The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Creative block (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've got it.

I was really rocking with my street show and my bar act. I was having fun with it, not making much extra money, but it was fun.

Then, I got a really good idea - one that I thought could really work, one that I thought could make some real money! (I'll spare you the specifics!)

I began to run the numbers, look at costs, write out a business plan, ETC; it was all looking good, really good!

And all of a sudden.....

Nothing. I've lost my motivation to do much of anything. I have not even practiced the effects for the show in a few weeks. I've totally neglected my street performing (well, it IS cold out there...) and the bar act too.

It's very frustrating. And yet, I can't seem to pull myself out of this funk.

Maybe I need to spend less time online... Heh...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Less time online and more sun on your face.
Sun on the face is a funk buster.
Add to that about 15-20 minutes of just walking.
While you are walking, think about whatever you want to work on.

Motion + Sun + Thought = 1 of 2 Things

Stimulation of the general creative process, or tired and clueless.

Either way you have done something, which is the very first step to anything.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Good possibility that you are just experiencing anxiety. The new venture seems like a good idea, you did a lot of pre-planning work on it, but you may be experiencing an underlying anxiety about whether or not it will really succeed. It is not uncommon. We all fear failure, and one way to avoid it is to no enter into the venture we fear might fail. But as you have already figured out, not doing anything is also a form of failure, since you have dropped out of all performing, even that which you were being somewhat successful with.
Just remember that success often comes on the tails of failures. It is in failures that we learn and grow. If the venture fails, so what? You learned something and might be able to come up with something even better.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
This is the way my creative process usually works. I'll go through spells where I'll get ideas at all times of the day and night, then I'll go through times where it seems like I can't do much of anything. My advice would be to get some rest and have some fun. It'll come back, and be ready when it does. Write all ideas down, and make good use of your time.

I also agree with Photius. Stress can suppress the creative process, and there's a lot of stress in putting yourself out there with something new. (Again, get some rest and have some fun.)
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Good talk, guys. I do have anxiety about this - it's a lot of money on the line and a radically different path in my life...

Thanks!

G
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Go out there and win... What else is there to do anyway?
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Gaddy:

Because I have had to be creative most of my working life, or I would be out of work (toughest was working in a “think tank” full time for just under 5 years), I had to find ways to “unblock the block”.

Sometimes, I did other things and waited. (Sometimes, this does work.) I went to
a museum, went to the beach for a day, played arcade video games. (Yes, the place
I worked would let me do this. They would even give me a sack of coins.)

Other times, I could not wait. I tried forcing it, but that never worked for me. (It only resulted in a loss of sleep.)

Don’t know if this will work for you, but it might be worth a try.

Here is an example to help make the point.
(By the way, I do oil paint, but not for a living.)

I am trying to paint a “commissioned” painting. I have received money, and there is an “estimated” delivery date. But, I have “the block”. I try waiting, but the more time that goes by, the more worried I get. (That makes everything worse. The block
turns into a wall.)

Solution: I put a new canvas up, squeeze the paint out on the palette, and get the brushes out. I do everything that I need to do, just like I was really going to paint.

But I don’t put paint on the brush quite yet, I do a “pretend” painting by moving the brush. I pretend to pick up the paint with the bush. I go through all the actions and movements, just like everything was working great. THEN, ALL OF A SUDDEN, I START painting and the block is gone.

(Going through the motions of everything "going great" is important.)

Hey, this has worked for me many times. Couldn’t hurt, right?

(By the way, there are people who make a living sharing this "secret" and others like it.)
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Gaddy,

one word - NIKE
Cards never lie
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Mr. Ree,

How much for that signed original blank canvas? Man, I can just see you wlking up to the client, handing him that--and walking away. As a alternative scenario, you might add that you advise the client that when you become rich and famous, that canvas will be worth a fortune.

All kidding aside, yours is a good idea. You get in the receptive mood--but don't push it. Nice technique.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 19:19, Turk wrote:
Mr. Ree,

How much for that signed original blank canvas? Man, I can just see you wlking up to the client, handing him that--and walking away. As a alternative scenario, you might add that you advise the client that when you become rich and famous, that canvas will be worth a fortune.

All kidding aside, yours is a good idea. You get in the receptive mood--but don't push it. Nice technique.

Mike

Now that’s a creative solution.
I could have just done the signature!

I wasted a good "creative block" for no reason.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 19:19, Turk wrote:
Mr. Ree,

Mike

A famous quote from Man Ray- famous art deco era designer: "I came with nothing, and they bought it"
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Mr. Ree is right - forcing yourself into a familiar behavior will trigger familiar responses.
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Creative block (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL