The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Jay Sankey Leaving home questions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kakronen
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of kakronen
Hey does anyone do Leaving home by Jay Sankey?

If so, what kind of keys do you use? I know these tiny ones come with the effect if you buy it but the keys don't look real? So what does everyone use? Also does anyone have a longer routine with it?

Thanks in Advance
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, kakronen. I used to do this...haven't in a long time, but yeah, you can use any keys. I just used regular house keys.

The problem with performing, is, that some effects beg for a longer routine...but, if you study audiences today, you'll find that LESS is MORE. People bore easily. Wham, BAM! Next. You'd better be not only BRIEF, but EXCITING!

That one is a good opener, leading into MUCH more...that one just does not stand alone. A good follow-up would be to use the key in another effect, with that leading into another, etc...

Good luck!

Doug
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
If you want to compare apples to apples, I think a good finger ring and string routine would be preferable to Leaving Home. Many of the same moves, sleights, etc.. and you can make the routine as long or as short as you like. Greg Wilson's Ring Leader is a fantastic DVD for this stuff. It's all modular, so you just add-in, or take-out routines and away you go. Also, it uses a borrowed ring, which is very powerful. Who carries a key on a string?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A short key with a good sized hole would be best.

While I agree that a key on a cord isn't common, justifying a key on a cord is no big deal.
It could be for your house, a locker, your bike or cycle lock or what ever type of key you tend to misplace.

Who carries a finger ring on a cord?
I know girls had thier 'steadies' ring on chains back in my day but not so sure if anyone still does this.

A medal of some sort may be more logical.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
You don't carry a ring on a cord. You borrow the ring. IMHO, this is also an important distinction, because the magic is being done with THEIR object.
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
I use the "leaving home" move with my wedding ring(s). It's the first move in my ring and string...I'll then borrow a men's ring for the rest of the routine. I agree with Dougini, less is more. I only pop the borrowed ring on and off a couple times then, the finale is "Interlace" - it's awesome.
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
millste
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of millste
I also borrow a mens ring for the trick. It makes it more memorable in my opinion
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
You can't really do Leaving Home with "borrowed" ring. You can use your own ring(s), or modify the handling.
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
I do it with a "borrowed ring" - if I can find a guy whose wedding ring looks like mine (plain wedding band). I do the "leaving home" move and their ring is the one that ends up on the string. I repeat the effect too. I simply pocket my own wedding ring so it's not in my hand anymore - and I'll just do that ring and string move where you APPEARENTLY pop (his) ring off and then pop it back on. It goes over great and blows everyone away. I'll finish with "Interlace". My ring and string routine is short and sweet.
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
JonathanM
View Profile
Veteran user
Jonathan
352 Posts

Profile of JonathanM
Half the time - I don't find a guy whose ring matches mine - so I'll just do the "leaving home" move with my wedding ring(s). Then borrow one to appearently "repeat" the effect as I mentioned in my post above. Interlace is the best finale!
Jonathan Meyer
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
www.jonathanmagic.com
bugboy
View Profile
New user
New York
64 Posts

Profile of bugboy
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum!

I find Jay Sankey's 'Leaving Home' to be an amazingly-visual routine. As taught in his video, the routine is composed of three phases: the initial melting-on, followed by a melting-off, and concluding with you tossing the key back onto the lace.

In my opinion, the last phase is stunning: with no cover at all, the performer taps the key onto the loop of lace. When done well, it's pure magic. I recently performed this for a friend of mine at my local magic club, and he was blown away.

Overall, the routine isn't tough to do, with the exception of the third phase. This phase will definitely take practice, as their are a few mechanics that need to be performed at the right time. But, with practice, this move looks stunning.

In regards to the props, I got the keys from a local locksmith. I simply asked for a pair of blank keys, and they were happy to give them to me, free of charge. They are relatively small, and gold-colored. I purchased the shoelace from a shoe store.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Jay Sankey Leaving home questions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL