The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » UltraGaff Deck from Ellusionist??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sebashtion H.
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Sebashtion H.
I was at the twin city convention last year with Miller and Garcia. This deck is loaded with killer effects, and great looking cards......Garcia brought the full deck with him and it is a outstanding deck... I own the red gaff deck and I cannot wait for this and the DVDs to come out...... it is going to hit hard!!!!

Sebashtion H.
http://www.subdividedstudios.com
Sebashtion H.
Start Your Legacy!!!
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey Tyler,

While I haven't spoken to Josh about this effect being included, I do recall that he was talking to Danny about gaff ideas when they were culling thoughts from friends for the deck. It is possible that Josh gave the idea to him. However, it is strange since he is selling it himself as a stand-alone item.

I am curious how the rest of the deck will be credited, if at all.

Rich Aviles
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Rich,
Nope. When I was talking to Josh, he was quite surprised by it.

That's too bad. Josh's routine is too good to become public domain. I guess all I can hope for is that people remember who the genius was who created the brilliant concept in the first place: Joshua Jay.

Tyler Wilson
kent1985
View Profile
Regular user
Perth (WA), Australia
148 Posts

Profile of kent1985
Hopefully it will be better than army of 52 though
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
You can now click the UltraGaff image on the E home page to see some images of a few of the cards from this deck.
Kevin Reylek
Jim Hazen
View Profile
New user
Elizabeth Colorado
56 Posts

Profile of Jim Hazen
Army of 52 was terrible
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
Splattmaster
View Profile
New user
Morristown, NJ
14 Posts

Profile of Splattmaster
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 00:08, Jim Hazen wrote:
Army of 52 was terrible

What was Army of 52 and why was it so bad? Will that be any reflection on the ultra-gaff release?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Army of 52 was a DVD that E put out to be an accompaniment to their various exisiting gaff decks, and mostly features the Ghost gaff, with a smattering of Tiger and Red Gaff thrown in.

It stars Justin Miller, and teaches a few different sleights and routines for some of the different cards in those gaffs.

Since Ultragaff is a completely new deck with some totally new and never-before-seen cards (supposedly), and the fact that it's supposed to be coming out alongside a 3-DVD set where Houchin and Garcia give you ideas with every single card in the deck, it looks like Ultragaff will be a much more "complete" resource.

The fact that Army of 52 was out earlier and wasn't an earth-shattering DVD should have no bearing on the Ultragaff.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Splattmaster
View Profile
New user
Morristown, NJ
14 Posts

Profile of Splattmaster
So is it just Jim's opinion that it was terrible, or is that the general consensus?
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I have the Army of 52, and don't think it was terrible. There are other DVDs that I like better on the use of gaff utility cards, but this gave one some ideas on how to use some of the cards, and I enjoyed Justin Miller's teaching. That being said, I hope that the Ultragaff DVDs will be even better.
John
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I too have Army of 52 and like it very much, Justin Miller is a first class guy and an excellent teacher.
There are more ideas on this DVD than anyone could ever use. Now that I am thinking of it, I believe I need to revisit this DVD.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Jim Hazen
View Profile
New user
Elizabeth Colorado
56 Posts

Profile of Jim Hazen
Maybe its just me.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
If it fits you great..it was designed for YOU..if it does not fit you then great..it is not for you.

Hint: why do you think we have so many TYPES of tooth paste..diff. pastes for diff. jobs.

Justin N. Miller

Besides I think my NEO impression was dead on! lol
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Actually I thought your impression of Neo was horrible. Not once did you get distracted by shiny things or utter the word Whoa.
magic-dabra
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
153 Posts

Profile of magic-dabra
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 23:25, wsduncan wrote:
So this is different from Magic Makers Packet Killer deck in what way?

Are there NEW gaffed cards or just more of the same old stuff, collected in one deck?

I was in San Francisco a few weeks ago and visited Misdirections Magic Shop. In talking with the owner Joe, he explained that there are two kinds of gaffs. One is the kind E produces and are on Army of 52 and will be in the Ultragaff deck. These gaffs are meant to be seen. Misplaced pips, smears, double printed, etc.

The other type of gaff such as are in the Packet Killer Gaff deck and Bike Assortment deck are not meant to be seen or recognized as a "gaff" card. Things like double backs, three cards side by side on one, two different indices etc. These gaffs simple make the effect work without the viewer knowing that you are using a "special" card.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
I also enjoyed Army of 52, and I cant wait to see what the Ultragaff deck is all about.
ragingoptimist
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of ragingoptimist
I hope the cards are more practical then the last gaff deck. I'm not looking for a "spooky" set of cards with "edgy" effects. I'd love to see stuff like what was on the trailer, which I think meshes much better with a set of cards. It is a surprising card while still being coherent.
jfquackenbush
View Profile
Special user
Out here on the desert
607 Posts

Profile of jfquackenbush
I agree with ragingoptimist. I have the ghost gaff deck and I honestly don't use a lot of the cards. While some of the spooky effects are nice, like the queen fade out and dead kings, are kind of nice and work well in the right atmosphere and with the right presentation, a lot of the "special" cards with a death theme are just corny and look like something you might find on a spinal tap album cover. I've occasionally gotten a couple of laughs by making fun of the cards after an effect. that sort of off the shelf, mass market spookiness is too hard for most people to take seriously; still there's only so much sarcastic humor you can do before your jokes about the ghost that haunts the deck obviously shopping at Hot Topic start to feel a little mean, and anyway I'd rather people didn't associate my effects with the crummy special effects in C grade monster flicks. I did note in the trailer for the ghost gaff deck that one of the gaffs I like the most was suggested by Danny Garcia, so I'm hopeful about this new one. although I often feel quite foolish paying thirty dollars for fifty four pieces of paper, and while ellusionist likes to make a big deal out of their UV 500 finish, I dispute their claim that the've bested the classic tally-ho feel.
Mr. Quackenbush believes that there is no such thing as a good magic trick.
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
I have found that these new Gaff decks from Ellusionist are not only a lot of fun to look at, but also they really get the imagination wheels turning.

I own the first pack and I will be picking up this new one as well.

Appreciatively

Scar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » UltraGaff Deck from Ellusionist??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL