The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Add a pad / add a number - mentalism (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardguy100
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
1 Post

Profile of cardguy100
I'm interested in reviews of products or what products people like using for a classic add a number mentalism trick. For example, I've seen an el duco wallet type devise with a pen. Any good? Do people find this trick effective in real world presentations? Tips with selecting your final person who can actually do arithmetic. I'm interested in general on your thoughts on this topic
maurermagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of maurermagic
I always make sure to select an adult to do the math and someone with glasses. This way I don't create a situation where the person can't help me because they are not wearing them or needs to look for them in a purse. I got my add a tablet from Stevens magic. I believe the one I use is the type that Falkenstein and Willard use.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
(1) give them a small calculator (2) ask someone sitting next to them to help with the adding.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You can make what you need using a simple spiral bound notebook (actually two). No need for a special device.

The addition piece is always a slowdown in the act and the place where a mistake can go wrong. People using caculators also make mistakes by punching in the wrong number.

Simply help them do the addition by talking them through it. You already know the numbers, have rehearsed the addition, so it should flow. You make a mistake/miscall a number just after the person writes down their number and re-add to find they are right.

There are very few (that I have seen) powerful "Add-A-Number" presentations out there. E. Raymond Carlyle's (Ed Fowler) presentation is the best I have ever seen. He has a DVD "The Carlyle Touch" showing how to make the add-a-number pad and how to present it properly.

The DVD can be found at: http://www.carlyletouch.com/PageThree.html

I think that you will be well ahead giving an "Add-A-Number" presentation. You can buy the DVD and all the props needed for a show for less than the average gimmicked Add-A-Number prop.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 11:12, Harry Murphy wrote:

There are very few (that I have seen) powerful "Add-A-Number" presentations out there. E. Raymond Carlyle's (Ed Fowler) presentation is the best I have ever seen. He has a DVD "The Carlyle Touch" showing how to make the add-a-number pad and how to present it properly.

The DVD can be found at: http://www.carlyletouch.com/PageThree.html

I think that you will be well ahead giving an "Add-A-Number" presentation. You can buy the DVD and all the props needed for a show for less than the average gimmicked Add-A-Number prop.

Harry is right(as usual),Ed's routine is a killer! I used to do it years ago,I used a small note pad.

Mike

w.w.h.d. Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This thread made me remember how powerful (and easy and fun) the add-a-number routine was.

I decided to use it in a house party performance I was hired to do last night (Feb 8). My act was pretty much out of pocket and with as many borrowed items as possible (yes I “salted” the venue).

The whole act consisted of borrowed bill number divination/prediction, add-a-number (spiral bound dollar store pad), Chance and Choice book dictionary/book test (I knew that the hosts had a paperback Webster’s – I asked them in advance and asked that it be made easily available), and a blindfold psychometry/cold reading routine.

My total cost for the props: $2.00 spiral notebook, $1.25 Bandana (pack of four for $5.00), $1.00 in quarters to exchange for the borrowed dollar (they get the dollar back and get to keep the four quarters), $2.50 short roll of Duct Tape. So for the outlay of under $10.00 I had an act. What does fancy, leather, mechanical, Add-a-Number prop cost?

Private palm reading filled the balance of the evening. Every one had fun and I think that everyone was entertained and fooled! Ah the power of doing easy stuff!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Add a pad / add a number - mentalism (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL