The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitations Levitations Levitations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MAGICofSeth
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of MAGICofSeth
IMHO,

#1 had impressive height and was very fluid, but the just going straight up and down while sitting perfectly still was distracting.

#2 looked very mechanical. Each time she stopped and started she looked like she was being jerked into another gear. (not how it works, BTW) I used to "operate" one so I am probably over critical on this.

#3 was very fun. I agree with the previous comments that the hoop was not necessary. It almost declared that the boa was holding her up in my eyes.

My humble comments only...
maurermagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of maurermagic
I am surprised that no one mentioned that the third effect was a suspension and not a levitation. I personally enjoyed the third effect.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The RIGHT illusion depends on the type of show you are performing and the type of atmosphere you want to convey. If the atmosphere is light hearted and fun, then number #3 would be ideal. However, from what I have seen of Tim's web site (both old and new), he presents beautiful magic with a classical tone.

In that case, the whimsical nature of the third illusion would not be in keeping with the atmoshpere and character of the rest of Tim's show. In contrast, #2 is beautiful and elegant. It takes a classic illusion and injects a modern element to it.

I say all of this without any specific knowledge of the technical benefits or disadvantages of any particular illusion. I'm simply trying to use a spectator's set of eyes.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Thanks for sharing these three levitation/suspension video-clips Tim!

(Also check out the three “gamolo” clips in the Grand Illusion thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=7&27

All three (six with the gamolo thread) examples go to prove a few things:

There are drawbacks to almost every levitation illusion method…
they either require a full-stage set-up, and assistants,
and/or are bulky and heavy to transport,
and/or very expensive to have made and maintain,
and/or there are shortcomings and compromises in deception.

There is no “one perfect” approach or method for anyone,
and there is no deceptive, magical, wondrous method that is cheap or portable…
Again there are going to be compromises one way or the other.

Also, it is NEVER the equipment that makes the illusion either entertaining, enchanting, or magical!
It is the carefully chosen and rehearsed PRESENTATION, look, theme, premise, and plot which makes it work for the audience.

It is like searching for the holy-grail or the fountain-of-youth…
to keep seeking the “perfect” affordable, portable, deceptive levitation or suspension.

My advice, is to approach whatever method you have built for your shows,
with a theatrically creative, original and fresh vision, and to think OUT OF THE BOX.

Find some ways to camouflage or overcome most of the flaws in design or premise,
and work on making it an emotionally meaningful, enchanting, and beautiful sequence.

And, if you don’t have a substantial budget,
or always the right venues,
or the assistants and a van/truck,
or even a creative, imaginative bone in your body,
then FORGET putting this type of illusion in your shows,
and be happy doing the best size/style magic you can manage to do.

That said, I like the third clip--
I like the chair (except for the hoop hook on the back… why?)
as it seems “unprepared” and needs no platform or base.
I like that she “floats” wearing the boa and not connected to the chair.
I like that they’ve found a theme and feel for the piece which translates to their audience!

Last, as the post above says, before you choose an illusion,
for heaven’s sake, don’t look at it like a magician,
try to become a lay spectator, and look at it through their
(both innocent, but discerning) eyes!

Magically,
Walt
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Great words of wisdom Walt. So many times it looks like the magician just got the levitation for X-mas and pulled it out of the box and said, Wow look what I can do! To make a levitation truely wonderful you need a very good presentation.

btw..I liked #2 as well.

Tim, correct me if I am wrong, but you do/did an asrah as well right? Why did you leave that out, I know it's not a true levitation, but it really packs a punch!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 16:48, Banester wrote:

Tim, correct me if I am wrong, but you do/did an asrah as well right? Why did you leave that out, I know it's not a true levitation, but it really packs a punch!

Hi Banester,

I only included these 3 levi's because I think these (or variations of them) are the most common in stage illusion. I also stuck with these 3 because they are all performed by the same performer (Greg Gleason) who as far as I know still performs all 3 depending on his venue. If I had listed others performed by different performers the vote might have been influenced by the fact that we may have a preference of one performer over another. By focusing on this one performer I think it makes the voting for each illusion more about the illusion.

I could surely use #3 in more shows but the kid in me wants to own a #2. He really wants a #1 but the adult in me (and some experience) tells me I'd rarely use the #1. I was curious what others may have thought. I felt for sure everyone would vote for #1 but am glad to see so many focusing on practicality as well.

Best,

Tim
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I liked the third one the best. The others seemed to lack something. One had no reason for the poles to be there and the other seemed to have no reason for the water to be there. Others have presented similar effects, yet they were well motivated.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Without walking to center stage and sitting down, the pole one looked kinda ghetto, like a kid was doing a one-time garage show in the backyard. Just looks pre-attached. Why not make a fake, styrofoam sculpture of yourself, and levitate that, instead? I mean, c'mon, if you're not gonna walk and get into position, right?

The greatest trick in Greg's act is how the *^%# does Kristi still look the same, if not better than when they were in my garage 20 years ago?

There's obviously a dead vampire somewhere, who got mugged for his book of secrets.

JF
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Hey Tim, give us some credit- when I saw those three, I immediately knew #3 would be the best for a traveling performer, because it has the lowest stage footprint and the least setup issues. (Imagine trying to convince your local church or college to let you haul 50+ gallons of water up onto their stage...)

I just held off because:
a) you threw me with "My answer might surprise you,"- did you know something I didn't about those effects? and
b) I've never been particularly enamored with levitations or suspensions. Most of them have always seemed too mechanical for me. Copperfield's "Flying" is probably the smoothest one I've seen. And since he's still got the patent and performance rights on that one, I'll stick with the Zombie, for now, I guess... Smile

(On a side note, I did build my own full levitation once, but it had some severe limitations. For one, the weights involved were problematic- when I realized I needed to replace some of the load bearing bolts after every performance, I retired the design, and the illusion. I may rebuild it some day, once I figure out how to work around the mechanical stresses on the gimmick.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 22:27, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Hey Tim, give us some credit- when I saw those three, I immediately knew #3 would be the best for a traveling performer, because it has the lowest stage footprint and the least setup issues. (Imagine trying to convince your local church or college to let you haul 50+ gallons of water up onto their stage...)

LOL... There was a day when I'd have picked #1 right off the bat, then #2 would be my second choice and I would never have chosen #3 at all. A lot of experience had taught me better since then. I was curious how many others would jump at #1. I think everyone chose well and with a lot of thought in their choice.

Best,

Tim
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I forgot to mention in the previous posts that I think the Boa suspension is a really nice twist on the classic Broom Suspension. I've seen it done with many other items including a hockey stick but the boa idea is clever.

This is Gregs own addition to this effect. Anyone know of any others where the broom was replaced other that the previously mentioned or the florescent tube?

Best,

Tm
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Here Tim,
An interesting and rather well thought-out variation of a pole/chair suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzqaaBc290

Magically,
Walt
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Tim,
Here are a few other items that I can think of right off the top of my head.
The Pendragons had a giant sword.
The magician that did the Superbowl half time show several years ago used a mic stand (Don't know his name, sorry).
I saw a "Crutch" (used when you break a leg). Built by Bill Smith. I just saw it for sale too. Here's a link: http://www.magicauction.com/Mag_auc/Illu......ries.htm
I have also seen a guitar used a few times.
Also a stack of basket balls (appeared to be balancing), it was on the auction some time ago.
Also, The water levitation is a beautiful illusion and as you probably know the water is extremely messy. I curently own the same type of levitaion but without the water, mostly because of the mess it makes.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Hans Moretti did it with a rolled newspaper tower, but there must be endless possibilities of what a person can use for this suspension.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 04:28, Swann101 wrote:
Hans Moretti did it with a rolled newspaper tower, but there must be endless possibilities of what a person can use for this suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km1SwiLpLp8
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Excuse me, Tim, but the suspension from the chair is not a levitation. And your topic is "Levitations Levitations, Levitations".
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Thanks for the links guys.

And Lou....picky picky picky. LOL

Best,

Tim
minnich_magic
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of minnich_magic
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 03:31, JTSmagic wrote:
Also, The water levitation is a beautiful illusion and as you probably know the water is extremely messy. I curently own the same type of levitaion but without the water, mostly because of the mess it makes.

Whoaa,whaaaat?? Please elaborate on how you perform this.

Tom
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
I personally like the pole suspension but the one in the Greg Gleason video looked like the cheapest thing I've ever seen. Is is a knock off?

Take care,

Bryan
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
I'd go with the 3rd one (suspension) it's the most impromtu and easy to set up.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitations Levitations Levitations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL