The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Question on the value of performing a sucker trick or a visual opening trick for kids magic show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicman57
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Magicman57
I am being featured at my daughter's up coming winter wacky day and doing a magic show and have been away from the kid show scene for many years.

My question is based on the other kid show performers out there, does a magician in trouble (aka sucker trick) work better as an opening effect or is it better to lead with something more magical and establish your magic credentials right away.

The audience for the show are 1-4 graders.

Would also be interested in any recommendations of great opening tricks you might have used when performing for this target audience of 1-4 graders.

Thank you in advance for any and all who respond to this topic. Much appreciated.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I think it's better to open with something magical (appearance of something like a cane or a splashy silk trick or Miser's Dream, etc.) and then get to the sucker tricks. David Ginn's Crash Course on Kid Shows is a little old, but offers lots of good validation for this approach. I don't know what other kid show performers think . . . Actually, he recommends some sort of warm-up (applause meter, etc.), then the magic opening to music, and then, eventually the sucker tricks with audience participation. I would say that you can hold younger kids' attention much longer if you've shown them something splashy first. Dennis Michael has some great routing ideas on the "sticky threads" atop the Little Darlings list.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
...is it better to lead with something more magical and establish your magic credetials right away.

Get them on your good side, make it magical, exciting easy to understand. A production is always good.

There are other like the blooming bouquet, that have beem long time favoriates.

Based on you skill level a one-minute of fast paced magic, leading into to a talking routine is always good.

Excitement breeds excitement, Conflict (Sucker type effect) breeds conflict. Let them get to know your character firsrt before having fun with the turn-it around effect.

dennis
Dennis Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
My vote is for a visual, magical opening. That's what I use.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Until you have them on your side, it's just not time for "magician in trouble" (David Ginn) or sucker tricks. Once it's established that we are going to really have fun together, it's wide open. But first let's get together in the same direction.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I like big productions immediately. The magician is HERE!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree. I would never begin with a sucker-type trick. I like magical, visual openers.
Mister Mystery
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
I make loads of sucker tricks but would never suggest them as an opening effecf.........I agree use very visual amd magical opening ....then afterwards get them laughing and shouting
Derek
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Sucker effect for opener is a bad idea - that's my opinion. visual things like de'ring are good
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I also recommend visual magic to open.

Rob
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Well I guess I am onboard with everyone else as I also agree that you really should start with a visual opener. This way it establishes you as a magician and is colorful and fun and gets the kids excited knowing they are going to have a good time. It establishes who you are. With a sucker effect, I feel the children need to get to know you a bit more and build up he trust and fun level before you go into a sucker style effect. I have always done it this way and it works really well for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
So that's where I've been going wrong all these years!

Listen - it's not what you do............................
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Your first, and last trick must hit them hard.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I believe I am in agreement with the consensus here but I do use Hip Hops as my #2 routine for young kids. So I must admit to happily using a sucker routine toward the front of my show.

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Question on the value of performing a sucker trick or a visual opening trick for kids magic show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL