The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » NEMCON - March 8, 2008 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bsmmag
View Profile
New user
Rockville, MD
1 Post

Profile of bsmmag
Hi John,

There was one line in your reply that intrigues me:

"I think it's a natural feeling and thought, to wonder 'where is this going?', when watching a piece."

I openly admit that it's a fine line I often dance on, to see how long I can have an audience wonder about something before they start grasping for something to hold on to.

In my Sensory Deprivation Experiment that you mention above, I give the audience something concrete at the last possible moment. I honestly believe that up to this moment, audiences (and magicians in particular) have not given up waiting for the effect that they wanted all along. In other pieces I've created, I explore other ways of releasing this tension that the unknown creates.

Artistically I think I would be more satisfied if the piece just ended as is, but for entertainments sake, I "give em' what they want."

If I want to be a magician, don't I need the trick? Or, does a trick only lead you from the kind of infinite wondering that I believe magic is about, to the finite wondering about how something is done?

In wondering about Wonder Bread, part of me wonders how you can leave an audience wondering, while not having them be dissapointed.

Thank you for your continued comments-- They have me thinking, which is all I can ask for.

I'm starting to think that wondering about wonder may reveal more to me about magic than I would have imagined.

Cheers,
David London

http://www.magicalthinking.net
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
In all honesty, with the exception of a few performers, I wondered the entire convention where it was all going. Very long and dragged out routines, in my opinion!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » NEMCON - March 8, 2008 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL