it and come to club meetings as well. It seems to work very well for us.

All I can say for your particular question - if someone is coming to work for you, they should not have to pay money in order to work. I doubt the funds to comp each performer a few tickets will make or break your event. And if they are performing they don't get to see the show - so you're charging entrance for a show they can't see.

Look for excuses to do something nice back to the folks volunteering. Don't look for reasons to gouge them. You want them to keep volunteering, right?

And if you're going to charge them admission ... does that mean they can charge you their performance fee? The logic can VERY easily go both ways once you start down that path. And you'll lose. Just by having the argument you will lose, no matter where the argument goes.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
My take on this is inclusive of several thoughts already presented. First you as an organizer wantto get the best performers you can get for your banquet but do not want to break the bank in doing so. My experience is that if you keep the number of performers low then you should offer the performers comps for the event. These performers should be duley selected by a committee and agreed upon by the group. We Typicaly comp our performers. This is spelled out in an agreement that we present ahead of time.

As a performer that feels that I should support my ring to the fullest. I generally will perform Gratis to the ring and pay for my ticket. and The tickets of all my assistants and my wifes tickets and all the tickets for My daughters friends. its just good Karma.

as an event organizer I also know that there a few folks who would Volunteer just to get a ticket. that's ok but by using a committee you prevent the abuse of the generosity of the club and ensure that a fresh crop of performers gets to work each year.

The bottom line is that you may not like the things you have to do but you have to keep the club from falling apart between the salad and the dessert. a few comps go a long way.

last Always have a recognition of EVERYONE who volunteers no matter how little they do or how much they do. That recognition is you strongest tool to help build a strong membership.
magical best
Michael Taggert
ring 50 our national capitol ring
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
We don't pay our members for performing in our public shows, which raise money for the Ring.

We had our first banquet last year. We picked up the cost of dinner for our Territorial Vice President, who conducted the installation of officers and the induction of new members. One of our members provided some free entertainment.

For this year's banquet, a comedian who is not a member of our Ring will be performing. I don't think that he is charging us, because he is using the occasion to try out new material. It would be nice if we picked up his dinner tab. I'm not sure what we'll do.

This is a matter for the Ring officers of each Ring to decide, based on that Ring's circumstances.

Yours,

Paul
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
We have a big public show every year in which the participating members donate their time. the money raise by this show goes half to our ring and half to a charity. This money is used for the operation of our club and to host a summer picnic and a holiday party. Both of which are free for the membership and their spouses or family. We usually hold the holiday party at a local restaurant who usually lay out a very nice banquet for us. Entertainment is usually a local non-club member magician to whom we pay a fee as well as providing them and their staff with a complimentary dinner.
We also provide a free lecture every year to our membership as well.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Open Discussion - Club Banquets and Club members... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL