The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Can I share the method of this old trick--Ethics/legality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
I am sure all of you know this age-old trick that appears in just about every magic book on a library shelf. It is the jumping rubber band.

I have developed Christian patter for the two phases of this trick. I would like to write it in a PDF format and make it available to Christians who are looking for a solid way to share their faith, etc.

Is it okay to teach this trick in the PDF? Is it old enough to be considered "public domain?"

I was not sure where to post this but would appreciate the help.
Sincerely wanting to do the right thing,
Keith
Keith Brown
Entertainer, Speaker and Author
"Exceeding YOUR Entertaiment Expectations"
www.keithbrownentertainment.com

"Making Magical Memories~Teaching Biblical Truth"
www.keithbrown.org
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I think ANY presentation for that trick would be much appreciated,Christian, or otherwise.

Nathan
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
That trick was invented by my Grandfather and was originally titled "Grandpa Spank's Robusto Rubbers"

It quickly slipped (or jumped) into the public domain yes, but I'm sure he would appreciate the credit that he never received during his life.

BTW... Grandpa was not a magician. He was a rubber band salesman. Probably the best there ever was. In no small part due to his sales pitch which involved his "Robusto Rubbers" trick. He also invented the thing where you wrap a rubber band around your hand and shoot it like a gun, as well as the genius idea of storing a rubber band by wearing it on your wrist like a bracelet.

I wear one simply to honor his memory. I miss you Grandpa S.
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
From my understanding if its in print it can be re used, however if you use it with out proper credit then there might be issues. What really is public domain anyway? If we publish our material it is out there for others to use and to potentially profit from. I think personally this has lost its focus, the magic is important and of course crediting is important but once its out it is out and there really isn't much anyone can do unless it is a direct copy right infringement. From my research as well the only thing that can be copyrighted is packaging and written text. If anyone has any other info to add to this that would be fantastic!

Sickmagic
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
Thanks for the input. I think many people, who find it hard to share their faith, will find my patter helpful.

Take care,
Keith
Keith Brown

www.keithbrown.org
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Be sure to credit Harry Lorayne who invented this when he was ten years old...
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I'm not a lawyer, but I've worked with intellectual property protection enough to say confidently if you write it yourself based on your own knowledge, and do not lift any text or drawings from any place else, then you are not infringing copyrights. It is the expression of ideas that is copyrighted.

Now, as to the proper credit and attribution to the originator of effects and ideas, the question is are those things protected in any way, as with patents? In this case, I suspect not.

Then there's the peer pressure from the magic community to go to at least reasonable lengths to attribute credit to originators. IMHO, if you take steps to state where you learned it, and try to trace the "family tree" back a little as to where your sources came from, that would make me happy. Some would say you have to go back to some caveman who discovered fire because without that we could not process rubber to make rubber bands and... well you get the idea...

Again, IMHO, I think that with just a little extra on your part to describe some of the origins of your knowledge and cite any credible originator or significant contributor to the work would be enough...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 00:39, JohnWells wrote:
Be sure to credit Harry Lorayne who invented this when he was ten years old...

What was the point of your post on this, or any other thread? It has nothing to do with the OP, and is an obvious, and un-provoked joust. I'm getting tired of such posts here. They bring the Café down to a saddeningly low level. Have you even begun to study a fraction of what Harry Lorayne has contributed to our art? For the record, that was a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
I don't know if it has been on print. But it is possible for loading the band again with single hand, once the band has jumped- for a second jump.
To believe is Magic.
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
Legally, of course, you are perfectly within your rights to publish this material.

I would say that your Christian-friendly way of presenting the effect would count as making the PDF something original* and worthwhile to the magic community (a sub-section of it at least) and so should be welcomed by the community.

However, in magic, it is a case of published and be ***ed (no pun intended), well ***ed on sniping magic forums anyway. Smile

*original as in a novel way of presenting an age-old effect. Your readers will for the most part be purchasing the pdf for the presentation rather than the method I'm assuming.
mindsynced
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of mindsynced
Philosophry,
Thank you for your insightful post. You are correct in that the presentation is the key here...not the age-old method.
Keith
Keith Brown

www.keithbrown.org
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, Magiguy. But save your breath because there's no way to "advise" someone like JohnWells (going by that lovely post of his; probaly next to "uncalled for" in the main scheme of things, is his name and picture). There simply was, is, no excuse or rationale for that post, aside from the fact that it has absolutely nothing to do with the question being asked. But you know, we need people like JohnWells, because compared to him, EVERYONE is a nice person!

Interesting, I've had this discussion with top-rated psychiatrist friends of mine over the years. (Because every once in a while there's a JohnWells type.) They've (all the psychiatrists)have always told me that people like JohnWElls just WANT to get a rise out of someone who is much, much, more important than they are or can ever hope to be - makes them feel a little bigger than the "little" *****s they are. I'm aware of that, but can't help it - have to respond like this. It's wrong, I know - makes that ***** feel good to get a rise out of me. But so be it - everyone else (well, MOST everyone else) will understand.

I'll save, or try to save, some back-and-forth bu*****t from JohnWells: What usually happens after I answer like this is - the ***** will respond in either of two ways: He'll yell and scream that he has a right to his opinion (of course, he does, as do I),that I have a terrible ego (right; because I refuse to take s*** from *****s), or some silliness to that effect; or - "Gee, I was only kidding." My answer, of course, would be - don't make me the butt of your inane, idiotic, attempts at humor. So, I hope I've anticipated and answered so that we don't have to hear anymore from "little" people. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 00:45, daver wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I've worked with intellectual property protection enough to say confidently if you write it yourself based on your own knowledge, and do not lift any text or drawings from any place else, then you are not infringing copyrights. It is the expression of ideas that is copyrighted.

Now, as to the proper credit and attribution to the originator of effects and ideas, the question is are those things protected in any way, as with patents? In this case, I suspect not.

Then there's the peer pressure from the magic community to go to at least reasonable lengths to attribute credit to originators. IMHO, if you take steps to state where you learned it, and try to trace the "family tree" back a little as to where your sources came from, that would make me happy. Some would say you have to go back to some caveman who discovered fire because without that we could not process rubber to make rubber bands and... well you get the idea...

Again, IMHO, I think that with just a little extra on your part to describe some of the origins of your knowledge and cite any credible originator or significant contributor to the work would be enough...

Good synopsis - for a lawyer's (my) answer, read my post at: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=60

Feel free to ask me any follow-up questions on it.

Arnon

P.S. Harry - I don't think the issue is whether JohnWells was joking or whether his post was relevant to the OP; the issue was respect. I cut my magic teeth on Closeup Card Magic, as many did, and I have the greatest respect for you and would never even consider making a snide remark about you.

Unfortunately, others do not honor those who have contributed so much to our art.

Sorry about that.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Agree with Arnon.

Most respect to Mr. Lorayne.
To believe is Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Can I share the method of this old trick--Ethics/legality (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL