The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Email subscription to threads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Is there a way for me to subscribe to an existing thread and get email notification of replies? I realize it's possible to choose this option when making the initial post ("Notify by email when replies are posted"), but is there a similar feature that allows me to do the same with replies that I post in an existing thread, or to subscribe to other threads of interest?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There is no feature that will do this.

The best bet is to go to your 'Profile' and click on (View this user's posts in last 30 days).
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
You could put your favorite threads in your "favorites" and just click on them when you want to look at it.
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
This would be a wonderful feature to add, if possible.

I don't know how some of the guys like Bill Palmer, etc., respond to threads so quickly - at first I thought there must be thread subscription for even non-thread-starters, but maybe they are just monitoring the threads all the time =)

Reason being, I'd hate to miss a post on some of these threads I'm interested in...which I would be interested in even years later.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Mcmc,

Look in the right of
"The Magic Café Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Email subscription to threads" above.
See the printer icon? You can print a topic you like.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When you log onto the Café, look at the left side of the index. You'll see white cups and red mugs. Red mugs means a new post has been made in that forum since you last logged.

It's not foolproof but works most of the time.
Where the magic begins
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Would it be possible to ADD an e-mail thread subscription to the forum?
As mentioned above, there are a few work-arounds but they still aren't very reliable.
This is the one thing about the forum that I don't like.
If his one addition could be made it would greatly improve the experience of using the forum.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Something to think about with this idea. Do you really want that many emails coming to you each day? If you post in a popular topic, and got an email every time someone posted, you might be flooded. You may not be concernced with this but it is something to think about. For example, not singleing you out Doctor Xombie, but in one of the topic you participated in, there were 24 posts in just one day. Would you want 24 emails a day just saying a new post was made?

The red cup/white cup function I mentioned above, takes that problem away. Each time you log onto the Café, you'd just have to scroll down looking for the red cups. That tells you a new post has been made since you visited last. That only takes a few seconds.
Where the magic begins
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 07:34, Dave Scribner wrote:
Something to think about with this idea. Do you really want that many emails coming to you each day? If you post in a popular topic, and got an email every time someone posted, you might be flooded. You may not be concernced with this but it is something to think about. For example, not singleing you out Doctor Xombie, but in one of the topic you participated in, there were 24 posts in just one day. Would you want 24 emails a day just saying a new post was made?

The red cup/white cup function I mentioned above, takes that problem away. Each time you log onto the Café, you'd just have to scroll down looking for the red cups. That tells you a new post has been made since you visited last. That only takes a few seconds.

Good thinking Dave, but that's not a problem.
I am on a few forums and all have e-mail subscriptions on them that let you stop or start getting notices for each thread you want. You get ONE e-mail if someone replies to your subscription. Until you actually go and check it you won't get another. After you check it then you get ONE more. So if you go for a month without a visit, there could be 50 replies, but you will still only get ONE notice.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I take it there is no way to ADD this feature in future?
-Roger "The Doctor"

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
We appreciate the interest and anything is possible with time and effort. Remember our tech folks are only part timers like the rest of us and they have a lot on their plate.
Where the magic begins
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 15:55, mcmc wrote:
This would be a wonderful feature to add, if possible.

I don't know how some of the guys like Bill Palmer, etc., respond to threads so quickly - at first I thought there must be thread subscription for even non-thread-starters, but maybe they are just monitoring the threads all the time =)

Reason being, I'd hate to miss a post on some of these threads I'm interested in...which I would be interested in even years later.

I can tell you how I do it. I check the Magic Café about once every couple of hours, if I am at home, less if I am in some place outside of the US.

I don't post in all the forums: just in the few I have a deep interest in.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Quote:
On 2008-07-28 06:43, Dave Scribner wrote:
We appreciate the interest and anything is possible with time and effort. Remember our tech folks are only part timers like the rest of us and they have a lot on their plate.

This thread was started about 7 months ago and we haven't heard from anyone about it. Can we get said tech person to respond to this inquiry?
We appreciate you guys giving suggestions to help but it doesn't address the question on if this would be a real possibility or if it's not gonna happen because of the way the forum software was originally made.
Sorry if I seem to be a nuisance but this is the one feature that really helps most forums and keeps interest up. I love the forum. I just have a hard time keeping up sometimes.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dr Xombie, lack of response by the tech folks doesn't mean the subject hasn't been considered. It may or may not be on our list of things to do. Some projects are just too time consuming and because of other more urgent or important changes, they may not rise to the top of the list for awhile. I don't mean to sound vague but at this point, there isn't too much more that can be said.
Where the magic begins
briandavidphillips
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of briandavidphillips
I too would love to see an implementation of this sort of feature. Depending upon what forum platform the magic Café is built upon, there may already be coding available to implement this with less headache than building it from scratch.

Either way, I hope it can be added eventually . . . especially in the format Doctor Xombie described of one notification for multiple replies, although the other option wouldn't bug me as I put forum type notifications into their own folders and they're usually pretty quick to sort through.

Having the option to follow a thread with email notifications even if you are not the originator or a replier would be nice as well.

All the best,
Brian
Hypnosis DVD Courses
http://www.briandavidphillips.com

Brian David Phillips brian@briandavidphillips.com
Hypnotist, Trance Wizard, Intuitionist
Keelung, Taiwan
http://www.briandavidphillips.com
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
I wrote about this before. Simply put, there are two ways to configure topic subscriptions and send them by email:

1. Using the BCC email header
2. Putting new replies into a new DB table and running a cron every five minutes (or whatever) to loop through the table and send the emails individually.

There are major drawbacks to each one ...

Using the BCC header isn't going to work because most email servers now mark emails with large BCC lists as spammers. We can't take that chance, so that's out.

Using a DB table and looping every five minutes means only so many emails can be sent every five minutes, and if there are more than the "so many" (whatever that number turned out to be) then notifications wouldn't be sent timely - meaning that when the email is sent the new post may have already been viewed by the recipient, meaning the resources taken to send the email are wasted. Multiply that by the number of people who might subscribe to a popular thread (and multiply that by the number of popular threads) and the delays/wasted resources increase exponentially. It's just not a good scenario, especially on a forum this busy.

I hope that makes sense ...
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Email subscription to threads (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL