The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help with Snowstorm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Friends,

I have recently begun doing the traditional snowstorm in China effect. I have been getting really good reactions and I love doing the effect. However, it is over so quick. Let me explain....

I use "The Grand Finale" track from Edward Scissorshands (no surprise there) and I begin by folding and tearing the paper to create a snowflake. I then tear the snowflake to peices, add water yadda yadda yadda. At the point in the music where it hits its first big crescendo I begin the snowstorm...I try to go slow at first then let more go but it is all over so quick after you begin the storm. Its seems that just as the audience is getting into it and me as well I am having to fade the music and end the effect.

How can I prolong the effect? Do I let one load go slowly they steal a second? Or do I just shorten the music and let it naturally come to a close? Should I use a small fan to keep the snow in the air longer?

Also, what are you all using for snowstorm. I have been using the Ultimate Snowstorm packets.

I realize this is such a newbie question, but it is a new effect to me and I wanna do it right. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorian LaChance
-Dorian LaChance
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
This effect to me as I learned it in my teen years was is in tarbell as winter time in china, another neighbour of this is no ticket no shirty, wereby you tear a chinese laundry ticket restore it fumble with it tear it again and snow storm it. Some use body loads, tumbler loads, or attached on the fan in the size of a golf ball wereby as you squeze the wet paper and as you pick up the ladies fan you load the ball in the same hand as the wet pieces. don't worry little bit of dampness wont hurt the effect.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
There are some techniques that have been used that seem to work well that you may want to try out.

1) try various styles of snowstorms as some have different shapes that seem to stay in the air longer.

2) Practice different fanning techniques. Sometimes by fanning in and underahand type position upwards tends to work very well and keeps is suspended longer.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
You can make your own, either by making it completely from scratch or by combining two or more regular ones into one. That track is usually used with the snow animator, however.
Finding a new song is also an option. If you do a google search for royalty free music you'll find lots of neat music that may work for you instead.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
If you have the money and are able to use it, I"d recommend Kevin James' Snow Animator. He has many different models. Though costly, it is amazing.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
The teneka snowstorms seem to stay in the air longer, if that is what you are looking for. Take some dramatic actions after the snowstorm has been produced. The classic move is a spinning motion under the snow, and a long bow after it has hit its climax.

-mm
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
OR, steal a second double load and add to it to extend the effect.

IF you want an original routine for this, check out Theatrical Magic. My script titled Snowstorm in Armenia is based on a true story, and wonderfully powerful!
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I agree. It's a nice touch to let most of the snow settle. Before it all does, do a second snowstorm..it looks a little more magical. I usually end the trick by using a positive message "if you believe enough in yourself then you really can accomplish anything." It leaves on a positive, emotional note.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There are several points that important in "selling" the snow storm.

1) you need to make it a magic effect not a special effect. As mentioned torn and restored paper in the traditional method is the actual effect with the snowsotrm being the unexpected climax.

2) Use your music to build the intensity of the effect. It should gradually build and build.

3) Use your lighting to add to the effect if possible. Bring in the reds, wait five seconds and bring in the blues, wait 5 and bring in the yellow, and finally add the whites. You are increasing the intesity of light on the stage which adds to visibility of the snow.

4) Start the snowstorm very slow and let confetti feed out very slowly.

5) Adding a second load is acceptable but not always necessary. You need to take a slight pause, like you have finished, and then start the second load.

6) Make sure to hold the applause cue to finish the routine.

Hope those ideas help a bit. If you do not know how to sell the effect, all the snow machines, lighting and such will not help.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Listen to Richard, he knows what he is talking about.

You might want to get Jeff McBride's Stage Magic Vol. 2 (I recommend you get all three volumes). He has lots of good tips on Snowstorm.

I use it at the end of all my shows and Richard is right you need to let the routine build with music and lighting if possible. Get some cheap snowstorm loads and practice your fanning technique. Faster fanning does not mean a higher and bigger finale. A slower and longer fanning technique works a lot better. Depending on the size of the venue, I will sometime double load. I also use a piece of music from the artist Yanni (used with permission from the artist) and where the music hits it's crescendo is perfect when I release the packet. I have gotten a lot great reactions from audiences doing the routine.

David
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Thanks everyone......I am listening, believe me.........

David...you said you so this trick in all your shows...do you use the same patter in the winter as you do the summer time.......where I am it never snows...but I was really wondering if I was going to be able to do this during the summer time.....just seems like it might be a stretch....but again...im new to this so I don't really know.....

Your thoughts?
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I use 2 packets of snowstorm and attach them together with 2 small tapes. When I am through with the first packet, I only use one hand for the second, releasing it with one hand. It looks like the load is even multiplying.

BTW, this effect is best performed with sleeves rolled. In that manner, no one will suspect that it comes from your sleeves.

I finish the load simultaneously when my music ends. That signals the audience for their applause.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 23:31, dlachance wrote:
Thanks everyone......I am listening, believe me.........

David...you said you so this trick in all your shows...do you use the same patter in the winter as you do the summer time.......where I am it never snows...but I was really wondering if I was going to be able to do this during the summer time.....just seems like it might be a stretch....but again...im new to this so I don't really know.....

Your thoughts?
Dorian

Dorian,

I sent you a PM.

David
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yanni music...I am impressed.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-01-26 11:36, hugmagic wrote:
Yanni music...I am impressed.

Richard

Richard,

The story behind the music is as follows;

A friend at my church is the drummer for Yanni's band (he is also a world class drummer in his own right). I was trying to come up with music that would set the mood for my snowstorm routine. Yanni has a song call "One Man's Dream" which has a lot of texture, has a beautiful crescendo at the ending, and was perfect for the routine. I asked my friend how much it would cost to use the song. Charlie called Yanni and called me back and said to go ahead and use the song at no charge as long as I gave Yanni credit for the music. I always let the audience know the song is used by permission. Yanni also wanted to see the routine set to his music, so I gave a video of the routine and sent it to Charlie to give to Yanni. They loved it.

You will never know how nice people are if you will just ask before you dive into something, honor their work, and give credit where credit is due.

I consider myself very fortunate.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
That is a great story and shows that doing the right thing does pay off.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Just lucky, I guess.

David
johnreid
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of johnreid
There are also several tips and routines in the book Secrets of the snowstorm by larry maples. the book includes not only tips for concealing and stealing the load but tips for fanning as well.
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I just bought a snow storm off ebay, but I'm have not tried this before I know there's a lot of different ones made, does anyone know are heard of this one? and is it any good? I've been wanting to do this effect for along time now, and have been get things together for it, even have a snow machine to use with it if all works out ok. also could someone recommend which snow storm is the best are they like best. there description of what I bought. ( We supply you ten special Snow Storm Tablets. Each Tablet has about 2000 tissue paper "snow flakes" in a compact tablet ) I have never heard of the tablets before, only packages. Thanks ahead for your input. Owln_1
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 22:51, Darkwing wrote:
Listen to Richard, he knows what he is talking about.

You might want to get Jeff McBride's Stage Magic Vol. 2 (I recommend you get all three volumes). He has lots of good tips on Snowstorm.

I use it at the end of all my shows and Richard is right you need to let the routine build with music and lighting if possible. Get some cheap snowstorm loads and practice your fanning technique. Faster fanning does not mean a higher and bigger finale. A slower and longer fanning technique works a lot better. Depending on the size of the venue, I will sometime double load. I also use a piece of music from the artist Yanni (used with permission from the artist) and where the music hits it's crescendo is perfect when I release the packet. I have gotten a lot great reactions from audiences doing the routine.

David

Great advice I agree with

I perform the Snowstorm in shows professionally for corporate & theatre for many years now

Slow fanning at the start with a trickle from the hand above the fan , good lighting as mentioned previous & editing your music to reach a crescendo as the snowstorm finishes-you don't need 2 storms!

Al of this together will be long enough for the routine-the lay audience will still love the effect

Cheers

-Brent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help with Snowstorm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL