The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Help: A Kids Science Show using magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
I will be auditioning for a local kids museum that wants experienced performers to do scientific demonstrations for kids.
The audition is this coming Saturday (I know but I just found out about it) any ideas of science based tricks that could be exposed without doing the art harm?
Looking for audition ideas.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Mirror Box, I know the childrens museum in Ithaca, NY has a big mirror box on display and for hands on.

Optical illusions are good as well. The one I recall is two card board rainbows about 6" long. If you put the bottom edge of one touching the top edge of the other then one appears to be larger. If you stack them, they are the same size.

Chemical reactions, sorry can't remember the metal (magnesium?) that reacts when put into water, sort of a flash, haha.

Some good ones
HERE
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Read this forum. There is a plethora of info already here.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2704 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Optical illusions are good as well. The one I recall is two card board rainbows about 6" long. If you put the bottom edge of one touching the top edge of the other then one appears to be larger. If you stack them, they are the same size.

George B. Anderson in his book "Magic Digest" suggests making the "rainbows" with bananas printed on them. One slightly green and one with brown spots.

I actually had a friend who was an artist draw the banana for me and made these up. First time I bought them out the kids went; "Oh, that's just an optical illusion! We saw that in school!"
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Dr North,

Be careful!!! I have done programs for museums in Boston, New York, Chicago and Cleveland and on [b]all three occasions, my act stayed long after I had left - either in part or in whole. If they like what they see, it is cost effective to have an intern to "perform" your program.

Good luck and be careful!!
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Look on youtube... There's some seriously cool science experiments on there... Also, dry ice experiments are always a hit.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14057 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 10:27, Banester wrote:
Mirror Box, I know the childrens museum in Ithaca, NY has a big mirror box on display and for hands on.

Chemical reactions, sorry can't remember the metal (magnesium?) that reacts when put into water, sort of a flash, haha.

Some good ones
HERE

I'd be rather careful, though, of those chemical reactions!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Help: A Kids Science Show using magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL