The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitching multiple items... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Hey all. I'm wondering how those of you that pitch more than one item work it out. I know sethb has talked a little bit about this. Don has given a lot of reasons not to do it. I can imagine that pitching more than one thing does get confusing when people have to pretty much "order" what they want. It seems like it would slow things down.

But I want to know the other argument from those of you guys that have success with this. Why is it better than pitching one item? How do you deal with turning the tip?

Thanks,

Matt
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I feel there are pros and cons to having more than one item, probably not so many cons with just two. I know Don suggests selling Svengali Decks and Squirmles (Magic Worms) on his DVD, perhaps he will chime in here.

With two items you will double your inventory cost and have twice as much stuff to carry around. Fortunately, the decks and worms are pretty compact. You will also have people waiting to see the other item before they decide what they want to buy. (This is not necessarily a bad thing, because people just attract more people). On the other hand, you will not get bored selling the same thing all day. You also get two bites at the apple -- if they didn't like the Svengali Deck, maybe they'll like the Squirmle. The deck seems to appeal mostly to teenage boys, the worm to younger boys and also to girls, so you broaden your possible purchasers.

Carrying more than two items is tougher, it's even more inventory and again, the kids may want to see everything before they decide what they want to buy. This may slow things down a bit, but I find that in the end they usually do buy something, so I don't see it as a negative. And again, having people standing around and prolonging the demo is not, in my view, a bad thing, because it just attracts more people.

I carry five different items -- the deck, a few coin/money tricks, Magic Worms, etc. So it's almost a little traveling magic store, not a true pitch situation where you are working a big tip and then selling just one or two items at the end of each demo. But it has worked out OK for me, and the big plus is that fairly often I get a person who just can't decide between two or three things, and ends up buying all of them.

I even had one little fellow, probably about nine years old, come up to the table, pull out his money, and excitedly announce that he wanted to buy one of everything! I was in the process of asking him exactly how old he was (some of my stuff is too hard for younger kids to handle), and suggesting that he start with just one or two things, when his mother caught up with him. She was very glad that I just didn't pile everything into a bag and sell it to him. We talked and I still sold him two things, both of which were age-appropriate for him (a worm and a paddle trick); he was happy, his mom was happy, and I was happy. I may have violated the first rule of pitching, which is "get the money," but I felt good about it. He'll probably be the next David Copperfield. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
All I'll say here is: Have you ever seen more than one item being pitched on TV ?
If it worked I promise they would do it.

You are either a pitchman with one item or you have a magic shop and become a magic shop dealer.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 22:54, DonDriver wrote:
You are either a pitchman with one item or you have a magic shop and become a magic shop dealer.

Which is exactly why I decided to raise my price to $10 by adding a DVD instead of doing the worm. Talked with others about ways to raise the price, such as adding a simple rope or coin trick. Decided against it. Besides, I'm having enough problems with the DL! ;-) I'm just not a prestidigitator! Can't wait to get the Zibit, tho!

John
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I'll be the first to admit that what I am doing is not a traditional Svengali Pitch, in fact I said as much in my post above.

And as I also said, there are pros and cons to both approaches. I'm not saying that one way is necessarily better than the other, I just tried to compare them and give the benefit of my experience with it, which is certainly limited compared to Don's. This is my fourth season out, and I'm still learning as I go, I usually learn something new at each show. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,

Please understand having a mini magic shop is OK.But to be a hardcore pitchman you should just pitch ONE item.Even adding the squirmle as I do isn't being a true pitchman. I do give the "marks" one price for both so that helps to make the turn as a pitchman.

John is more to fourm with being a true pitchman with the Svengali DVD he is adding to get the gross up.Its like getting an "extra something" with the deck.I would pitch the deck for $10.00 and "give" them the DVD as a kicker for "FREE"

I don't go out much anymore but I really think its time to ask $10.00 for the deck alone.

Later guys,
Don

Don
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I wish there was an single bill in between five and ten. Five is too little, but ten seems like too much wthout at least a book, if not a DVD like Jon. The DVD sounds prohibitively expensive...
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
When pitching you have to keep it an even amount.Its easer to get $10 out of them than say $7 or $8

Don't ask me why,but it works.

Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-01-23 12:27, sethb wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that what I am doing is not a traditional Svengali Pitch, in fact I said as much in my post above.

Certainly am not attempting to push my way of doing it over yours, Seth. If I had the talent, I'd try it a different way, too. But...of course...I have "...no talent or ability...". So I'm kinda stuck with doing it Don's way until I can find something better. My idea about the DVD is a step in that direction.

I'd love to have the talent to be a REAL MAGICIAN! And have other related things to sell. And maybe some day I can. But until then....I'm just too timid (inexperienced?) to attempt to tie the Svengali cards with ANYTHING unrelated. Smile

John
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-01-23 15:39, TKD27 wrote:
The DVD sounds prohibitively expensive...

Actualy, they costs me only about 47 cents each from Sam's Club. I make 'em myself using my computer, having made a video of doing the tricks from the instructions with the cards.

The only problem I have is the time. Each one takes about 17 minutes so to do 50 of them, takes about 13 hours. I just sit here, with one computer making 'em, looking at Ebay or something else on the other computer. Keeps me outta bars.Smile

The additional $5 I get by including the DVD, costs me only 47 cents, which is less than the 1st $5 costs me. I do very little during the week, so it just takes making up my mind. And as I've stated before, if I sell only 51% of what I sold at $5, I earn more.

"And if you get the cards and the 2-card Monte RIGHT NOW, I'll include the DVD that's playing on my computer. (Pointing to it.) Shows you close-up exactly how to do all the tricks. A DVD like this can sell in magic stores for up to $19.99 (I have that price on mine) but right now--it's yours for free, just for getting the cards for only $10. That's right, you get the cards, complete instructions, the 2-card Monte AND the $20 DVD right now--only $10."

John
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 15:39, TKD27 wrote: I wish there was an single bill in between five and ten. Five is too little, but ten seems like too much wthout at least a book, if not a DVD like Jon.

Gee whiz, you mean that $8 bill I took from a guy last weekend is no good? Smile

Seriously, I agree, and I think Don is right that a round number is somehow more effective. It's also certainly easier -- at $7 or $8 you often have to stop and make change because they will hand you a $10 bill anyway, and that slows you down.

It would be nice to keep the whole $10, and there are some magic shops now getting $10 for a Svengali Deck. And in New Jersey, I would only get $9.30 from a $10 anyway because of the 7% State sales tax. I am just afraid that $10 is pushing it for an impulse purchase in my area, but I guess I'll never know until I try. It's also true that there are people who believe that if something is too inexpensive, it's no good. Pricing is truly an art! SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,

A friend of mine used to put a can on the table with a sign that said:

" Sales Tax Honor System "

Never mention it unless they ask you.If they do ask just say I have to pay it.Another good line for sales tax is:

" I don't charge salex tax...the state does "

Than I was thinking (thats dangerous) why do you have to pay sales tax on $10.00 if you don't get $10.00.Just pay it on $9.30 if that's all you get.But than it would be less tax and you would have to do the math,but you get my point.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Ah, Don, I wish it were so, but here in Jersey it's not quite so easy!

To get a resale certificate so that you can buy wholesale, you need to register with the State's tax folks. Once you are on their radar, you are expected to file quarterly sales tax returns, even if you have no sales for a particular quarter. You are also required to display your resale certificate at the point of sale and also either show the base price of each item separately and the sales tax amount, or just show the total price and indicate that sales tax is included, which is what I do.

Some of the large municipal shows/festivals that I do apparently submit their vendor lists to the State Division of Taxation in advance of the show. The tax folks then cross-check the vendor list to see who isn't registered, and they are actually there the day of the show to deal with the unregistered vendors and enforce compliance on signage, etc. with everyone else. I have been to a few craft shows where the tax guys show up and all of sudden a couple of vendors are "gone with the wind."

So I just do what I have to do, I don't need fines or having my resale certificate revoked. It's not that big of a deal and we aren't talking about thousands of dollars here, although I'm sure the state would go bankrupt without my generous quarterly sales tax payments <grin>. I have also heard, but don't know for a fact, that sometimes the tax folks will cross-check a State income tax return against a State sales tax return, and if they don't jive, you can have big problems.

BTW, you are right on the math, it's not exactly $9.30 out of $10, but that's how I compute it for each show, and I always end up paying a little less on the actual return because of that. SETH
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Just remember that there will be a mark out there to buy at every price point...you just have to decide whether you want to work volume or premium...simple supply and demand...damn that degree in business is worth something! Also you're not selling an .80 wholesale deck you're selling the dream of all the freakin' cool crap they can do with it to make them look good (sell the sizzle not the steak)...Do you think Entertainment giants like Ringling believe that their Floss is worth a sawbuck or blinkers worth a dub, no they sell the memory of the joys of childhood and seeing your first circus! Just my .02 AC
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 22:54, DonDriver wrote:
All I'll say here is: Have you ever seen more than one item being pitched on TV ?
If it worked I promise they would do it.

Actually Don ... I have seen Billy Mays pitch a lot of different items. He has OxyClean, Hercules Hook, Ding King Dent Remover, Mighty Putty, Kaboom, some kind of neat kitchen gadget that slices things, and I know I've seen him do other things to.

Pitching just one item has a lot of advantages, I won't disagree with you there ... but it just doesn't work for most situations. If your doing fairs and festivals once a year it's one thing, but when your in the same flea market week after week, you begin to realize you have the exact same customers week after week. The downside is, you can only sell them one deck.

People getting into pitching should listen to Don. Learn to pitch the Svengali deck, you can learn more after you get that mastered. If you start out by trying to pitch everything under the sun, you are going to have a rough time.

Sales tax is easy - "I'll make it ten dollars even, include the tax and everything - you won't find any magic store do that for you". The way I calculate it, I'm probably paying the tax on $10 instead of the $9.75 ... I should subtract 5% from my gross. Hmmm...

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Different strokes for different folks. That also goes for giving them a choice of tricks.

We present ours as a small magic show with tricks anyone can do. I say at the end of each tour and show; "People ask us, yes, but can we do magic? We have searched the world for tricks that are easy to do and look great!" Then I show about 8 tricks or novelties and two jokes .. it moves fast... Most buy something on the tour. Girls always buy different, mostly not cards. Many buy 2 or 3. A few buy just about all, and once in a while ALL, as a set! Nothing under $5.00

We only get them as customers once when they come through town. A small percentage come to town again and revisit.

We even sell to 3 & 4 year olds and as many girls as boys. Most of those would never buy cards.

Have been doing this pitch for over 20 years and it adds greatly to our income. Have had many experienced carnys come though and compliment us highly, saying it was one of, or the the best pitch they have ever seen.

So it can be done. Pick your tricks and novelties carefully. Each one has to be gold. Each has to be visual and fast. No rip offs as well. Parents just love it when their little darlings walk off doing a trick sucessfully. Makes us feel good too!

We often say it costs $10.00 to get in and $20.00 to get out.

In our case tax is not an issue. We just add it at the register automatically. In this world it is just a given.

We have also done this at the end of sponsored outside shows, giving a part of the proceeds to the group with great success.

Dick
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Joe Joe: "Actually Don ... I have seen Billy Mays pitch a lot of different items. He has OxyClean, Hercules Hook, Ding King Dent Remover, Mighty Putty, Kaboom, some kind of neat kitchen gadget that slices things, and I know I've seen him do other things to."

You have seen Billy pitch all the items you said but you have never seen him pitch more than ONE item at a time.Thats the point !

Dick:
You are doing a pitch in a show to people that came to see magic and that's good.I pitch to people just walking by.Its different.If nobody gets it now I just give up!

Don
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Speaking of a walk by situation, years ago I did a similar pitch to the one I mentioned above, in Central Park in NYC, to walkers by, kind of like street magic. No regular show, just showing the pitch tricks.

Had less since they all had to be light and portable. The heaviest item was the cards. But could not do without them.

Also did a similar pitch in a side show type ten in one museum venue in a downstairs store in Times Square on Broadway for several years. Tommy Laird did the mouse.

Never did fairs much however. Those who do that kind of venue may have to work differently.

Dick
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Tommy Laird was a mouse pitchman legend.I never did meet the man but heard of him many many times.

Don
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Lol... Don, don't give up. Most of us get it Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitching multiple items... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL