The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Living in a hotel with smuggled doves and rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I do understand the fee. But at what point does it become just a cash grab? Are they doing that much more of a clean up if you are there for two nights or 4 nights? That is my main concern with this.

I ended up booking a hotel that didn't mind not charging the fee.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Cash Grab - love the term! *haha* Who knows....its their business, so I guess they can do what they want, right? Whether or not they do good business or not is another story, but it is their business. Sucks sometimes, but que cera cera....

Glad you got a place though....would be aweful to sleep on the street and perform for that many days without a shower! *LOL*
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22841 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, if by "deep clean" he means calling the carpet cleaners, then he is still losing money without a "special deal" with companies like Stanley Steamer.

I am sorry, animals cost money, apartment housing is charging additional for having a pet. It is the way as the world changes.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ryan, you have to remember that not all animal owners are going to be careful with their pets in the room. Some owners might let their animal roam free outside of the cage most of the time. That means more hair being shed directly on carpets, and/or possible fecal matter and urine which can stain a carpet. Hotel owners don't know you from Adam and they have to protect themselves. The longer the pet is in the room, the more difficult it may be to clean up.

Actually $10 a night isn't really a bad price when you stop to think that a good deep cleaning of carpets could cost the hotel several hundred dollars.

Some hotels will allow you to keep your animal in a special area eliminating the problem.
Where the magic begins
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
This is extremely funny to me as this topic originally started with people wanting to sneak animals and not paying any fee or even notifying staff they have animals. Now it seems like Im being ganged up on for not wanting to pay the whole fee as I would be there for 5 days and paying around $700 in just the room rate before the $50.00 fee is added then taxes on top of that.

I really doubt any hotel would be steaming the carpets every time an animal is in the room, otherwise they would be loosing so much money that they would adopt a no animal policy.

I use the term cash grab because at some point there is a balance and every dollar after that it is all about the money. If someone wanted to book you for an event and then someone else wanted to book you for a week of shows wouldn't you give the one that wanted the whole week a price break?

The one hotel lost my business and the other one gained it and I have more money in my pocket and thus more profit so I will be smiling all the way to the bank.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Ryan, I think you're taking the discussion wrong. We're not ganging up on you at all. Although the title of the topic is about smuggling animals, the original poster talked about the mess his animals made in the room and was looking for solutions. When you resurrected the topic, you weren't talking about smuggling either but rather why the hotel wanted to charge a fee or animals.

I think the issue is that the longer someone stays in a room, the more intense the cleaning has to be when they leave. I'm sure you've seen regular daily maid service. A quick make up of the bed, vacuum and clean the bathroom. When you actually check out, they strip beds, and do a much better job of cleaning. They have to do that because of health regulations. They are really just protecting themselves against the guests that aren't as careful with their animals as you may be.

Granted, a rabbit in a cage is going to create much less mess than several birds spreading dander etc but the hotel manager must treat everyone the same. You can't expect him to have a policy that says, birds no or a fee, rabbits ok, snakes and lizards a different fee, dog and cats a high fee etc. It's an animal fee. Also, many people are allergic to animal hair etc. What happens if the maid assigned to your room is one of those people? Now the hotel must redo the cleaning assignements and that is an inconvenience to them. Nothing is free in this world and fees are often charged when changes are necessary in certain circumstances, and again, I don't thing $10 a night is really bad at all.

I'm sticking up for hotels in any way, just pointing out some of the reasons why a fee may be charged.
Where the magic begins
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
A good General Manager would have found a way to make the fee disappear with the room rate going down or adding a benefit. They lost out on a room being filled all week by not playing ball for less than 10% of the total fee.

As "Alpha" suggested privately to me maybe I will try to get a discount on the room as opposed to trying to get around the fee from now on. The current hotel I have booked for that week actually gave me a special deal for the whole week and also didn't charge for the animal fee.

If it has only been 1 night at a place I have usually gone with Motels with outside room access from the parking spot and just brought him in.

Oh the joys of working with animals.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5170 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well, I could be wrong but I'll bet he didn't lose a weeks rental. If he'd been concerned about that, he may have made a deal with you but obviously he has no shortage of guests so he can afford to hold his policies.
Where the magic begins
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
It would be nice if every room he has is full every day of the year. But I doubt that in the city I'm performing. Many places have special deals for multiple nights obviously this one doesn't. Oh well.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
We have had plenty of days of smuggling. Carts with cloth covers and wheeling them right by the front desk, with hopes of no one squaking. Definately the do not disturb sign, and tv being up a bit. doves in the closet to muffle some noise when to bright. lots of clean up after the shows and before we leave to dispose of evidence.... you never know when you may return..LOL Know we have the trailer with heating and Air while on the grounds. if we are traveling and we cant hook up to electric while stpping for the night..... then in they come, unless the weather is just right with the temperatures, then they can stay in their cages in the Trailer with plenty of ventilation and care. Lots of times we plan our trips with stays at the cabins at KOA. this way plenty of electric available for air conditioner and heater. and we can stay in cabin. Traveling with animals,,, aint it fun!!
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
627 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Quote:
On 2012-06-03 12:13, tropicalillusions wrote:
Traveling with animals,,, aint it fun!!

I'm guessing you've never been on a national tour of a Broadway show Smile Talk about rooms needing a deep cleaning after...
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Living in a hotel with smuggled doves and rabbit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL