The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » We Are Professionals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidbreth
View Profile
New user
Angeles City, Philippines
69 Posts

Profile of davidbreth
"We Are Professionals. It requires absolute bull-dog tenacity, and a rock-solid backbone to do what we do!"

We are full time entertainers. Not just any type of entertainer, oh no. We are professional, full time magicians & illusionists.

When most people hear this (depending on where you grew up and how), the 'standard perception' is a man in his mid to upper fifty's dressed in tails, white gloves, top hat (to produce rabbits from) and a cane.

It is typical from "well meaning" people to make statements such as ..."We would love it and it will be fun to have you come to our party. There will be plenty of children there and this will be the perfect place for you to practice your magic tricks."

To this we have been known to respond in several ways, but one which grabs their ear the most is "(Name), what is it you said you do for a livelihood?"

They state what they do as their full time profession and we reply.

"Oh, a lawyer. Now if I was to call and invite you to a party we are hosting and in the same breath state, since you are a lawyer, this will be a great place for you to practice your law knowledge (I know several people who have legal questions for you). I know this is your time off, but it will be great exposure for you and once everyone sees how good you really are... people will call to hire you."

"Oh, a factory laborer, Now if I was to call and invite you to a party we are hosting and in the same breath state, since you are a wage employee, this will be a great place for you to practice your nine to five job knowledge (after all we need help setting up and taking down the party). I know this is your time off, but it will be great exposure for you and once everyone sees how good you really are... people will call to hire you."

"Oh, a doctor, Now if I was to call and invite you to a party we are hosting and in the same breath state, since you are a doctor, this will be a great place for you to practice your medical knowledge (I have been having this cough lately - - bring your bag of medical gear). I know this is your time off, but it will be great exposure for you and once everyone sees how good you really are... people will call to hire you."

"Oh, a construction worker, Now if I was to call and invite you to a party we are hosting and in the same breath state, since you are an all-around fix-it-up person, this will be a great place for you to practice your production knowledge (Our kitchen has a leak in the ceiling). I know this is your time off, but it will be great exposure for you and once everyone sees how good you really are... people will call to hire you."

"Oh, a (insert any profession here), Now if I was to call and invite you to a party we are hosting and in the same breath state, since you are a (___________), this will be a great place for you to practice your (_________) knowledge. I know this is your time off, but it will be great exposure for you and once everyone sees how good you really are... people will call to hire you."

We hope you realize from the examples above how peculiar this 'standard' statement is to us, as full time professional entertainers.

Another point to ponder is derived from two statements we hear often from family and friends:

1. "Are you still doing the 'magic' thing?"

2. "When are you going to get a real job?"

"Are we 'still' doing the 'magic' thing?" Hummmm, let's reword your statement, by bringing this into your world.

"Are we 'still' doing the 'law' thing?"

"Are we 'still' doing the 'medical' thing?"

"Are we 'still' doing the 'building' thing?"

"Are we 'still' doing the 'factory' thing?"

"Are we 'still' doing the '(insert any profession here)' thing?"

"When are you going to get a real job?" Again, let's reword your statement, by asking a question. What is a 'real' job?

Let us tackle the first question. "Are you still doing the 'magic' thing?" To you it is considered a 'thing', what separates what we do from what you do on a weekly basis?

Does what we do for a full time living make you un-comfortable because this is not what you perceive as the 'norm'? Or could it be, you have never given the time to really investigate by asking us what we do on a daily basis and/or come to our public performances and or run with us for one day (like an intern)?

Fact: Did you know we are often asked and actively attend career days in schools just like other professionals with 'real' jobs do?

Is your definition of getting a 'real' job:

Working in an office for many hours each day.

Answering the phone.

Making cold calls.

Running errands.

Drinking coffee to stay awake.

Attempting to dominate your market, by staying ahead of your perceived competitors.

Driving in traffic to get you your next appointment early.

Preparing for an upcoming event.

Invoicing customers and settling accounts due and or payable.

Getting your web site ranked on the first two pages of Google, month after month.

Setting meetings whether they are in office, on the road or conference calls.

Emailing potential clients, creating strategic marketing and sales campaigns.

Hand writing thank you cards to your customers.

Getting your deposits into your business account before the bank closes.

Taking care of tech issue - - computers, cell phones, etc. . . .

And many more professional business tasks like this?

If you answered yes to any or all of these...then by your own admission, we have a 'real' job!!! This and more is what we do on a daily basis, six days per week...often earlier than nine and much later than five.

Note: By your own definition, maybe your statement "When are you going to get a 'real' job?" is only defined by the amount of money one earns. If this is the case, many people do not have a real job. Yet, if we can pay our bills and live what we consider a comfortable lifestyle and this is what we choose, be happy for us...like we are happy for you...after all like us, you too have a 'real' job!

Finally, another statement which is often spoken by the majority of people who are not truly educated in the art form of magic. The statement is, "oh, I wish the children/grandchildren were here".

When you take a journey into the history of magical performers, you will discover how in times past magicians were not defined as children's entertainers. Magi were often hired by the affluent (the top echelon, royalty, dignitaries, Etc.). Through your studies you too will find it is true the richist of society were the clients of magicians.

Note: If we specialized in children's entertainment (and there is nothing wrong with this at all), this would be a valid statement, but when we state, "We are full time corporate magicians" and to this someone responds with "oh, I wish the children/grandchildren were here". Immediately we know this is an un-informed individual.
David Breth
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi David & Lindy!

I have a similar problem. I'm the host of a nighttime radio show called "The Night Club". I work a 4 hour shift from 6pm to 10pm. 4 hours.

People see me every day, and wonder what I do, since I seem to be around all the time. When they find out that DJ's can make 40 grand a year, doing a 4 hour radio show, some get quite upset..."FOUR hours???? Wow...I work 60 hours a week and don't make that much..." "You don't do a thing but sit on your ***, and you make THAT much?"

I've done this for over thirty years...have become the #1 rated show in the market, consistantly! How much SHOULD I make? I should cut my pay, because OTHERS work HARDER and LONGER than I do?? This radio station has made a TON of money off of me...I guess I'm not entitled to more than minimum wage, I guess...

Using the term "un-informed individuals" is being too kind!

Just my $.02

Doug
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Dougini, I'll bet that although your "shift" is only 4 hours, you do quite a bit of leg work off shift in preparation for your shows- researching the material you talk about, interviewing guests- even going to publicity events. No one tends to think of that extra work, just your four hours of air time.

Davidbreth- I don't know how many times I've had to say, "Sorry, I don't do kid's shows..."
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » We Are Professionals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL